First crash EVER, in ~26 years of riding

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my first crash in T3 at Thunderbolt last year... and my second crash yesterday in T4 at Thompson. No injuries or real damage on either.

Did you listen to everybody and get track plastics yet for that bike?

Ah yes.. T3 is a common one, especially when cold. Awesome that you've come away without injuries or damage both times!

No race plastics still. The plan is to keep using stock parts until I destroy them. OEM plastics are still good after this crash. I know the benefits of track bodywork (lighter, far easier to remove/install).

The one item I want is rearsets. My BP is *OK*, but I'm scraping my boots here and there. And of course OEM rearsets held up perfectly in this crash :rolleyes:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're alright!! This goes to show that it's great to use a second track only bike, I know you'd be extremely saddened if your 'Z1 was damaged and you didn't have anything for the street.

Also, damn those crank case covers haha. They always seem to be the biggest issue in crashes (though it sounds like your new covers should solve that problem in the future...and by future I mean one where you won't actually NEED them to work!)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woodcraft rearsets are nice. The pegs don't fold so if you do crash the peg helps keep the bike off the ground. Longer clippon bars assist in that too. And Woodcraft sells replacement parts at very reasonable prices.

Oh and internal axle mounted sliders don't break. With all of those things the bike just surfs along. If it tumbles all bets are off!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crap! Sucks especially so early in the session. Really glad you are OK and good to see you talking about getting back and kickin' it.

Eric's Birthday list:

New crankcase cover
Straight steering stop
Replacement swingarm spool
:)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One other item (it never ends), do you have an adjustable steering damper?

The R6 is very solid but it will shake its head hard as you crest a rise under hard throttle.

It will help keep your underwear clean.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One other item (it never ends), do you have an adjustable steering damper?

The R6 is very solid but it will shake its head hard as you crest a rise under hard throttle.

It will help keep your underwear clean.

LOL.. yup, damper is on my list too. My bike has none :(

Definitely shakes in few spots on the tracks I ride. So far it has not been bad.. very manageable and not really *scary*, but obviously don't want a full-on tank slapper. Actually have R6 geometry question for you.. I'll PM you, Pete.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok man. Get it right and ride!

Is there a rule for going around once or twice very conservatively to warn your tires up? I've never been to a track, but that's what I would do. Run your own race.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok man. Get it right and ride!

Is there a rule for going around once or twice very conservatively to warn your tires up?

It's not a rule, but it is a suggestion and is noted in every rider's meeting (before 1st session of the day). I definitely got on it a bit too soon. Lesson learned (I hope :) )

Alternatively.. TIRE WARMERS.. never ends with this *hobby*