Flat after 5 miles

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I had my new tyres fitted Wednesday, rode it straight home, 5 miles, put it away. Tried to move it out of the garage the next day and it was like a brick, front tyre was flat. I Phoned the dealer, says you probably picked up a puncture. :eek: So they came and picked the bike up. They tested it could not find any problems, including the valve. Sometimes they said the tyre does not seal. They put it back on the bike and kept it overnight to see if it did it again, but it was fine. Took it for a long ride this morning and it seems perfect. The dealer was very good about it, but I have no idea why it went down. :don'tknow:

Will it be OK tomorrow????

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's weird. I don't have experience with m/c tires, but on cars there is a groove on the inside of the rim that the bead of the tire fits into to make a good seal.

When you inflate a car tire after putting it on a rim, you can hear the bead slip into the groove because it makes a loud pop. When I was changing tires, I would always listen for two pops to make sure that both beads seated properly. If they didn't pop, I'd deflate the tire, break (pop out of the groove) the beads, lubricate the beads, and start over because of the potential for a leak. Sounds like this is what your shop is trying to imply happened.

If it were me, I would keep an eye on the tire and the valve stem for a while, but I'd be more confident that it was a fluke as time went on.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, the bead probably did not seat correctly the first time around. Keep an eye on it, if it does go down again I'd ask to have tire removed and inspected for a slight mold deviation, or some nick or slight defect on the bead on the rim itself...

Just my 2... Good luck!

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Friend and I just did a 30 Min. hard ride on some twisties about an hour ago. When he got here he had 15 pounds in his rear tire, he didn't even feel it on his way to my house. Two weeks ago he was down to about 10 pounds and again someone had to tell him it looks low he didn't feel it even after riding it 35 miles to work??? I don't know how he can't feel that, he is 225+ pounds on a 600 gsxr. I am only 160 pounds and I can feel when my tire is down around 25 pounds. I think he has the same problem though, tire looks good so its bead or stem.

W

wrightme43

Get a old spray bottle and fill it with a mixture of dish soap and water. Spray the tire, wheel, valve stem, and core. Watch for the formation of big bubbles.

Sometimes they fail to seat sometimes a tire is leaker, sometimes the tech fails to install a new valve stem or sometimes a valve stem fails.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I did 150 miles on it on Friday and it was perfect. The BT-016s feel amazing.

That's great! Sounds like you just had an anomaly with that leak. Probably a bead or valve leak. Could have even been the valve wasn't seated all the way and the just needed to snug it up.

I've been using the BT-021's with good success. I would switch to the BT-016's but because I ride the majority of the year in warm weather the 021's give me lots of grip early on. Had the rubber on the back tire all curled up from the heated rides I was doing yesterday. That dual compound does it's job very well. Hardly ever ride in the rain here so can't say how they would perform in cooler wetter environments. Might switch to the 016's to see how thay do cuz everyone seem to really like them.

Cliff

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I did 150 miles on it on Saturday and it was perfect. The BT-016s feel amazing.

Hey, that's the tire (pair) that I purchased today. Going to mount them a little bit later (still have tread left on my originals). I imagine that the BT016's won't have a real good tread life (but hold the road well)