Frame sliders really a good idea on a FZ6?

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site
Updated>>> Installed frame sliders today.

usate2ap.jpg

epebesuz.jpg

2aja6ezy.jpg

a7e4a3yh.jpg

upema6aj.jpg

I've installed frame sliders on lots of my bikes, but I'm a little hesitant to do so on the FZ6 because of the stressed frame member. I'm worried that in a tip-over or low side it would crack or snap that part of the frame.

I hear you should not get the extended ones and get high shear strength bolts.

IMG_20140204_105011.jpg

Last edited:

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
A bike going down with frame sliders and the frame breaking just behind the sliders has been known to happen. However, think about what parts of your beautiful bike will hit the ground. Your frame is going to hit the ground for sure without sliders. I have sho-gun sliders and I had a low side several years ago at about 20mph ( soccer mom, mini van, gas station) these frame sliders took the brunt of the damage that would have totaled my bike if it ad slid on the frame.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had frame sliders on my FZ since I got it four years ago. They've saved me from substantial damage on three occasions, all at zero to a couple of mph mishaps, two of the three were of my own stupidity. The only damage to my bike on all three incidents was a scuffing to the bar ends,the frame sliders and a little to the mirrors. Thankfully I can't say what the damage would have been avoided at a higher speed crash but I'm assuming that in that case who knows what subsequent damage may have made having frame sliders a moot point.
Just my .02 worth...:don'tknow:

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
After getting sideswiped by a guy running a stop sign last year I am a HUGE supporter of frame sliders. Particularly these, Yamaha FZ6 Frame Sliders. The sliders saved my tank and most of my bike. Had it not been for them I am certain the bike would have been totaled.

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
The way i see it, frame sliders can do two things:

- Your crash is at a low enough speed that the frame sliders do their job, ie just dropping it in your garage, or a clean low side.

- Your crash is a high speed mess, and in that situation the odds of your bike being totaled are probably not that influenced by frame sliders.

Also, keep in mind that on the streets, mos big crashes will end up with your bike colliding with something anyway, be it a railing, a lamp post or a car, and sliders are not going to help much for that!

I went all out and also added swingarm and fork axle sliders:

DSC_3906_zps9d59fb96.jpg

RodneyBR

Reaction score
Visit site

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
You actually don't want high shear strength bolts, that's how you end up with a broken frame or a ripped thread in your engine block.

You want a bolt that will bend rather than rip everything apart!

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I use frame sliders to protect my bike from a stupid mistake in the garage or parking lot (0mph). I havnt done that yet tho.

If my bike goes down at a higher speed, i don't really care if the frame breaks because the damage is going to be more than my deductible whether the frame breaks or not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
my bike blew over in the wind while parked , yes u read that right blew over ! and the frame sliders and top box pretty much got scraped and nothing else but this was a low impact fall in a crash or high speed off i dunno

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You actually don't want high shear strength bolts, that's how you end up with a broken frame or a ripped thread in your engine block.

I sort of agree on this but never put too much though into it before. After 95,000 miles, I can assure you my frame sliders has been put to use on both sides, multiple times. They are Uncaged Frame Sliders, unfortunately, they don't make them anymore, the company must have gone out of business but they are damn good. The end caps is made out of hard plastic that is screwed on so use to be able to replace it, there is just no more spares to purchase. I have noticed that my bolts going into the slider has bent slightly upwards from the stress, but you really have to be looking for it to see the difference.

It really has saved my bike, preventing further damage.

scidork

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up what Boarder4life81 has. I did a couple weeks of searching to see what options there were and if I recall correctly, I settled on the OES ones based off their simplicity of installation, what seemed to be pretty widespread positive results, and being able to use them as highway bars when I feel like a short stint in a different position for my feet. I seem to recall checking which version (long or short) was the right length to actually cover everything if the bike were to go down though that might have been in comparing to another vendor who had sliders that were nice to look at but so low profile they wouldn't actually prevent parts of the motor from dragging in a garage fall over situation (which sadly happened two days before my sliders arrived).

Aesthetically, mine look about the same as your link and the material is the same so for half the price, will probably be fine.

I think it's one of the bolts that does more to support the motor within the frame anyway so any impact on the slider would be in a direction contrary to the standard load condition rather than adding to it and increasing the likelihood of breaking the frame (MechE's feel free to correct this as my background is with fluids. Sheer stress but no torque)

Last edited:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The way i see it, frame sliders can do two things: - Your crash is at a low enough speed that the frame sliders do their job, ie just dropping it in your garage, or a clean low side. - Your crash is a high speed mess, and in that situation the odds of your bike being totaled are probably not that influenced by frame sliders. Also, keep in mind that on the streets, mos big crashes will end up with your bike colliding with something anyway, be it a railing, a lamp post or a car, and sliders are not going to help much for that! I went all out and also added swingarm and fork axle sliders:

100% agreed

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
my bike blew over in the wind while parked , yes u read that right blew over ! and the frame sliders and top box pretty much got scraped and nothing else but this was a low impact fall in a crash or high speed off i dunno

had to check your profile - you're in Ireland. That explains it :D

also I run Motovation fork, frame and rear sliders and have used them ones in a lowside on one occassion - very happy I had them on, the frame one not only saved my bike except for the bar end, they also saved my slow moving foot from getting caught under the bikes weight!
Also as stated above the bolt in my case bent nicely and a lot of the impact seems to have been dissipated by that and by abrasion to the slider itself - highly recommended from here!

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i use these puig ones. i like the fact that they have a wide area and more room to dissipate the crash energy. they are attached by a bracket to the frame then a plastic or whatever cylinder is installed to the bracket and finally you install the actual frame slider.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrmsLdrtYDU]Puig Pro Frame Sliders Review from SportbikeTrackGear.com - YouTube[/ame]

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thoughts:
In the ideal world, If the Creators of said "Frame Sliders" would design them to Shear off the tip or a "small section", in sequence, this would be great time to have the bolt NOT bend and destroy the frame...

Point being, if that bolt bends on this cast frame, 90% of the time the owner going to be looking at a frame repair/replacement.

With a high tensile strength bolt; If the bike hits something so solid as to remove the slider and the structure securing it - BAD NEWS! But, as stated, something was bound to be destroyed anyway.

IMO - the first inch of a longer slider should be designed to "snap off" before breaking the bolt or tearing the frame apart. A few holes or grove around the perimeter could suffice!

Just thinking out-loud!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Thoughts:
In the ideal world, If the Creators of said "Frame Sliders" would design them to Shear off the tip or a "small section", in sequence, this would be great time to have the bolt NOT bend and destroy the frame...

Point being, if that bolt bends on this cast frame, 90% of the time the owner going to be looking at a frame repair/replacement.

With a high tensile strength bolt; If the bike hits something so solid as to remove the slider and the structure securing it - BAD NEWS! But, as stated, something was bound to be destroyed anyway.

IMO - the first inch of a longer slider should be designed to "snap off" before breaking the bolt or tearing the frame apart. A few holes or grove around the perimeter could suffice!

Just thinking out-loud!

To be honest i am not entirely sure, if the bolt brakes off you lose your slider, and all you are left with is a motorcycle with no slider, and a compromised frame structure since the engine is a stressed part of the chassis.

If the bolt doesn't bend or snap you take the risk if it ripping the threads off the engine block.

I mentioned the bolt bending rather than snapping because this is what the guys at R&G (the frame sliders i use) do, and what they feel is the best solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iYTP_PUUYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72enb26UoBQ#t=17