Finally got my Fizzer a stablemate

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding Fizzer since 2007, my first motorcycle. I've always loved it but the legroom is kind've tight, and I can't ride for more than 1.5 hours or so at a time; I've always wanted to take long tours out here in the West. I've been thinking about a bigger bike for a long time now (and the old-timers here are probably tired of hearing me talk about it :rolleyes: ), but I test-drove this over a week ago, was supposed to get it Wednesday, finally got it late Friday afternoon:

BMWR1200GS.jpg

Its a 2009, 16,000 miles on her, almost immaculate, and was loaded with extras: ABS, electronic suspension adjustment (when you increase the rear spring preload the headlights adjust to compensate!), Akrapovic aftermarket muffler, aluminum side panniers, engine crash bars, bottom skid plate, cylinder head protection plates, heated grips, BMW battery charger, a brand new second set of tires, a used set of knobbie tires, and PIAA auxiliary front lights.

When I test-rode it I was impressed by the legroom, but now after spending a couple of days with it I'm having a slight bit of buyer's remorse. With a displacement twice that of Fizzer, I expected some pretty impressive pull but its kinda "meh". The seat is NOT comfortable, but an aftermarket replacement can fix that. Will just live with it for a few weeks before deciding anything or buying extra farkles.

Some interesting comparisons with Fizzer:
1. The clutch is much less sensitive! Yay!
2. The brakes are much more sensitive! Boo!
3. You can't beat a 4-cylinder for smooth idle and acceleration.
4. It just isn't fun like Fizzer (but, that's not why I bought it)
5. The tech on the Bimmer is incredible!
6. Heated handgrips are fantastic.

So, we'll see...

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations on your new bike Botch :rockon:
It looks sweet, It's a nice bike for touring :thumbup:

Looking forward to some nice pics when you get out and about. Don't neglect the fizzer tho :thumbup:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet bike, I can't help but think she'd look better with some aggressive knobbys on there at some point though :D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't mind heading to Utah over the weekend this spring or summer to meet you. You've been on this forum since 2007 we have never met, considering we were and still within a day's ride of each other.

Now you can pick your poison, nice having options huh. I would get that beamer set up with studded tires for the winter.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratz, I'm sure you'll love it!

my comments on your comparrisson;
1. The clutch is much less sensitive! Yay! the dry/hydraulic clutch works great, I agree.
2. The brakes are much more sensitive! Boo! Well that takes a few days, but the stopping power is AWESOME. Together with the para/telelever suspension you can brake HARD even in corners, bike wont make you go straight!
3. You can't beat a 4-cylinder for smooth idle and acceleration. Maybe, but you have soooooo much torque, get used to shifting a little more, but the power starts at low revs, allowing easy cruising, just find the sweetspot ;)
4. It just isn't fun like Fizzer (but, that's not why I bought it) I take it you havent run it throught some twisties in the mountains? because of the awesome suspension and the huge handlebar, lowend torque you make supersport bikes look like turtles in hairpins.
5. The tech on the Bimmer is incredible! Yeeeeees :D
6. Heated handgrips are fantastic. I know right?? I wear pretty thin gloves anytime because of those. much more control in warm hands compared to frozen fingers.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't mind heading to Utah over the weekend this spring or summer to meet you. You've been on this forum since 2007 we have never met, considering we were and still within a day's ride of each other.
And I was thinking of going up to Idaho to do the same! I've explored some of the southeast quadrant, but not the rest of the state, bet there's some great riding up there. :thumbup:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
very tidy. congrats. whenever a member gets a new bike i always feel kind of happy too (maybe because i see a lot of pics:BLAA:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratz, I'm sure you'll love it!

my comments on your comparrisson;
1. The clutch is much less sensitive! Yay! the dry/hydraulic clutch works great, I agree.
2. The brakes are much more sensitive! Boo! Well that takes a few days, but the stopping power is AWESOME. Together with the para/telelever suspension you can brake HARD even in corners, bike wont make you go straight!
3. You can't beat a 4-cylinder for smooth idle and acceleration. Maybe, but you have soooooo much torque, get used to shifting a little more, but the power starts at low revs, allowing easy cruising, just find the sweetspot ;)
4. It just isn't fun like Fizzer (but, that's not why I bought it) I take it you havent run it throught some twisties in the mountains? because of the awesome suspension and the huge handlebar, lowend torque you make supersport bikes look like turtles in hairpins.
5. The tech on the Bimmer is incredible! Yeeeeees :D
6. Heated handgrips are fantastic. I know right?? I wear pretty thin gloves anytime because of those. much more control in warm hands compared to frozen fingers.

i notice that i shift less on my dads 1150 because there's more torque.
and the telelever suspension makes braking and handling incredible.
oh and if you want it to be a little more fun take the shield off, too much wind protection makes you feel like your in a cage or worse.... on a cruiser:eek:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations! I agree with, once you find the sweet spots you'll be very happy with that motor! :rockon:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice Botch...and if your plans to explore bring you one state east, let me know. You'll have fun with that down in Moab.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i notice that i shift less on my dads 1150 because there's more torque.
and the telelever suspension makes braking and handling incredible.
oh and if you want it to be a little more fun take the shield off, too much wind protection makes you feel like your in a cage or worse.... on a cruiser:eek:

Yea but the first gear only goes to about 60-70km/h, where the fizzer does about a 100. It felt weird for me at first it stopped accelerating , but when you get used to upshifting to second or third sooner, its fine. But when you're in third you can go back to about 30km/h, pull on the gas and still go without any hesitation.

D

Dave.TX

Completely different motors with different focus on how to deliver power. I meet for lunch with a bunch of guys that have GS'es, from 650's to 1200's. One guy I know just bought his fifth 1150, he likes them more than the 1200. They love those bikes and they are just as quick in the twisties thanks to the super suspension. Give it time, you'll love it. So capable of touring: people take these around the world, down the Continental Divide, etc.

I can hit 65mph on my bike in first gear. If I launch correctly can get to 60 in under 3 seconds (so they say). Mine of course is an inline 4 with gobs of power. Normally I ride sensibly. I'm not always normal. The FZ6 was fun to ride and I still miss it at times, it's a great bike. But just like some like trucks and others like cars no one bike is "the one" for everyone.

Congrats on your new ride. Find a BMW forum or ADV forum where you can connect with other GS / Adventure riders. You've got a world class machine there.