front axle nut issue

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
So, i made a front axle nut tool with a spark plug wrench and a 3/8 extension...no problem. But I CANNOT get this thing to budge. With anything. Breaker bar, pipe extension for leverage, air wrench...nothing will move this sucker. Ideas?? The nut does loosen counter-clockwise right? Dealership is my next step I guess. 2009 model, ridden easy but very dusty environment.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, i made a front axle nut tool with a spark plug wrench and a 3/8 extension...no problem. But I CANNOT get this thing to budge. With anything. Breaker bar, pipe extension for leverage, air wrench...nothing will move this sucker. Ideas?? The nut does loosen counter-clockwise right? Dealership is my next step I guess. 2009 model, ridden easy but very dusty environment.

You need to loosen pinch bolts first

Was just about what i was going to say....

Lol, i have done this too...most confusing till you realise your folly...

Blonde moment...hopefully.

:thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
are you using a breaker bar, and a spindle key?

axle unscrews in the standard direction (anticlockwise)

have you tried using some gentle persausion?

150104_lg.jpg

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
are you using a breaker bar, and a spindle key?

axle unscrews in the standard direction (anticlockwise)

have you tried using some gentle persausion?

150104_lg.jpg

^+1

The impact of a rubber mallet will get the first quarter turn that you need to break-free any corrosion. I just went through this same scenario with a friend of mine who also has the FZ. He too tried a breaker-bar, pipe, and standing on the wrench with no go. One simple "whack" with the mallet got things moving!

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You might want to try more leverage. For really stubborn bolts, I use my dumbell weight bar which is very sturdy and about 30 inches. I place the wrench I'm using in one end and then use the leverage from the bar to move the bolt.

Or you can see if any weight lifting friends can lend their muscle.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Try a penetrating lube like kroil, pb blaster, or deepcreep on the threads let it sit for a few mins and try it again...fyi kroil is magic

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With a large brass drift and hammer, you can shock the threads with a blow. Use brass as its softer than the axle.
Does the pinched tube move on the axle? You should be able to pull it out 1mm or 2 easily. If not, then then its likely stuck in both sides (threads and pinch). Pull outward on the right side and smack the axle. It should shock the pinched side free or "pry the pinch apart" in a kind and gentle way so as not to mar the fork. Beyond that, penetrating oil and brute strength!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the above doesn't work, an air gun should do it with an air compressor but if none is available, :

Use your 3/4" tool and a box wrench(not offset). (you've already gotten spray penetrating oil on everything).

Get a piece of pipe (at least 4' long that'll fit over the wrench).

Put it on the centerstand, have a buddy sit on the bike, then position the wrench at a 9-10:00 position and literally use your weight and pounce on the end using the leverage of the pipe, it'll break free...

IMHO, when re-assembling, put a very light coat of grease (once the axle is cleaned, rust removed, etc) on the axle before putting back together. A tad of grease or anti seize (if used in wet/salty conditions) to the threads would prevent future problems. Torqing the axle back with grease on the threads should be a little lighter

Please post your results and good luck..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
. . . .

Get a piece of pipe (at least 4' long that'll fit over the wrench).

Put it on the centerstand, have a buddy sit on the bike, then position the wrench at a 9-10:00 position and literally use your weight and pounce on the end using the leverage of the pipe, it'll break free...

IMHO, when re-assembling, put a very light coat of grease (once the axle is cleaned, rust removed, etc) on the axle before putting back together. A tad of grease or anti seize (if used in wet/salty conditions) to the threads would prevent future problems. Torqing the axle back with grease on the threads should be a little lighter

^^ A big breaker bar WILL WIN that battle.

+1 Grease to the threads is VERY critical if you live near the ocean salt water, or salted winter roads. I don't live in that environment, but I grease all that stuff just the same. Especially where dissimilar materials meet like fork tubes aluminum to plated steel axle, and/or bolts.