FZ1 bar install with pics

keef

Reaction score
Visit site
Man....
I really need to quit browsing the mod section of the forum! I just ordered the FZ1 bars. This will be my last mod before the riding season.

Well maybe, still thinking about braided brake lines. :BLAA:

keef

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the FZ1 bar install write up and all the little tips.
My install went very smooth and rolled the bars forward a bit so I have about 5mm clearance with the tank.

I have put about 150 miles on my bike since and it handles the curves much better. I don't have to put as much effort into it, if that makes sense...
I know that 150 miles is not that far but I am not feeling and fatigue in my hands either.

NearOn

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently did this mod too, put my experience of it in another FZ1 Handlebar mod thread. Just reading this though, my FZ6 2004 handlebars dont have the same thread for bar ends as the FZ1 bars. My FZ6 bars are for bar ends with thick screws on them, where as the FZ1 bar ends I got with the FZ1 handlebars, are a thin screw. Maybe is different in the USA though.

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
I paid a little more than $30 but don't remember where I got it. It wasn't from a dealership. I'm pretty sure it was from a link I found on here. However, I have not taking the time to install in yet.... :spank:

Anyone install risers with this mod?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I paid a little more than $30 but don't remember where I got it. It wasn't from a dealership. I'm pretty sure it was from a link I found on here. However, I have not taking the time to install in yet.... :spank:

I've definitely seen FZ1 + riser combo on this board. The idea behind that would be to maintain same height as stock, if not higher while at the same time getting less of back sweep.
As it stands, the easier way to accomplish this would be to just get a FZ6R bar.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site

My install was with 2" adjustable risers!

Lowe

Reaction score
Visit site
I removed the pin the is on the throttle side, the pin is located on the inside of the control unit on the bottom.

Thanks for the write up! Quick question, when you cut the pin off, how did you fasten the module on to the bar without it being able to move?

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
It is held on by just the screws on the unit. It moves a little, but not that much. It hasn't bothered me so far. Others have done it and I haven't heard of a problem yet.

Lowe

Reaction score
Visit site
oic. Ya, I cut the nubs off and now it moves a little too much for my likings. I think I'm going to drill a small screw into the unit that lines up with the hole in the bar. I'll let you know how it goes!

The position is much better ...loving this bar so far.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Controls should not move even slightly with the little plastic knobs cut off. Mine has not moved once in 2+ years (had this setup with 2 different bars). Proper torque on control screws should keep everything in place perfectly.

Lowe

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the insight guys.

I cut the nub off with a razor, can't tell that a nub was there at all. I do notice when I tighten the screws all the way, a gap appears on the front (front meaning if you're looking at the bike from the front, if you look at the control you'll see that it's not flush). I'm afraid to tighten the front screws even more in fear that'll I'll strip the screws. I guess I'm doing something wrong, it moves way too much to overlook. After looking at things a 2nd time, I'll probably drill a small screw in the slot and drill a new hole in the bar. :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the insight guys.

I cut the nub off with a razor, can't tell that a nub was there at all. I do notice when I tighten the screws all the way, a gap appears on the front (front meaning if you're looking at the bike from the front, if you look at the control you'll see that it's not flush). I'm afraid to tighten the front screws even more in fear that'll I'll strip the screws. I guess I'm doing something wrong, it moves way too much to overlook. After looking at things a 2nd time, I'll probably drill a small screw in the slot and drill a new hole in the bar. :thumbup:

Something's off. I have no gap anywhere... no movement.

zjrr_42

Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard that the fz1 bars have a screw hole that isn't used. Is it neccessary to plug that up or is it not an issue? Don't want new bars rustin out if I do the mod

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup on the throttle side there is a hole on the FZ1 bars that you don't need. I didn't do anything with it since it's pretty much covered. I suppose you could try and fill it if you wanted to. :thumbup:

Also If you didn't want to cut off the plastic nub for the controls you could just drill another hole on the bar in the same location as on the stock FZ6 bars and it will also work fine.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard that the fz1 bars have a screw hole that isn't used. Is it neccessary to plug that up or is it not an issue? Don't want new bars rustin out if I do the mod

Yes, as stated the hole is there, basically level facing the rider.

For now, I just wrapped a piece if electrical tape around it and have the master cylinder even on one side of te tape and the housing on the other. Actually wrapped a piece and did te same thug on te other side for uniformity.

I have silicone and may try to fill it at some point, but for now, te chance of water actually getting in there is very slim.

Still trying to get used to te bars ad get the poison right. My right wrist aches like a bastage but I only have about 30 miles with the bars. Overall, I do like the position and the look with the straight bars.

Scorpio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk