• Visor up as much as possible.

Votes: 109 25.7%
  • Visor down all the way.

Votes: 315 74.3%

• Total voters

Lewy

Reaction score
Visit site
Gday i used to always ride with it up and have sunny's on but got sick of **** hitting me in the face so now i have scraped the Sunny's and got my self a tinted visor and always have it down don't wont a rock in the eye

Lewy

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was 16 I came off my FIZZY and took a 40ft tumble down an embankment.
Yes it hurt. My visor which was down at the time was so badly scratched I could not see out of it, this could have been my face so yep visor up for me. :D

AtxDanger

90% Ambition 10% drive!
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny to see this as a topic. Until last weekend i was a Visor up until 50+mph rider. I was going to meet up with some friends for a sunday backroad ride. I left my house with my Joe rocket visor cracked at the first setting due to the bright Texas sun, i wasn't even a block from my house when a hornet (Very large, aggressive bee) flew into the 1/2 inch opening between the sheild and the helmet. It proceeded to land on my left temple and sting the ever living S*!T out of me. Not sure if anyone reading this is familiar with Texas Bee's, especially the Hornet AND Yellow Jacket. But it leaves quite a burn and a nice swollen mark. Had it not been for my helmets tight fitting padding i am sure the swelling would have been alot larger. It didn't ruin my ride that day, but has since made me think about riding so care free. It could have been my eye! I also have had the misfortune of getting hit by a small rock thrown up from a caggers tire in neighborhoods. Even at the slower speeds it hurts like hell.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny to see this as a topic. Until last weekend i was a Visor up until 50+mph rider. I was going to meet up with some friends for a sunday backroad ride. I left my house with my Joe rocket visor cracked at the first setting due to the bright Texas sun, i wasn't even a block from my house when a hornet (Very large, aggressive bee) flew into the 1/2 inch opening between the sheild and the helmet. It proceeded to land on my left temple and sting the ever living S*!T out of me. Not sure if anyone reading this is familiar with Texas Bee's, especially the Hornet AND Yellow Jacket. But it leaves quite a burn and a nice swollen mark. Had it not been for my helmets tight fitting padding i am sure the swelling would have been alot larger. It didn't ruin my ride that day, but has since made me think about riding so care free. It could have been my eye! I also have had the misfortune of getting hit by a small rock thrown up from a caggers tire in neighborhoods. Even at the slower speeds it hurts like hell.
I have had a wasp fly into my helmet, fortunatley I was going about 45mph and when it hit my forehead it died. I bet that was one scary emergency stop, emergency helmet removal.

Last edited:

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
Another reason for me keeping my visor down when in town. Diesel fumes from buses really seem to sting my eyes cough cough. :ban:

Speaking of truck exhaust, what about those tall 4x4 pickups with the side exhaust that blows right in your face. Why can't they point those things at the ground if they're going to jack the trucks up so high?

H

HavBlue

Funny to see this as a topic. Until last weekend i was a Visor up until 50+mph rider. I was going to meet up with some friends for a sunday backroad ride. I left my house with my Joe rocket visor cracked at the first setting due to the bright Texas sun, i wasn't even a block from my house when a hornet (Very large, aggressive bee) flew into the 1/2 inch opening between the sheild and the helmet. It proceeded to land on my left temple and sting the ever living S*!T out of me. Not sure if anyone reading this is familiar with Texas Bee's, especially the Hornet AND Yellow Jacket. But it leaves quite a burn and a nice swollen mark. Had it not been for my helmets tight fitting padding i am sure the swelling would have been alot larger. It didn't ruin my ride that day, but has since made me think about riding so carefree. It could have been my eye! I also have had the misfortune of getting hit by a small rock thrown up from a caggers tire in neighborhoods. Even at the slower speeds it hurts like hell.

The autotomous sting of the honey bee (Apis mellifera) will cost that bee its life and the stinging action is best suited for a vertebrate species like the mouse, bear and other nectar steeling creatures. What it gains is the injection of additional poison from the gland which continues to pump on its release. Wasps and hornets on the other hand use their sting to kill troublesome insect prey. They cannot afford to be wasteful, as they need to be able to sting repeatedly. We as humans therefore have more to fear in the sting of the bee than the hornet! However, the hornet sting contains 5% acetylcholine which stimulates pain sensors more than stings of other wasps and bees. So the sting of a hornet may appear to be a little bit more painful. One isn't so bad but multiple stings can be a real problem in a number of ways.

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I always have the visor all the way down. Sometimes I pop it up at traffic lights but that is about it.
There are nimerous nasty's to hit you in the eye of face. Bugs , stones or debris from the road. Only last week I was riding with a mate who had his visor up half an inch to let a breeze through when a wasp flew in & stung him on the eye brow.
Not a pretty sight. Riding behind him it looked like he decided to take up break dancing half way up the road.
It could have been a lot worse had he not kept the bike under control. We pulled over & I was trying to work out what the bloody hell was goin on when he told me a wasp had gotten him.
Half an hour later his left eye was completely closed over.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always have the visor all the way down. Sometimes I pop it up at traffic lights but that is about it.
There are nimerous nasty's to hit you in the eye of face. Bugs , stones or debris from the road. Only last week I was riding with a mate who had his visor up half an inch to let a breeze through when a wasp flew in & stung him on the eye brow.
Not a pretty sight. Riding behind him it looked like he decided to take up break dancing half way up the road.
It could have been a lot worse had he not kept the bike under control. We pulled over & I was trying to work out what the bloody hell was goin on when he told me a wasp had gotten him.
Half an hour later his left eye was completely closed over.
I have also just realised (dufus) that my visor has to many small scratches on it now + the fog shield has stopped working a long time ago. I need to replace it. I only realised when I wore my new AGV. It was crystal clear. So lesson learnt.

Nelly

PS I am terrified of being stung by any of those flying insects. A wasp sting has a certain kind of burning, eye watering sensation that is best left for nightmares lol.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I am a visor up as much as possible rider. My glasses are auto-tint, so they need the UV rays to become sunglasses. But, when I say "as mucha s possible", I have pretty specific conditions under which that is ok. If I am going less than 20 mph, the visor is up unless it is cold out (under 50 degrees). If I am behind any vehicle, the visor is down. If I am on a dirt road, the visor is down. If I am going faster than 30-40 mph, my eyes water so the visor is down. But, I love the feeling of wind on my face, just not willing to risk my life for it (no helmet law in NH).

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Down all the time. I have had the pleasure of pebbles etc.. hit the windshield and even at low speed that would have hurt pretty badly if hit my face.
Dani

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
When I had a clear visor, I wore sun glasses all the time and the visor only came down at highway speed.
I bought a dark smoke visor and I LOVE it, it is down all the time now and the sunglasses stay in the tank bag. At low speeds the visor is just cracked open and at higher speeds it is all the way down.
Was a little worried about the dark smoke at night, but it is fine as long as I keep it down tight - that lets the eyes adjust and stay adjusted with no trouble.

*edit* should also add that with my 60 miles round trip on the highway each day - there are lots of pebbles and such and I have had a few bounce off the visor

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a high-viz visor. It protects from the glare without cutting down on the light at night.

Down all of the time. Why have it if you're not going to use it? ;) I've had large bugs splat on it; I've had rocks hit it hard enough to make a loud *crack* sound. I'm glad all of that hits the visor and not my face.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am a visor up as much as possible rider. My glasses are auto-tint, so they need the UV rays to become sunglasses. But, when I say "as mucha s possible", I have pretty specific conditions under which that is ok. If I am going less than 20 mph, the visor is up unless it is cold out (under 50 degrees). If I am behind any vehicle, the visor is down. If I am on a dirt road, the visor is down. If I am going faster than 30-40 mph, my eyes water so the visor is down. But, I love the feeling of wind on my face, just not willing to risk my life for it (no helmet law in NH).
Thats a good point, I also wear reactive lenses in my glasses. I have now switched to polarised lenses so that I can have visor down.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Just as when I'm in my van and like to have my side window down, I like to move my full-face visor up...but only when I'm, say, going under 35 mph or so. Of course, if it's dusk, it goes down because I don't like bugs/insects crash landing into my eyes. Visor is always down when moving along on a freeway, highway, etc. An insect smashing into one's eyes or just face can do more than just really sting: it can do serious eye damage.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Stoplight: Open visor anywhere from 1/4 to full

Slow Speed: Visor cracked open anywhere up to 1/2 open with eyes still under cover

Highway Speed: Fully Closed

I also have the largest Cal Sci Wind Screen which comes up to about my chin/mouth when riding. This is good enough to throw the air just over the top of my helmet but I won't count on it as being full eye protection. So essentially, as long as I'm moving I make sure my eyes are protected.

I know what you're saying though Neil. Many, many people do not like being enclosed in the FF helmets. It's hard enough getting many people to put their heads in CAT scans and MRI's, let alone bring that super up close and personal enclosure known as the full face helmet around their head. I'm lucky in that I am not troubled by that particular issue.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Visor always down for me. The only exception is when my glasses fog up on a cold day.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Only time my visor is up is at a stop or in parking lots. When on a street and moving the visor is down or cracked a hair to let in some air. I've taken too many bugs, rocks, and other debris off the visor :eek: to risk having the visor up.

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Visor always down for me, with the exception of stop lights when it's cracked to let in some air in the summer, or to keep it from fogging in the winter. Maybe it's just the type of glasses that I wear, but I fine that I get a lot if wind circulation behind the lenses when I ride with the visor up at almost any decent speed. It makes my eyes water.