Fork spring/oil question.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I can say with certainty that the tighter coils on an '07 goes towards the top. They came out on top, then went back in on top.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/13665-hyperpro-springs-installed.html

Then maybe there is a difference between the 04-06 bikes? Now I am confused!! :confused: The Haynes manual doesn't mention a difference between models...

Anyone else know anything different? This has the potential to be a hot forum debate!!! Or maybe, it's just me and Mr Haynes that are wrong!!!

Northern Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
It's great you guys are talking about this issue. I have a 07-FZ6 been riding for about four years now. I love the bike but hate the front end. After reading the June 2011 Cycle World Magazine, I started looking into some changes. For those that don't know Cycle World bought a 2005-FZ6 and turned it into a streetfighter(Page 63). They did some body work, ergos, and drivetrain but what I was interested in was the suspension. Thus after reading the article and some research I decided find the local Race Tech dealer near Toronto and have them do some work, just because I really don't trust my mechanical expertise.

1) Cartridge Emulator Kit (Race Tech): suppose to give you the benefits of a deflection disk damper

2)Front Spring: Stock 0.77kg/mm race tech numbers for 200lb = 0.968kg/mm so I opted to put a 1.0kg/mm

3) Rear Shock Springs: Stock 12.5 kg/mm Race Tech numbers 200lb =13kg/mm, decided to stick with the stock spring.

since I had the girl in the shop decided to put on the new pair of boots, Metzeler roadtec Z8 interact, I have never ridden a Metzeler was on BT-21 which I found to be a great tire, but wanted a change.

So took the bike in today, getting it back friday and I wil let you know the outcome. If anyone has any comments on the Metzelers it would be great to hear. Also please comment on the suspension upgrades, I hope I get some good feedback because I am sick of the front end but LOVE MY FZ6. :canada::Sport:

Last edited:

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, my steering head bearings have now packed it in, so I thought I'd replace them and at the same time, change my fork oil (seeing as its 5 years old). I'm quite happy with the front end suspension for the kind of riding I do, plus I really don't know any better as to what better suspension really is, so I'm going to replace the "Yamaha 01" fork oil (dealer says its 0-2.5 wt) with Belray 5w fork oil.(I'm surprised its green in colour). Just thought I'd chime in.:0

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, my steering head bearings have now packed it in, so I thought I'd replace them and at the same time, change my fork oil (seeing as its 5 years old). I'm quite happy with the front end suspension for the kind of riding I do, plus I really don't know any better as to what better suspension really is, so I'm going to replace the "Yamaha 01" fork oil (dealer says its 0-2.5 wt) with Belray 5w fork oil.(I'm surprised its green in colour). Just thought I'd chime in.:0

Def I'd definitely recommend a higher viscosity fork oil. Obviously it's your call, and depends on your weight, if you load up a lot etc. But I weigh about 80kg and sometimes have some baggage so lets say around 90kg with bags plus gear.

I put in 15wt oil and it's a very nice improvement! maybe try 10wt? I don't think you'll see a big difference if you put 5wt in. I could be wrong and of course it's all subjective! Let us know how you go with it, whatever you decide.

And the green colour is a lot nicer than the horrible grey gunk that will come out! :eek:

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
It's great you guys are talking about this issue. I have a 07-FZ6 been riding for about four years now. I love the bike but hate the front end. After reading the June 2011 Cycle World Magazine, I started looking into some changes. For those that don't know Cycle World bought a 2005-FZ6 and turned it into a streetfighter(Page 63). They did some body work, ergos, and drivetrain but what I was interested in was the suspension. Thus after reading the article and some research I decided find the local Race Tech dealer near Toronto and have them do some work, just because I really don't trust my mechanical expertise.

1) Cartridge Emulator Kit (Race Tech): suppose to give you the benefits of a deflection disk damper

2)Front Spring: Stock 0.77kg/mm race tech numbers for 200lb = 0.968kg/mm so I opted to put a 1.0kg/mm

3) Rear Shock Springs: Stock 12.5 kg/mm Race Tech numbers 200lb =13kg/mm, decided to stick with the stock spring.

since I had the girl in the shop decided to put on the new pair of boots, Metzeler roadtec Z8 interact, I have never ridden a Metzeler was on BT-21 which I found to be a great tire, but wanted a change.

So took the bike in today, getting it back friday and I wil let you know the outcome. If anyone has any comments on the Metzelers it would be great to hear. Also please comment on the suspension upgrades, I hope I get some good feedback because I am sick of the front end but LOVE MY FZ6. :canada::Sport:

I think you'll notice a fairly significant difference with all these mods. I did just with a higher oil viscosity!

Fz6Daveg

Reaction score
Visit site

Hi, Any feedback yet? because I too love my ride but the front end is too soft. I really want to upgrade my suspension and i wouldn't even think about doing it myself.
I would love to hear how it performs now,
Thanks
Dave

Northern Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Well picked up the bike last friday and I have had a chance to scrub the new Z8 and really put the new front fork through its paces. I had Mission Cycle in Angus, Ontario (barrie) to install new springs 1.00, and emulators in the forks. The price for just the suspension was $500 well worth it. After the emulators and springs were in took it easy for awhile, especially scrubbing in the new Z8. Once up to normal riding on sunday and a beauty day, I can say the front end know feels WAY MORE SECURE, the front tire seems to be much more stable under braking, with not as much dive or weight transfer. Both dampening and rebound make front end feel stuck to the road. Very Very happy with my Race Tech springs and emulators.

Z8= very nice. The major difference I feel with the Z8 over the BT-21 is push steering. The Z8 almost want to dive into the apex. I found I needed less effort and a quicker turn in. This was fun because I was able to drive the bike deeper into the turn for a better apex and lean angle.

This was the best suspension upgrade I could think of with minimal mechanical expertise. I found the price very reasonable and the difference it made on the road was huge. Emulators and Springs Race Tech BEAUTY!!