FZ1 handlebar swap: Thoughts and a question

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally got around to installing the FZ1 bar I've had sitting around for ages (thanks Raja) as well as some heated grips for the colder months. Holy crap I should have swapped the bars way before. It is so much more comfortable, and the steering feels much more direct. Less fatigue in my right wrist from being torqued at a weird angle. The FZ1 bars also let me move my clutch perch and master cylinder in a bit, so I get more leverage on both, which is nice.

I do have one dilemma: The clamshells appear to actually contact the gas tank now when steering is all the way to the stops. Have other people with FZ1 bar swap seen this? Did you do anything to alter it?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Loosen, lift, and tighten the bars. Leave a 1/2" clearance or what ever you feel comfortable with.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Like Ohendo, I added 1" bar risers, carefully adjusted the bars to avoid contact with the tank. With the risers I was able to maintain a good "flat" overall angle to the bars, no issues

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One additional thought on these: Without risers, the FZ1 bars can crush your thumb against the tank and break your thumb in a crash or tankslapper. Ask me how I know.

I'll be trying to find some risers now, or maybe try the FZ6R bars.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One additional thought on these: Without risers, the FZ1 bars can crush your thumb against the tank and break your thumb in a crash or tankslapper. Ask me how I know.

I'll be trying to find some risers now, or maybe try the FZ6R bars.

You gonna share the whole story? You OK otherwise?

My worst bar experience was after loading a new fuel map and igniton mod I pulled out into busy traffic from a left turn onto a rural road, twisted the wrist and the nose shot up way to high (going over mode), I chopped the throttle abruptly dropping the nose hard whereby the bars broke free rotating down below the rank basically locking the steering straight in total drag bar mode.
I found the happy spot for the tune but ended up yanking the bars back into place and removing the powder coat from the bar mounts the next day. It was entertaining at the time. Thankfully didnt wreck!

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You gonna share the whole story? You OK otherwise?

My worst bar experience was after loading a new fuel map and igniton mod I pulled out into busy traffic from a left turn onto a rural road, twisted the wrist and the nose shot up way to high (going over mode), I chopped the throttle abruptly dropping the nose hard whereby the bars broke free rotating down below the rank basically locking the steering straight in total drag bar mode.
I found the happy spot for the tune but ended up yanking the bars back into place and removing the powder coat from the bar mounts the next day. It was entertaining at the time. Thankfully didnt wreck!

Grats on saving it! Had to be a pucker moment.

For me, I lost traction on the front wheel while braking hard. I must have had some weight on the bars as well, because the front went all wobblytime and I ended up on the ground. I'm okay. Broken thumb, bruised ribs and some lost skin and bruises. Bike is surprisingly okay except for the cowling ( toast). One dent and scrapes on the left of the tank, and a weird dent on the back right of the tank I can't puzzle out. Mirrors, bars, levers all unharmed.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Having limited steering was a bit alarming but other than that, all is well. I was stooked it came alive as it should!

Sorry to hear about an incident like that. Glad you're mostly OK and getting the bike fixed.

Last edited: