For the tent campers out there...

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I'm in a dilemma. I'm going to be getting a nice canvas tent, and now have to decide on my bedding. My thoughts drifted to foam pads and air mattresses. Having used a mattress pad before and gotten only 1 use out of it, I've decided I don't want an air mattress.

For a foam pad, I can't find anything that is the size of a FULL (this is because I will more than likely be camping 95% of the time with my bunkmate:))

Questions:

1) What do you use for two people?
2) Do you think buying 2-3 inch thick dense foam and cutting to size would be a good option?
3) Should I just suck it up and buy another air mattress even though I don't really like them?

Remember...I'm not packing this on my FZ ha-ha, but in my Jeep. :squid:

robbijer

Reaction score
Visit site
1) For the wife and I we use full size air mattress

2)I have used foam in the past but they take up more space while in transport and storing

3)Might as well buy another air mattress, you can pick them up pretty cheap and if you lay a blanket down underneith they can last a while before getting punctured.

Good luck, I can't wait for camping season either

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't really help with comfort for two while camping in a tent if you want to keep it light/small enough for motorcycle camping (if that was even your intention), but if you each get a thermarest pad, they pack relatively small. If your carrying it in a car, get the air mattress.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a cott and a self inflating air mattress. They are pretty comfortable. Now if you are motorcycle camping you don't have room. Plus the canvas tents are heavier than the nylon ones. I have a couple of those of different sizes. I however cheated this winter and bought a tent trailer for a steal. $200.00 and have put in $600.00. It's 12' long but 21' long when extended. It's old but in sweet shape. I can't wait to try it out. I want to go to the Oregon coast to go camping this month fto take it for a test drive. I will put and put the FZ6 in the back for day trips. Camping is great. :thumbup:

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
I use an air mattress at work, and as you can imagine in my job, stuff gets pretty beat up and I've never had an issue with mine in 3 years and it lays right on the bare ground over roots, sticks, whatever!
Just be carefull and they should be fine to use!

Here is my tent set up:
View attachment 15084

Big enough for a double air mattress and space to move around!

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
so it looks like general consensus would be air mattress. Anybody have any brands that they "swear by"?

I'm thinking Coleman or Aero bed...I know my last one wasn't one of those.

FZZ6ER

Reaction score
Visit site
Love the Therm-a-Rest! The lady and I travel all over with ours. Don't forget the Therm-a-Rest "Universal Couple Kit" (attaches two together).

HowlFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I too use the Therm-A-Rest. They can be pricey, but they pack light and and provide plenty of comfort.

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok... Lets milk this topic.:D The ONLY thing better than one therm-a-rest mattress is possibly two therm-a-rest mattresses.... ?

(BTW - +1 for the therm-a-rest matress - IMO - the only way to go)

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
The wife and I have an Air Mattress that our sleeping bag zips on to. With this setup, there is not any sliding off of the air mattress, and it has zippers on both sides. We bought it as an all in one deal.

We also carry a few blankets to lay down under the mattress, and to put over the bag if it gets too cold.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
So here's what I've come up with so far:

Cabela's camp beds/sleeping pads: I'm thinking of the large 4' pad OR two of the waffle pads stuck next to each other with velcro strips I glue to it to hold them together:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...01642&parentType=index&indexId=cat601642&rid=

OR

a queen/full sized (I prefer full) air mattress from Coleman or other reputable company
Here are some options from Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...at20075-cat601644&parentType=subcategory&rid=

What do you guys think? To give you an idea, it's going to go inside a tent like this:

3001cr-lg.jpg

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Too dog pile more, Therm-a-Rest. Mine was a life and back saver in Iraq and for Katrina and Rita. That puppy went with me every time I was outside the wire. If I was stuck some were and had to sleep on a concrete floor I just inflated it and was good to go!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well I don't know about the States but Mrs Andz bought this one at Makro. It fits in a bag about the size of a regular airline pull-along. Very comfortable!