Front tire change

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
About to change my front tire tonight, and a buddy told me I need a special tool for the axle removal.

Figured it would come in the tool kit but wanted to make sure, and any suggestions on what to look for while it's off or what to clean, etc.

Figured clean the rim rotor sidewalls of tire and check pads?

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll need a 19mm hex to get the axle off, there's no tool in the kit. I read a few threads when I changed my tire the first time and there were all sorts of homemade solutions to the problem, but I just bought a proper hex bit so I could torque it back down correctly with a torque wrench. It was only a couple of bucks online.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
3/4" hex stock fits it perfect too, I've also herd of people using a sparkplug socket turned around. You can still tq it down with any of these.

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
3/4" hex stock fits it perfect too, I've also herd of people using a sparkplug socket turned around. You can still tq it down with any of these.

I was going to go the spark plug wrench route initially, but of the 4 or 5 I could get my hands on, none of them fit (too large).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Taylor,
1/2 inch thread stock coupler is what you can use. It's cheap at Home Depot or Lowes etc.

It a long nut that's used to keep 2 pieces of threaded stock together. The outside of it is 3/4 inch or 19 mm which works great!
Here's a picture with a piece of it with threaded rod inserted. All you need is the nut..:)

C440.jpg

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice I tried my spark plug socket and it worked but bike bandit shipped me the wrong size tire off course I only check after I remove the wheel and tire FML srsly

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Thread coupler would be best. I went to Lowes and bought a 3/4" bolt and two nuts. use a pipe wrench on the bolt to remove it and the two nuts jammed together are good enough to torque it down.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i got it off fine now i have a rim and a rear wheel

tire i ordered was right special person in the warehouse sent me an R18 GOTTA LOVE IT,guess i should of read the label instead of being so excited about getting new rubber on :banghead: i am kind of furious i call bike bandit and the guy says well now its back ordered well when i ordered it was it? He tell me no it wasn't so because of their mistake i am with out transportation for a week or two, that it lovely its OK he says i am Emailing you a return label and I have to take the tire to ups. really good about returning the product but really not happy with their slip up i don't think i will order from them again they really put me in a tight spot.

Terrible, I order a tire and it comes disassemble and clean everything take the wheel to a store to put the new tire on it and i see the label is the wrong rim size, what is this i check the side well yes sir it is wrong, nice well now that i cant ride my motorcycle and its my main mode of transportation, ill take the hit give customer service a call, nice guy tried to help me, no way jose back ordered, well now i am in trouble no tire, no bike and i have to run to the ups store on their mess up ( tire is back ordered AFTER i made my order) lack of QC and not making up for this mistake, Last time i will order from them and will let others know not to if they had made it right this could of been avoided - review of bikebandit.com 2-stars/5stars