FZ1 bar install with pics

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I was asked to write a how to about installing fz1 bars. So here goes.

If you have new grips you can just cut your old ones off, if not you need to pry them off very carefully, I had new grips to put on mine.

To make the removal of the parts on the bar, I first removed the bars from the bar mounts.

To removed the clutch side control unit, by removing the 2 screws that are on the bottom of the unit. Then you can separate the unit on the seam, I just let it hang loose from the wires.

Then remove the clutch, and let it hang loose as well.

I removed the throttle side control unit like I did the clutch side, there are 3 screws that need to be removed from the bottom of the unit.

Then remove the brake handle, but be careful to not get air into your brake lines, if you do you'll have to bleed your brakes.

All you have to do now is put it back together in the reverse order, I removed the pin the is on the throttle side, the pin is located on the inside of the control unit on the bottom. I left the pin on the clutch side control unit as it fit in the hole that was already on the bottom of my new bars.

Also as you can see in the pictures, I have 2" bar adjustable bar risers that put the bar at about the same as 1" up and 1" back as some other members have. At full lock my bars do not hit the tank.

Here are before pics
2011-02-17083827.jpg
2011-02-17083811.jpg
2011-02-17083747.jpg

and with my fz1 bars
2011-02-17095052.jpg
2011-02-17094154.jpg
2011-02-17094140.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. Looks great. You just sold me on the FZ1 bar. For the price you just can't go wrong. Did you have to adjust the brake line at all?

Very easy to adjust the brake line, if necessary. Literally lightly loosen and re-tighten one nut. So don't let that stop you from switching.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
This is where I got my bar from.

Metric Parts Outlet USA, AA (866) 237-2561 It took about 2 weeks to get it, they had to order it from yamaha, and then they shipped it to me, witch took 3 days for me to get it from them after they received it.

Order Number:
Order Status: Processing

Shipping Agency: USPS
Shipping Method: Priority Mail

Items:
Qty. Part Item Special Product
Ord. Num. Price Order Name
---- ----- ----- ------ --------------
1 2D1-26111-01-00 $26.87 Yamaha - HANDLEBAR

Order Subtotal: $26.87
Order Tax: $0.00
Order Shipping Charges: $10.83
Order Total: $37.70
Payment Method: Credit Card

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great, I just ordered my fz1 bars today and have been debating getting the risers because I havent found the ones I like. I do like the ones you have, where did you get them at? I like that you can tilt them like that. Do they seem nice and strong? I think I got the same bar ends that you have too! Thats a great color also.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great, I just ordered my fz1 bars today and have been debating getting the risers because I havent found the ones I like. I do like the ones you have, where did you get them at? I like that you can tilt them like that. Do they seem nice and strong? I think I got the same bar ends that you have too! Thats a great color also.
I got mine from my local Yamaha dealer. Patented ATV Handlebar Risers here is the link to Rox speedfx.

LunchBox04V

That Subaru Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
The more I look at those bars, the more I like them. Might actually help my numb hand issue. I see your using aftermarket bar ends. To be honest, I have not taken my factory ones off, but do they mount up the same? For that matter, do the factory bar ends (FZ6) work with the FZ1 bar?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The more I look at those bars, the more I like them. Might actually help my numb hand issue. I see your using aftermarket bar ends. To be honest, I have not taken my factory ones off, but do they mount up the same? For that matter, do the factory bar ends (FZ6) work with the FZ1 bar?

Yes, HVMP bar ends mount the same way as factory ones (to both FZ6 and FZ1 bars).
Yes, FZ6 bar ends fit FZ1 bars. Both bars have the same threaded inserts to accept bar ends.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
The HVMP bar ends are much heavier than stock and they do help out a lot with the vibs from the bar. Erci set up a group buy a while ago and I am pleased that I got in on it. Thanks Eric!

LunchBox04V

That Subaru Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, new bar ends are going to be coming soon to my FZ6. I have a set of grip puppies waiting for the install as well. I think between the bar, new grips, and eventually new bar ends it will be a nice, smooth ride.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, new bar ends are going to be coming soon to my FZ6. I have a set of grip puppies waiting for the install as well. I think between the bar, new grips, and eventually new bar ends it will be a nice, smooth ride.

I thought about grip puppies, but haven't pulled the trigger on them yet. What bar ends are you getting?

LunchBox04V

That Subaru Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Just went and ordered the FZ1 bar.... They were a little shocked/confused. lol I guess there are several options from the dealer. In three days we will know. As to the bar ends I was looking at, I was thinking the ThrottleMeister heavies with cruise. I do enough riding on the freeway it would help, but I am going to wait and see if the FZ1 bar and grip puppies help first. If not, then I will switch bar ends.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
The fz1 bar will give you a more aggressive feel, and more control than stock. I'm still getting used to the different hand placement with the new bar. You'll love them!