Finally... I got low enough

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, that's not technically in the curriculum. I've mentioned it in a couple classes where students specifically ask about where there feet should be. But otherwise, it's a beginner course and we don't expect you to be scraping your feet. Crazy how 15 hours of instruction can't cover every possible question ;)

First time I scraped my boots I had a couple guys behind me and my toe sliders were titanium. They got a good spark show.

In the very first exercise (bike familiarization), when we do the demo, one of the coaches sits on the motorcycle (on center stand) while the other coach reads the cards. One of the things we ask students: "Where are his feet?" .. the coach on the bike should demonstrate that his feet are on pegs, near controls.. NOT under them, or over them :don'tknow:

Can't possibly expect everyone to remember each and every thing from the course though. We stuff a tremendous amount of information into students in very short amount of time.

Having said that, track riding is a different animal. Riders will absolutely have their left foot OVER shifter (remember.. reverse pattern) in a turn, so they can grab next higher gear as soon as they're ready.

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
In the very first exercise (bike familiarization), when we do the demo, one of the coaches sits on the motorcycle (on center stand) while the other coach reads the cards. One of the things we ask students: "Where are his feet?" .. the coach on the bike should demonstrate that his feet are on pegs, near controls.. NOT under them, or over them :don'tknow:

Can't possibly expect everyone to remember each and every thing from the course though. We stuff a tremendous amount of information into students in very short amount of time.

Having said that, track riding is a different animal. Riders will absolutely have their left foot OVER shifter (remember.. reverse pattern) in a turn, so they can grab next higher gear as soon as they're ready.

I think I'll start incorporating that :thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It took me a couple years to get in the habit of keeping the balls of my feet on the pegs; it really gives you a better feel for the road and more control. :thumbup:

When I was a teenager there was a long, steep hill near my home, which was fun to really build up speed on with my bicycle. One afternoon, I was approaching "max V", legs pumping madly, with my heels on the pedals, when the toe of my Size 12 sneaker caught the asphalt, and dragged my foot underneath the pedal.
The next thing I remember was pulling into my driveway, in some stranger's car (he'd witnessed my wreck) and my Mom completely freaking out from all the blood and abrasions. She removed the last of my t-shirt with two scissor snips, but I had no broken bones, teeth, or skull, which I'm sure of because I oh look a squirrel!

:D
Seriousry, I wonder how some of us old farts made it through childhood, without helmets, rubberized playgrounds, AC outlet caps and curfews... :rolleyes: