First bike, just made a deposit. Is it good? (pics included)

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello from Canada :)

First bike ever, limited experience rider (lots of small dirt bike experience about 10 years ago). Left a deposit for this 2007 FZ6 baby this morning, will pay in a couple of days. Did I make the right choice? It has about 7k kilometers on it (less than 5k miles!), price was around the 6k canadian mark.

Other than the little scuff on the right side, can you notice anything else going bad from the pics? How's the fact that the rear tire dust/wear is off-center---is that something from pushing it around the parking lot at the dealership, or it looks like wear?

(I haven't seen the bike in person yet, it's quite a drive to the dealership)

Thanks for your replies, looking forward to becoming a part of this community :)

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Wish you had a pick off bike directly from behind on center stand. But otherwise looks pristine. Congrats and good luck bro. :thumbup:

Rear blinker is broken off in one of the pics. Rear fender was chopped off in a very ugly way. Rear plate mount was relocated using some very crude bracket and rear plate light is missing completely. Right front blinker also looks like it's leaning down a bit.. when you get there take a look at it closely.. look inside the fairing and see if the mounting point for it is cracked. Push on the blinker gently inward.. compare it to the other side.
Tires look fine though. Rear fender will be easy enough to clean up with minimal investment.

That looks pretty nice Erci is right though, it looks like it fell on the right side, looks like a little scrape on the frame too. She's still a good ride though.:rockon:

EDIT: duh you saw the scuff, sorry.

Considering the year, no mods, the butchered back end I think you paid too much. Do youhave to pay tax on that 6k as well?

I purchased the same bike new from the dealer out the door price was $5970.00 USD in Seattle

I had to pay 12 percent Tax in Canada on that as well as a 200.00 Import Fee.
So after all said and done total will be about 6900.00.

And that was for a new 2007 in May 2008.

Frames been damaged. Ask for a close up pic of the "scuff" on the right side. That bike would be written off in my neck of the woods if there is a scratch on the frame. The scuffs on the tire are marks from being picked up from its right side...I wouldn't have any idea what they would look like myself....;)

fz6.jpg

Last edited:
I would ask for my deposit back , most insurance companies would write a bike off with that damage. One mark on the frame it is done.

Deposits are 100% absolutely refundable. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I would ask for my deposit back , most insurance companies would write a bike off with that damage. One mark on the frame it is done.

Deposits are 100% absolutely refundable. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Or at least renegotiate a lower price after an inspection by a mechanic.

Thanks everyone for the input! Lol, I was so excited...now not so much.. :( The botched rear doesn't bother me, in fact I like the looks I guess, and part of that ugly fender cut will be hidden by the plate anyway... But what could be a big damage from dropping it on the right side---that's a whole different story :((

Well, I called the dealer (Motorcycle Superstore in Scarborough near Toronto), they'll see if they can send me a pic of the scratch, but most probably they won't, which means I'll still have to take time off work, travel the 100km from Hamilton and see the bike before knowing for sure it's a keeper..

In the meantime, I've got a question for you: it doesn't look like there's massive damage on the side from the drop, does it? Well, if the frame is scratched a little---is that a sure guarantee that I'm throwing my money away, or there's a pretty big probability there's no serious damage and the bike is just fine? Aren't they supposed to certify and safety inspect it before selling it?

Please excuse me for the beginner questions!

(btw, the price is about 6k with all taxes included)

It is still too expensive imo. Maybe if it was in perfect condition, but not in this state. I bought a brand new 2009 last year and paid 7k + tx...

Well, a small update: I spoke to the dealership people, and the guy was super nice (another one, not my salesman as he wasn't in). He went to the bike, and he said that he is absolutely positive there is no damage to the frame and the scratch is barely visible. He'll leave a note to my guy to email me a close-up of the scratch, but he also said that when I come to see it, I'll be with the same opinion as him (no damage). Oh well..

Regarding the price---I looked and I looked, couldn't find a better deal, just one that was model 2005 and had 27k miles on it, and it was still about 5k... how do you people find these new bikes at these prices, lol

Bike looks good to me.. wouldn't sweat the scuff as long as the frame isn't damaged. Can't imagine any insurance company writing off that bike cuz of one little (what looks to be largely cosmetic) scratch, but what do I know..

Price-wise, buying a bike in the US or Quebec are kinda different than buying one in Ontario.. if you're willing to drive all the way out there and handle the import and taxes I guess you could get a lower price, but otherwise it is what it is.. all things considered looks good to me, congrats and ride safe!

+1 with Erci..

If I'm not mistaken, the front brake lever end is also ground down....

As the bike sits, with the broken directional, no tag light, Its not legal to ride (at least in Florida) as it sits. I suspect the used black electrical tape to fix that directional and just wrapped it to hold it up..

Its definitly been down.... Put it on the center stand and sit on with the handlebars straight. Look down the center. If it went down hard, the main fairing support will be bent, ie, one side will be higher than the other... That support is better tha $150 ,NOT INSTALLED...

IMHO, all that needs to be repaired. And yes, have a trusted mechanic look at it, their not telling everything....

As for your deposite, did they disclose all the damage and that its not street legal to ride as it sits??? Bet not... Nothing a threat with small claims court can't fix if it came down to that....

Good luck.

Last edited:
Run dont walk. The dealer is not been honest with you. This bike has been down, if you do buy it you will have a very hard time to sell it.

The rear is also missing the red side markers, you have to have them by law.

For the dealer to say the frame has no damage is crap, it is clear in the picture so in person it will show even more.

Well, if the frame is scratched a little---is that a sure guarantee that I'm throwing my money away, or there's a pretty big probability there's no serious damage and the bike is just fine?
If you ever intend on selling the bike, get one without a buggered frame. Even a scratch lowers the value ALOT to any prospective buyer. On the other hand, if you intend on riding this thing into the ground, someone else has given you a head start. The damage prob doesn't affect the bike rideability, just re-sale. Get it checked out by a mechanic that YOU trust too. Worth it if you are spending many thousands...whats a hundred bucks or two?

Take the time and by one in the USA, with our strong dollar and the cheaper bikes you will be ahead. Its easy to do.

Here is one that is not too far from you - A 2008 $4500 USD asking.

2008 Yamaha FZ6

Or a 2009 asking $5300.00

2009 Yamaha FZ6

A red 2007 asking 4100.00

2007 yamaha FZ6

Here is a 2006 in Barrie , Has a Scorpion custom exhaust . Price is high but maybe negotiable?
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...s-2006-Yamaha-FZ6-LOW-KMS-W0QQAdIdZ295188739#

A 2006 with only 100km in Moose Creek, ON
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-2006-Yamaha-FZ6-W0QQAdIdZ289691376

Last edited:
If you ever intend on selling the bike, get one without a buggered frame. Even a scratch lowers the value ALOT to any prospective buyer. On the other hand, if you intend on riding this thing into the ground, someone else has given you a head start. The damage prob doesn't affect the bike rideability, just re-sale.

Given that I'm a beginner rider, I did a very careful research as to what bike I would like to buy, which will suit me both as a beginner and later as I gain more experience. That said, I'm very much convinced the FZ6 is the best choice and I'll keep it for quite a while.

That said, everybody says that everyone will drop their bike in the first year or so...and no matter how strong my plans to never let it drop are, just wanting something doesn't give me enough power to beat the physics... perhaps buying this will save my hairs from being pulled when I drop it...cause it was dropped already hence not perfect...

I hope if anything, you guys will be at least entertained by my noob statements, hope I gave you a good laugh!:cheer:

Cheers!

Back