Fieldsheer High-temp Mesh Jacket and Four Season Mesh pants or Tourmaster Air Intake 2 jacket and Ve

mgmidget72

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to get a set of mesh gear for both myself and my wife. We will be using it only during the summer for all-around use – commuting, day-trips, and touring. For other times of the year, we already have non-mesh gear that we’re happy with (although, my wife doesn’t have m/c pants yet). These are the sets that I’m considering:

Fieldsheer:
Jacket – High-temp Mesh
Pants – Four Season Mesh

Tourmaster:
Jacket – Air Intake 2
Pants – Venture Air

I like that the Tourmaster has separate wind and thermal liners letting us use the wind liner on cooler nights w/o having the bulk of a thermal liner. The Fieldsheer liner is a combined wind and thermal liner so we probably wouldn’t use it at all. Also, the Tourmaster is available locally so we could try it on. What I like about the Fieldsheer set is it’s combination of features and that it’s Fieldsheer. I’ve been happy with my current gear which is also Fieldsheer.

What do you think of these options?

Thanks,
Scott

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Wear a T-shirt.

I was riding with a friend when he went down in a mesh jacket at about 40km/h

may as well have been wearing nothing, after 15 feet there was no jacket left but the seams and zippers.

Z

zig

I own the TM Intake 2 and I love it. I ride to work every day with it and just took it out on a half-day trip in 95+degree weather and was totally comfortable the whole time. Obviously you should check the fit and finish in person, but the quality is definitely top notch in my opinion. The water/wind liner is nice and thin but the thermal liner bulks it up a bit so make sure to try it on with BOTH liners installed to get the right fit. The sleeves are adjustable so you can get the armor secured in the right spots, and the back protector is triple density too so you get some decent protection there. Bottom line: great jacket for the money, lots of flexibility, doesn't look too bad either :thumbup: good luck.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
may as well have been wearing nothing, after 15 feet there was no jacket left but the seams and zippers.
Well, that was 15 feet worth of skin he maybe kept... (but I'm surmising here...)

MGMidget, I have the Fieldsheer pants, and the Tourmaster Intake jacket, so hopefully I can help.

I've had the jacket for two years now, and I still like it. Had some trouble with the zippers earlier this year, but actually managed to pull them apart without damaging anything (thanks to the folks on this forum! :thumbup:) and it's still working. It fits me to a "T", and the girls swoon when I walk by (I'm pretty sure...) :D. However, the quality of build is not quite up to my 3/4-length Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket (my awesome winter coat) or my newly-acquired Fieldsheer pants. The zippers are flimsy, and the velcro wore out much quicker than on my other gear.

The Fieldsheer pants, as I said, are made very well. However, they are not very comfortable to me at all; the kneepads feel like I have wooden boards strapped to my knees while I'm on the bike (no problem when I'm standing/walking). Also, the breeze doesn't seem to flow thru them at all while I'm riding, although I think that's more due to the bike's fairings than the pants themselves, when I'm walking around on a windy day the breeze goes right thru (woohoo!) Another possibility is that these are regular pants, I normally wear Talls. I'll probably be sticking to my Slider jeans from now on, despite the fact they have no armor, just abrasion resistance via Kevlar.

If you have the means, try them both on yourself, and sit across a low stool in the store like you would on a bike and make revving sounds (ignore the stares) to see how they really feel on your own legs/arms.

Hope this helps, Good luck! :thumbup:

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a TM intake jacket. It is my 85 F and hotter jacket of choice. I had the TM venture pants. I sold them. They were OK, but too baggy so the armor did not stay where it was supposed to stay. I now use Olympia airglide pants.

Anyway, if you have multiple jackets, the the insulating layer means nothing. If it is could enough to use it, then it is cold enough to wear your more protective jacket.

I can't comment on the Fieldsheer. Whichever jacket you choose, make sure it is not mesh on the elbows and shoulders and make sure that it fits well WITHOUT the waterproof and insulating layers. Also, no that mesh jackets are a compromise---comfort vs protection

LittleRed

Reaction score
Visit site
The gear store that I work in has seen a lot of returns on Fieldsheer products due to manufacturer defects (seams coming undone prematurely, snaps breaking, material tearing, etc). Though a lot of their stuff is very good, their general quality control seems to be lacking... I don't have any direct experience with the TM line, but the one brand at my store that does very well (and that I trust my own skin to) is Joe Rocket- check out their Phoenix mesh jacket. It has very good construction and the mesh is quite durable. Have yet to find something about it to list as a con.

W

wrightme43

Have you considered perforated leather gear? I can vouch for the coolness, and the crashworthyness (yeah is that a word?) of it. I have pretty much given up on mesh gear, for perf leather with either perf leather pants or the kevlar lined jeans. I have crash tested them and I am very satisfied with the performance.

W

wrightme43

P.S. much much further than 15 feet, on leather and kevlar. Not a scratch on me.

Anarchy

Reaction score
Visit site
I slid through a ditch a couple months ago in the fieldsheer mesh pants and they held fine. The right knee has two holes in just the outside layer. I have some perforated leather pants and jacket now which i think are just as cool as the textile/mesh was.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried on the tourmaster Intake last sunday. It was a very heavy jacket compared to the Technic jacket I have now. Would any like to put some input on the weight of the jacket?

-bryan

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you really want to get the best bang for your buck, not having to ever worry about how your gear will hold up during a crash, consider kevlar.

Here's a link, the jackets and pants are custom made. If they can't fix it, they'll replace it. I got the Air Mesh Pants and Gloves. I'm thinking about getting the jacket.

Remember, leather will weaken over time as it gets wet. And certain textile will melt when subject to a slide due to friction. That's
melting onto road rash.

Kevlar Motorcycle Apparel - the Best in the World

http://www.600riders.com/forum/safety-equipment/18718-tear-abrasion-strength-s.html

TioEric

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know much about the Tourmaster pants but I love the Air Intake 2 jacket. The two liners can be worn separately or together and the overall quality of the jacket is very good.

I would not hesitate to recommend this jacket to you (especially if you can try it on first).

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the 4 season fieldsheer pants and I like them alot. I like the mix of textile and mesh panels on the pants and they vent very well, adjustable armor is also a plus for short folks like me.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you really want to get the best bang for your buck, not having to ever worry about how your gear will hold up during a crash, consider kevlar.

Here's a link, the jackets and pants are custom made. If they can't fix it, they'll replace it. I got the Air Mesh Pants and Gloves. I'm thinking about getting the jacket.

Remember, leather will weaken over time as it gets wet. And certain textile will melt when subject to a slide due to friction. That's
melting onto road rash.

Kevlar Motorcycle Apparel - the Best in the World

http://www.600riders.com/forum/safety-equipment/18718-tear-abrasion-strength-s.html

I have two friends I ride with and they both got the Kevlar jacket and pants from cycleport. Since we don't live far from the company, they were able to get custom alterations.
The main point is one of these friends was riding down Banner Grade, in front of me, and for the life of me to this day, I don't understand why he all of a sudden grabbed lots of front brake. That rear end unhooked really fast and he slammed lowsiding into the side of the mountain and then bounced out in front of me. I got around him and when I was able to stop and run back to him, I could see his gear did it's job and did it so well. I was so happy he was okay just a scratch on his thumb. The gear held up amazingly! I was sold on the Kevlar.

Cliff