First Road Trip...

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
So after 3 years of riding, I have finally decided to go on a road trip with a friend.
We will go from Chicago to New Orleans, stopping in Nashville (2 nights) on the way down, then spend 3 nights in New Orleans and Memphis (1 night) on the way back to Chicago. We have booked our places in Nashville and New Orleans, so need to make those stops in time, but have an extra day just in case. I'm taking a full week off work, which I have only done once before over 10 years. Very excited/ nervous that it will go well.

I changed my oil and coolant this summer, tires are solid, and will lube my chain before I leave (2009 w/ 10k miles). I will only have two smallish saddle bags, but since I am travelling in the south I only plan to bring a few t shirts, shorts, and other essentials, then do laundry half way through.

Love to hear from anyone else on tips or tricks from a maintenance, packing, or endurance standpoint. Ive read a bunch of the check lists available on the web, but most of them are for folks that are camping as well.

J

jesse_sanders

Bring tools with you. I'd bring a spare clutch cable and anything else you think you may need.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Bring a small can or bottle of chain lube; I lube my chain every other fuel stop. Walmart sells small natural sponges for cleaning your visor, just go to the gas station rest room wet the sponge and a few drops of hand soap will not scratch. Light rain gear could save your day. If you have a tank bag which is recommended have a platypus water bag with a optional drinking tube to route up under your helmet's chin bar to drink as you are traveling. A bandana for wetting and draping over your neck for cooling. CELL PHONE! A Yamaha will not need spare parts, just a quick fastener check before you leave.Good luck and have fun. .

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I drove from North GA to Houston, TX one Summer and passed through LA and MI on the way.

1) It will get hot. Don't forget sunscreen on the parts of you that are exposed to the sun. I had nice tan lines on my wrists in spots my gloves didn't cover.
2) Obviously bring good rain gear. I got hailed on in East TX. PVC coated roll top bags are incredibly effective given their cost.
3) Bring some water, preferably in a hydration bladder but a water bottle will do.
4) LA is notorious (so I heard) for interstate traffic jams. Something happened when I was traveling due East and it backed the interstate up until nightfall. Ended up taking back roads thru MI. Avoid LA interstate if possible, or have a map / back up plan if a jam occurs.
5) With the stock windscreen, stock handlebars, and a wrist rest I could do about 450 milers per day until significant fatigue and a sore neck set in. Consider a tall windscreen. After 2 days straight on the interstate in those conditions I was tired. My bike currently has a Madstad windscreen and will very shortly have touring bars (pull back risers work, too), crash bars with highway pegs, and a mechanical throttle lock. Comfort seat or a Spencer seat modification are highly advised as well.
6) If you don't want highway pegs consider at least lowering your stock pegs, unless you are comfortable on the stock pegs for an entire day.
7) Take your chain lube with you. I had a chain link seize during the trip and the only thing that kept the chain going was a fresh coat of lube every few hundred miles.
8) Bring a lock for your helmet at the very least.
9) If you ride at night, it gets very dark in the deep south, especially in Mississippi. Consider upgrading your headlights if you will drive at night.

10) Nashville has a great nightlife. Hit Broadway between 5th street and 1st after dark for a good time.
11) If you like tea or coffee do yourself a huge favor and hit Davis Cookware in Nashville. Talk to the brothers that own the store, let them tell you about their product, buy something herbal or caffeinated...I promise you will not be disappointed.
12) See what's playing at the Bridgestone arena and other venues. If you like music at all there's probably something interesting.

Good luck!

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the great info.

Is there a small bottle of lube that yall use for the chain when travelling? I would rather not bring my 'can' of stuff.

I go to Nashville every year and have never heard of Davis Cookware, and I love me some coffee. Will certainly make that stop

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the great info.

Is there a small bottle of lube that yall use for the chain when travelling? I would rather not bring my 'can' of stuff.

I go to Nashville every year and have never heard of Davis Cookware, and I love me some coffee. Will certainly make that stop

Not sure of the brand but I got a small bottle from my local motorcycle dealer that looks like this. Not recommending that brand (never actually heard of it), just observing that style of bottle exists.

Also while doing an image search for motorcycle chain lube I learned that apparently a few people have tried to lube their chain while their engine was running and lost the tips of several of their fingers. I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to do that, but let it be a warning to everyone else like it was to me.

crazydmc

Reaction score
Visit site
... apparently a few people have tried to lube their chain while their engine was running and lost the tips of several of their fingers. I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to do that, but let it be a warning to everyone else like it was to me.

I always have the engine running, wheel turning (on center stand) when lubing my chain... I just don't put my hand in the chain.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
My hubby and I leave in a week for an 8-9 day trip up into Canadian Rockies. I can't wait. I've been working on our route.

This will be our 4th big multi-day trip. We've learned a few things....

1) Preplan your fuel stops. Know your fuel range and don't push its limits. Use Google Maps (or another app) to figure out miles between main cities on your route. Get as close as you can to your fuel range without going over. On one trip, we were in hot tub chatting with couple riding H-D. He had to pay a guy $10 for a gallon of gas from his lawnmower to make it to the next town. Lesson learned the hard way. He thought that was gas in a tiny town, but the gas station had closed down.

2) Bring a change of shoes for off-bike time. What I want to do more than anything else when I get to the hotel is take off my boots. I like to plan on walking to restaurants that way if I have an adult beverage or two I don't have to worry about getting back on the bike.

3) I agree that 450 miles per day is best. I think leaving early am (7amish) is best. That way your can get to your destination that night before dark. We try for 5pm to beat the local "commute" traffic.

I am always ready to be home the last day, but then the very next day I wish I was back on the bike. I always find I hate going into the hotel room at night. Always seems stuffy after being outside in the wind all day.

Remember to make a post ride report. Interested to hear if you learn anything and of course pictures are cool!

Have a great trip!! Enjoy the miles of Smiles. Rubber side down... ATGATT

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As Monica mentioned pre plan your fuel stops is a great idea but it's more important for us out west than the region you'll be in. A camelback that you start off freezing the night before is a great thing to have. Allows you to enjoy sipping ice cold water while you ride and keeps you hydrated. I'm not a fan of putting something over my back like a backpack but the camelback is well worth it. Rain gear is a must. Throttlemeister or something similar that will allow you to free up your throttle hand is a real bonus. Carrying an extra clutch cable is not necessary. Your bike is still rideable if it fails, which I doubt it will. Chances of you having a flat will be greater so I would carry a tire repair kit instead. I never carried lube, I either borrowed or bought a small can when I needed it. Most motorcycle shops are generous enough to
Provide some. If you need a place to dry out your gear while your riding, major truck stops has washers and dryers. Throw them in the dryer while you eat, you can refuel, eat and dry out if you stop at a truck stop. Always take your helmet with you, don't leave anything on the bike that can dissapear in seconds.

Wear your gear! More the better. You will be a long ways from home. I've gone down in California when I lived in Vegas. I took a head first baseball slide for about 30 feet while I watched my bide slide even farther in front of me. If I didnt have my riding pants and jacket, I would have ended up in the hospital. But I had my gear on and I just picked up my bike and rode off. That can be the difference. So gear up!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As previously mentioned, a tire plug kit and compressor.

My friend would carry one on his bike, I'd carry the other on mine.

And plus one on chain lube..

And update your GPS BEFORE you leave.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of the advice. I friend will be riding his GSXR, so a ride straight through wont be an option :)

My saddle bags are somewhat sizable (if I can get them mounted correctly), but still only plan on bringing half the amount of clothes and doing laundry half way though somewhere.