First Gear problem, when downshifting..

1slowz

Reaction score
Visit site
So, my bike has 12k miles, its an 09' and it runs great. Just recently when trying to down shift to first gear it wont go into gear. It stays in second, wont even downshift into N. I have found that I have to lift the gear shifter up a little bit with my toe and then push it back down and it will then go into first just fine.

I adjusted the shift lever last night, rode it around and it was a little better, but when in first, it doesnt snap back up after shifting gears. Every other gear when I shift into gear automatically pops back down to the normal resting position and then lets me upshift just fine.

Any ideas of what might be the problem? I am assuming the internal spring in the gear box...

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry can't offer any mechanical thoughts, but when was the oil last changed..? Normal shifting improves after changing the oil, and the ' clunk ' into first gear is improved. How long has this been occurring and how lo.g you had the bike. . . :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull up the PDF stickied in this thread "FZ6 Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls , Manuals, ect..." http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/28030-full-workshop-service-manual-2007-fz6.html

There is a trouble shooting section and a diagram in that manual. I'd start by pulling the cover off and looking inside tho. Also, can you duplicate this with the engine off? If so, I bet you can see the action and determine if its internal to the trans or the cam rotator assembly under the cover.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
first thing I'd suggest is clutch cable adjustment, check it for excessive
free play at the lever, too much will cause the clutch to not completely
disengage when pulling lever in and can make shifting harder