Flashing gauge, won't start (or crank at all) - oh noes

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, I'm going to go grab that from Walmart in about half an hour and hopefully that will help it start a little better.

In other random news - I did that dual headlight mod... I can't remember who, but back in the day (maybe still) one of you fabricated and sold that custom made cable that you could wire into the factory harness and then your bulb plug for the dual headlight mod. I retrofitted HIDs at the same time I did that. I've got both lights on, but my light switch does nothing. Doesn't go from two to one, high to low, nothing. My brights are on at all times. The switch does activate the blue dash indicator light for your brights being on but nothing actually changes, the "shield" in the HIDs doesn't move, etc. The more that I look into things the more I feel like I've gotta have some electrical gremlins somewhere.

I will put in the fuel additive and ride it around a bit and let you know if it starts to start a little better. Thanks for all the help.

Your very welcome, glad to hear your on two wheels!

Sounds like you did the BD43 mod, don't know why their stuck on HB.

Sounds like a different issue altogther.. You do know the left bulb filiment (as you sit on the bike won't change. Just the right one should go up(HB) and down (LB), filiments changing with the switch..

Last edited by a moderator:

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
I bought some STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner. The tech one just said it was for injectors (at least what they had).

I put half the bottle in; it said to do the full bottle, but that that was for up to 22 gallons. I only had 1.5 to 2 gallons in the tank so I put about half, figuring that would be concentrated enough to clean it before I filled it up again.

I went and rode... I dont know, a mile. I looked down and my Odo had turned to "F:" as when it turns when you're on a low tank. My indicator wasnt flashing one bar (the fuel gauge) but showed one solid bar. When I got back and turned off the bike, I saw "Error 2" or maybe "Error 4" flash for a SPLIT second on the panel as I took the key out. I turned the key back on and off a few times, didn't happen again.

As of right now when I turn the key the fuel gauge is NOT flashing and while I have the "low fuel" odometer counter, the one bar on the gauge is solid and not flashing.

Could this fuel cleaner could have fixed that issue in literally a mile or less after putting it in? This is literally the THIRD time something has not worked and then ALL OF A SUDDEN started working - The fuel pump priming, the bike starting, and now the fuel gauge flashing. Does my Fz just have some incredible will to live? I'm thankful but still pretty confused, I've literally done *nothing* to the bike since last posting, aside putting the fuel stuff in.

Edit: Put in 5 bucks of gas. Gauge shows tank 3/4 full. Still no more flashing. My bike is clearly magic and auto-repairs itself.

Still LONG starts. Last one was almost 10 seconds before it catches. The starter's going strong for those ten seconds, it's not chugging by or anything, but its still weird. I'm hoping this fuel cleaner helps with that? Once it's on it runs great.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought some STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner. The tech one just said it was for injectors (at least what they had).

I put half the bottle in; it said to do the full bottle, but that that was for up to 22 gallons. I only had 1.5 to 2 gallons in the tank so I put about half, figuring that would be concentrated enough to clean it before I filled it up again.

I went and rode... I dont know, a mile. I looked down and my Odo had turned to "F:" as when it turns when you're on a low tank. My indicator wasnt flashing one bar (the fuel gauage) but showed one solid bar. When I got back and turned off the bike, I saw "Error 2" or maybe "Error 4" flash for a SPLIT second on the panel as I took the key out. I turned the key back on and off a few times, didn't happen again.

As of right now when I turn the key the fuel gauge is NOT flashing and while I have the "low fuel" odometer counter, the one bar on the gauge is solid and not flashing.

Could this fuel cleaner could have fixed that issue in literally a mile or less after putting it in? This is literally the THIRD time something has not worked and then ALL OF A SUDDEN started working - The fuel pump priming, the bike starting, and now the fuel gauge flashing. Does my Fz just have some incredible will to live? I'm thankful but still pretty confused, I've literally done *nothing* to the bike since last posting, aside putting the fuel stuff in.

Edit: Put in 5 bucks of gas. Gauge shows tank 3/4 full. Still no more flashing. My bike is clearly magic and auto-repairs itself.

Still LONG starts. Last one was almost 10 seconds before it catches. The starter's going strong for those ten seconds, it's not chugging by or anything, but its still weird. I'm hoping this fuel cleaner helps with that? Once it's on it runs great.
Well... I beg to differ! You did do things to the bike. Sometimes a contact might get oxidized from being in the open position for long period. Exercising the relays may have physically removed resistance from contacts. Not that I will ever stop believing in magic or in things I may not have understanding of yet. You got things moving! You did tests! You did a lot of good work! Adding the fuel injector cleaner may have helped remove debris that was between the fuel sensor wiper and the wire resistor assembly.
Next part of fixing a bike will be about, "Intent" Lol! [emoji14] Sorry I could not get back to you today. Yes something was done and yes...It's all magic!
Call me tomorrow about your HIDs.

Sent from Moto's Motorola

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed with Cliff.

You did do a bunch of work.

Now you have fuel in it and the gas gauge is rubbing up against its contacts and cleaning things making contact again.

I wouldn't run that much STP, that's likely causing the longer starts now. Run that out and run it no more than 2x the recommended amount PER GALLON. Your WAY more than that. I strongly suspect its not even flammable (never used it) so the flammability of your fuel is lessened (harder starting, won't run quite as well).

Also, most engines/certain mechainical parts, DO NOT LIKE TO SIT for long periods of time. If not stored correctly, even more so... Tanks rust, batteries die, fuel fouls, collects moisture, etc.

Best thing your doing is running it and getting it good and hot.

Please keep us updated.. :thumbup:

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Agreed with Cliff.

You did do a bunch of work.

Now you have fuel in it and the gas gauge is rubbing up against its contacts and cleaning things making contact again.

I wouldn't run that much STP, that's likely causing the longer starts now. Run that out and run it no more than 2x the recommended amount PER GALLON. Your WAY more than that. I strongly suspect its not even flammable (never used it) so the flammability of your fuel is lessened (harder starting, won't run quite as well).

Also, most engines/certain mechainical parts, DO NOT LIKE TO SIT for long periods of time. If not stored correctly, even more so... Tanks rust, batteries die, fuel fouls, collects moisture, etc.

Best thing your doing is running it and getting it good and hot.

Please keep us updated.. :thumbup:

I'm glad you said that as I was just about to put the rest in the tank. It's starting normally maybe once in 10 starts, otherwise its literally 6-10 seconds of cranking before the engine comes to life.

Aside from that everything is good. Im having a hard time trusting my gas gauge right now; It is depleting over time but very slowly, and Ive been away long enough that I cant remember if this was normal mileage, or if I maybe bent the arm the floater is on? Obviously if I bent it it would shower higher or lower than what I really have. Ive been shaking the tank to try to determine what is left compared to what is displayed.

I realized that after not riding so long, even though everything seems to be second nature still Im all of a sudden TERRIFIED about deep leaning into turns. I took the turn into my neighborhood way too wide today and if a car had been there I would have plowed into it. I think I just need to take it slow until it comes back to me; I know all the fundamentals, it's just been a while.

I met a guy here who happened to be on his bike at a gas station, and he took me to a place people ride near baton rouge called the "alligators tail". It sorta reminded me of the dragons tail; not as intense but VERY curvy, steep drops on either side, surrounded by swamp/bayou and tall trees on both sides. The temp dropped like 20 degrees once we got between the trees, and on a hot day it was great. It was great to be riding normally again and stay out for an hour or two when just a couple days ago I couldn't even get it to start!

Thanks again to everybody that helped, especially Moto. I either would not have been able to do this on my own without your help, or it would have taken me a month longer to figure it all out. I'll try to run the tank down a bit more and then fill it up with fresh gas, and hopefully that fixes the starting issue. I'm hoping it's the fuel additive like you said!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you cranking/starting with NO throttle?? It shouldn't need any throttle input starting hot or cold..

Your fuel gauge is differnt than my S2 but I've found I can run about 47 miles before the fuel gauge goes down one notch. Double that mileage, another notch, etc.

I'd just top it off, know you can get close to 200 miles per tank and re-set the trip odometer..

You can also check your mileage simply by topping off the tank, ride x # of miles and top off again.

Divide Miles driven by gallons topped off and you have your MPG.

Re the gauge, if you top the tank off, the gauge should read ALL the bars showing. If not, its probably tweeked slighty, could be the last little bit has a crappy connection but I doubt it..

With a little over 5 gallons in the tank, multiply the mileage times 5, you know know what you can get out of your tank total.

If I ride easy on the throttle, the best I've gotten is 48 MPG. Hard launches, high rev's, etc, down to 44MPG or so...

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Are you cranking/starting with NO throttle?? It shouldn't need any throttle input starting hot or cold..

Your fuel gauge is differnt than my S2 but I've found I can run about 47 miles before the fuel gauge goes down one notch. Double that mileage, another notch, etc.

I'd just top it off, know you can get close to 200 miles per tank and re-set the trip odometer..

You can also check your mileage simply by topping off the tank, ride x # of miles and top off again.

Divide Miles driven by gallons topped off and you have your MPG.

Re the gauge, if you top the tank off, the gauge should read ALL the bars showing. If not, its probably tweeked slighty, could be the last little bit has a crappy connection but I doubt it..

With a little over 5 gallons in the tank, multiply the mileage times 5, you know know what you can get out of your tank total.

If I ride easy on the throttle, the best I've gotten is 48 MPG. Hard launches, high rev's, etc, down to 44MPG or so...

Yes, no throttle. Sometimes I try giving a little bit but only after its already been cranking for 5+ seconds. Normally it started in a second, second and a half at most. Probably less. It's done that once or twice, usually right when I try to show somebody how long it takes to start (of course).

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Dumped tank. Fresh gas. Still taking a very, very long time to start. Will randomly start alright 1 of 5-6 attempts. For the first time it wouldn't start at all - starter cranked for about 3 seconds then died. Started on second attempt after ~8 seconds. Starting to worry me. Not really sure what it could be.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dumped tank. Fresh gas. Still taking a very, very long time to start. Will randomly start alright 1 of 5-6 attempts. For the first time it wouldn't start at all - starter cranked for about 3 seconds then died. Started on second attempt after ~8 seconds. Starting to worry me. Not really sure what it could be.

When you say, "starter cranked for about 3 seconds then died", it sounds like your battery is run down. When was the last time the bike had new plugs. If you haven't gapped a set to the specs yourself I would get a new set, gap them to the specification (not as they come out of the box) and install. Charge your battery and have it load tested. If you're restarting your bike too often you will run your battery down. :)

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
When you say, "starter cranked for about 3 seconds then died", it sounds like your battery is run down. When was the last time the bike had new plugs. If you haven't gapped a set to the specs yourself I would get a new set, gap them to the specification (not as they come out of the box) and install. Charge your battery and have it load tested. If you're restarting your bike too often you will run your battery down. :)

I have been running it (riding, not idling, obviously) for a decent amount of time before killing/starting it again.

The battery is brand new from two days before we talked on the phone - when I bought it I had trickle charged it overnight to be safe. The battery seems fine, and when it's cranking it sounds strong - the starter is going strong for those 5-10 seconds, the engine just doesn't seem to catch. I'm not sure why - I'm not sure if it's flooding with gas until eventually it starts, or what.

I have never checked the spark plugs. I know that's terrible, I just don't know much about them. Before I left I had some routine maintenance done that I believe included that - from sitting so long could they have been gunked up or something?

Also keep in mind that once it's on the bike runs GREAT. Now I haven't ridden it in two years so I supposed that it has less power and I just haven't ridden in so long that it SEEMS okay to me, but I don't really have anybody else local to check it out for me for some reference.

Edit:
Are there any specific plugs you guys suggest?