Front End Rattle / Vibration /Buzzing Sound

srghyc

Reaction score
Visit site
Recently I've been getting a loud buzzing vibration sound from somewhere near the front of the bike. It occurs at about 4K rpms. I have the VS02 naked headlight kit installed. Everything is double checked to be tightened down and decent cable routing behind it. My horn is tightly secured on the bracket below. The only think that feels loose is the plastic radiator cover. Has anyone had issues of loud buzzing vibration from the plastic radiator piece. Mine never felt snug to begin with. I can't figure out where the buzzing is coming from! Help!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a common complaint with this bike, most of the times it comes either from the radiator guard or the clutch lever.

My bike had a buzzy clutch lever, it made this almost siren like noise around 7000rpm and between 10000 and 11000 rpm, only way to stop it was to keep my index finger on the lever. It was driving me insane so i switched to aftermarket levers which resolved the issue.

I would recommend you first make sure it doesn't come from the lever, or the radiator cover.

srghyc

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a common complaint with this bike, most of the times it comes either from the radiator guard or the clutch lever.

My bike had a buzzy clutch lever, it made this almost siren like noise around 7000rpm and between 10000 and 11000 rpm, only way to stop it was to keep my index finger on the lever. It was driving me insane so i switched to aftermarket levers which resolved the issue.

I would recommend you first make sure it doesn't come from the lever, or the radiator cover.

Thanks for the tips. Right now I do have aftermarket adjustable levers installed. I think I'll try shimming the radiator cover to hold it in place away from the radiator and go for a test ride. (I'll just wedge something in there.)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Right now I do have aftermarket adjustable levers installed. I think I'll try shimming the radiator cover to hold it in place away from the radiator and go for a test ride. (I'll just wedge something in there.)

I have had to shim my main, plastic radiator cover, same thing.

You can just pull it off for testing purposes and see if the noise goes away.

I don't remember if it was at 4k or ? You may be able to duplicate it just revving the engine to 4k (stationary) while listening and feeling about the front end.

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Mine is doing the same thing it started like a week ago. Today I took the radiator guard off and went for a ride... not it. I also check the levers and remove my key from the key ring, still buzzing starting at 4k rpm gets quitter around 8k.

I'll find it even if it kills me.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is doing the same thing it started like a week ago. Today I took the radiator guard off and went for a ride... not it. I also check the levers and remove my key from the key ring, still buzzing starting at 4k rpm gets quitter around 8k.

I'll find it even if it kills me.

Can you duplicate it while stationary?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, have to be moving. My next step is to give the drive chain a little tightening.

Don't know if its naked or not but sometimes, I've had some luck just going around the area in question, make a fist and use the back part of my hand (or your palm) tapping/banging say around the fairing, handlebars, forks, etc trying to duplicate the noise/rattle...

srghyc

Reaction score
Visit site
Mystery solved! Even though I had everything tightened down properly it was the VS02 headlight kit that was making all the racket. The way the pieces fit together there is a hairs width or less gap and when the bike is running at 4K + rpm that's enough to get the plastic pieces to start "chattering" up against one another. Check out the temporary fix with cardboard shims in the attached picture. Now, I need to come up with a clean permanent fix...:D

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Don't know if its naked or not but sometimes, I've had some luck just going around the area in question, make a fist and use the back part of my hand (or your palm) tapping/banging say around the fairing, handlebars, forks, etc trying to duplicate the noise/rattle...

Just tried banging on stuff and it seem I have something loose in the faring area. I'll take it to work with me tomorrow and go through it on break. I'd do it now but got some thunder storms going through.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just tried banging on stuff and it seem I have something loose in the faring area. I'll take it to work with me tomorrow and go through it on break. I'd do it now but got some thunder storms going through.

Excellent!

BTW, I had, sometime ago a rattle in the fairing. It was WAY UP FRONT, right at the pointy part. A phillips head screw, that went into the plastic fairing was loose maybe 1/4 turn. It was a bitch to get to BTW..

Good luck, your a whole lo closer to finding it..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mystery solved! Even though I had everything tightened down properly it was the VS02 headlight kit that was making all the racket. The way the pieces fit together there is a hairs width or less gap and when the bike is running at 4K + rpm that's enough to get the plastic pieces to start "chattering" up against one another. Check out the temporary fix with cardboard shims in the attached picture. Now, I need to come up with a clean permanent fix...:D

If you pull the headlight from the black plastic, (maybe masking tape as a ref point for whats showing). Once apart, lay a nice bead of marine grade silcone on either part where the issue is. Won't take much..

Let it set up BEFORE reassembling.

Once hardened up, overnight, it'll act like a cushion. The tape was so you don't have excess silicone sticking out. I'd probably apply the silicone to the black part but without seeing it, you'd know which side is better. Just make sure its nice and clean before applying.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a thought but more often than not these buzzing parts represent the symptom rather than the cause. Each time one of those items came into play it was resolved by correcting something else.

#1, Spark plug caps loose on plug wires: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tion-cure-bad-vibrations-spark-plug-caps.html
#2, chain & sprocket alignment: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/40463-how-string-align-your-rear-wheel.html
#3, engine oil even though its within time/distance interval suggested by manufacture

Mind you I make a single change and touch nothing else when looking for issues as I want to know "what action" correct the problem...