Flashing break LEDs add-on

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys!

So, I did my first electrical mod last night, and added a couple flashing 16 LEDs hooked to my brake light (not a replacement, just addition). This should increase visibility when breaking, they are definitely bright, and I think it can only help. I bought the LEDs from Cycle Gadgets (Hyper Lites LED brake lights).

The installation was a little bit of work, and I took my time since I didn't want to rush anything, and I had no experience in doing this project. I was done in about 2.5 hours, with a couple breaks in between phases. I hooked up the line to the break connector under the left rear fairing, routed the wire through the frame under the exhaust, drilled a small hole in the rear plastic fender right behind the license plate, and used the provided license plate frame to anchor the LEDs. At the end of the day, with a couple zip ties, electrical tape and patience, it looks really clean.

I just feel dumb that I didn't take pics during the project. I can post some pics of the end product if anybody cares.

Thanks for reading, I just had to proclaim my victory to somebody for an ego boost :BLAA:

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
would love to see pics. I've done something similar on my previous bike, only I built one from scratch. Am thinking to do the same for this bike and thinking of where to mount it.

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
would love to see pics. I've done something similar on my previous bike, only I built one from scratch. Am thinking to do the same for this bike and thinking of where to mount it.

Smersh: I will take pics and post them in the next couple days. At the end of it all, it's a really easy install, I was just more cautious since I've never done this before. :cheer:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To the OP, I'll save you the trouble. I've had mine for over three years.

I also have a Headlght Modulator too, and I love it. Really works well.

LEDON3-Optimized.jpg

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pics VEGASRIDER!

Here are a few more pics I took last night. Sorry for the quality, you need to click on the pics to show the superb arrows I drew :BLAA:

First one shows the wires coming out from behind the license plate.
Second pic shows the wires that connect the license plate light and blinkers, and where I also put the LED wires.
Third pic is where I mounted the LED controller, and made the connection to the rear break wire, all under the left rear fairing.
And last pic shows the LEDs working, same placement as VEGASRIDER, just much worse of a picture than his :eek:

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh by the way, that's a LED license plate light that goes across my plate in addition to the Hyper Lites. Freaking bright as hell, you can see me from miles away.

***FYI I believe in the state of California, the law states that you cannot have them modulate. But it has never been an issue whenever I'm in California.

Last edited:

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh by the way, that's a LED license plate light that goes across my plate in addition to the Hyper Lites. Freaking bright as hell, you can see me from miles away.

***FYI I believe in the state of California, the law states that you cannot have them modulate. But it has never been an issue whenever I'm in California.

Vegasrider: I was wondering what that license plate light was, thinking exactly that: WOW! That's bright :BLAA:

Regarding the modulation, I would know what to tell you (legal or not). I have a friend who has it modulated as well, and he's never had any issues with Law enforcement. I don't think we can do the light modulation if you use any HID upgrades, can you?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Vegasrider: I was wondering what that license plate light was, thinking exactly that: WOW! That's bright :BLAA:

Regarding the modulation, I would know what to tell you (legal or not). I have a friend who has it modulated as well, and he's never had any issues with Law enforcement. I don't think we can do the light modulation if you use any HID upgrades, can you?

Headlight modulator only works on normal bulbs.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site

If you are talking about the brake light modulation, for some reason I think it is legal in California, just has to be a specfic sequence: flash-flash-flash----flash-flash-flash----flash-flash-flash. I have a brake light modulator that gives the option of the above sequence or a quick strobing sequence that I consider to be much more attention getting, so that's what I use. If I ever get to California, I'll see if they pull me over.

Gobs

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job!
I too think some red flashes may help to alert. And funny as I'm just working on a similar mod...
I did my own "modulator" to give flash-flash-flash-flash-steady. That's to say four flashes then LEDs steady bright.
Everything works well on the bench. Now I've to mount it on the bike.

I'll show you when ready.

Cheers,
Gobs

JustinID

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job!
I too think some red flashes may help to alert. And funny as I'm just working on a similar mod...
I did my own "modulator" to give flash-flash-flash-flash-steady. That's to say four flashes then LEDs steady bright.
Everything works well on the bench. Now I've to mount it on the bike.

I'll show you when ready.

Cheers,
Gobs

If it all works right (and looks good!), would you mind posting up a schematic and maybe a how-to?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site

VegasRider.. can you give a link to the led license plate light? I am all googled out the wazoo right now. so many to choose from. :D