Fork Swap/Steering Stem Rataining Ring

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the middle of swapping the steering post from my FZ to a ZX6R lower triple clamp.
The ZX6R stem has a flange on the base which is slightly larger than the remaining stem diameter which, when pressed into the lower triple, does not allow it to be pulled all the way through. Removing was as simple as pressing it out using a 2 ton hydraulic press.

Now, The FZ6 on the other-hand, has a retaining ring on the bottom (Shown in photo below):

Now, if I didn't know any better; I would say that Yamaha, in an effort to save money, used the ring in place of a flange to save on machining time and material. With that said, the stem should press out similar to that of the ZX6R since it would have to be pressed in.

The strange part is that most people say that the lower triple clamp needs to have material removed before the stem can press-out. I trust that most that have done a fork swap are not lying, but, at the same time, Yamaha had to get that retaining clip in there somehow.

So my long winded explanation is really just to find out if anyone has just pressed the stem out without using a Dremel or other tool to remove material from the base of the triple clamp.

See my make-shift sketch below:

Anyone!!!:)

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Yes, I tried to press it out without removing the ring and busted the bolts on the hydraulic press :( removed the ring, replaced the bolts and tried again succesfully.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update: How to Remove Steering Tube

After taking some more measurements and analyzing pictures of others that had removed the steering stem; I have finally learned how to remove the steering tube without removing material from the lower triple.

How To:

*Note: It is not necessary to remove the lower bearing race to complete the following steps. Please see this thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/14722-how-replace-your-head-bearings.html for reference of the lower bearing race.

Step 1: Press steering tube out of lower triple

Yes, it is that simple. The steering tube retaining ring sits in a counterbore in the lower triple clamp. Removal is as simple as pressing the stem down through the triple clamp.

Triple Clamp Top view:

Triple Clamp Major Bore Close-Up:

Triple Clamp Counter-Bore Close-Up:

Triple Clamp Cross Section View:

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Update: How to Remove Steering Tube

Awesome, thanks for confirming this. I had suspected this would be the case, but had not been able to test the theory.