FZ8 Bar swap?

Sel

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sure the FZ6R and FZ8 bars are identical? Looking at my local dealer's parts catalog they are different. The FZ8 bar looks like it has a bolted bar end. Whereas the FZ6R bar has the normal screw-in bar ends.

FZ6R Handlebar - 20S-26111-01-00

FZ8 Handlebar - 39P-26111-00-00

jspansel, could you take a few pictures of how the bar ends are mounted? Preferably with a bar end out, but no biggy if you don't want to take it out.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sure the FZ6R and FZ8 bars are identical? Looking at my local dealer's parts catalog they are different. The FZ8 bar looks like it has a bolted bar end. Whereas the FZ6R bar has the normal screw-in bar ends.

Would ya look at that?! You're right! FZ8 bar DOES look like it uses standard bar end approach, so it's not a direct swap with FZ6 / FZ6R / FZ1.

So.. FZ6R is the bar you want if you're looking for same rise, but less back sweep!

jspansel

Reaction score
Visit site

jspansel, could you take a few pictures of how the bar ends are mounted? Preferably with a bar end out, but no biggy if you don't want to take it out.

Yes, the FZ8 bar end itself does not thread into the bar. The bar end is held on with the bolt as shown in your diagram. I can also confirm since I also owned a FZ6R that the bar end itself threads into the bar with no needed bolt. The bar end itself had the hex recess for a hex wrench..

FZ6R bar ends:

kgrhqvg8e9n3j8vnbpnvlwh.jpg

FZ8 bar ends/bar:

camerac3602012081713123.jpg

camerac3602012081713122.jpg

Sel

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the FZ8 bar end itself does not thread into the bar. The bar end is held on with the bolt as shown in your diagram. I can also confirm since I also owned a FZ6R that the bar end itself threads into the bar with no needed bolt. The bar end itself had the hex recess for a hex wrench..

Awesome, thanks! FZ6R handlebar it is for me then!

I got burned (not literally, fortunately) when I tried to go "cheap" ($24 shipping...) on an "OEM style" FZ1 handlebar from eBay. It didn't have drilled and tapped ends for the bar ends to go into. Then, when I tried to drill it out a little for a proper 16mm x 1.5mm tap with a heavy duty drill press, it caught on the drill bit and banged it up a bit. Sigh. Lesson learned: buy GENIUNE Yamaha or QUALITY aftermarket parts.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
I have FZ-1 handlebars, I don't think I'm properly explaining my point though.

What I'm saying is that FZ-1 bars "with risers" are just FZ-6 handlebars. So instead of using FZ-1 bars and a riser set up, you could just forgoe that and go with FZ-6 or FZ8 handelbars. Point is FZ8 handlebars don't net you anything. FZ1 are lower.

Fz6 bars angle inwards more giving an uncomfortable kink in your wrists. Fz1 (and now fz8) bars are flatter from one side to the other. Check my fz1 installation thread to see a pic of them side by side.