FZ8 Bar swap?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
First, No there is not already a discussion on this that i could find, but if you know of one, post it up.

Ok, now that thats outta the way, has anybody here thought about an FZ8 handlebar swap instead of the FZ1 bar swap? Today i was at my local stealership purchasing oil and a filter, when i saw a used FZ1 (more in shock that its still there). so i went to go sit on it to feel the bar position, again. While sitting and staring directly at a new FZ8, i thought "whadda those bars look like?" so i went to find out. Turns out they have the same wrist angle and width as the FZ1 bars except they sit about 1-1.5" (2.5-4cm) higher, so they're essentially FZ1 bars with risers.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Thanks great idea. Think I'll order them.

FZ8+fly+windscreen+behind.JPG

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't "FZ-1 bars with risers" just be normal FZ-6 bars? Looking at the picture, they don't look like they offer any change.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, it's nearly identical to the FZ6R bar. Few people here have swapped to that one.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i did the xjr bars conversion, wider and have more rise, the bike is lighter at the front tho, so you must take care the first few rides.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't "FZ-1 bars with risers" just be normal FZ-6 bars? Looking at the picture, they don't look like they offer any change.

The angle that the bars have are different. The fz1 bars are much more comfortable on your wrist. There's a pic floating around somewhere that shows it.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I have FZ-1 handlebars, I don't think I'm properly explaining my point though.

What I'm saying is that FZ-1 bars "with risers" are just FZ-6 handlebars. So instead of using FZ-1 bars and a riser set up, you could just forgoe that and go with FZ-6 or FZ8 handelbars. Point is FZ8 handlebars don't net you anything. FZ1 are lower.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

What I'm saying is that FZ-1 bars "with risers" are just FZ-6 handlebars. So instead of using FZ-1 bars and a riser set up, you could just forgoe that and go with FZ-6 or FZ8 handelbars. Point is FZ8 handlebars don't net you anything. FZ1 are lower.

I disagree. The height will be the same, but FZ8 or FZ6R handlebar will have much less rearward bend. This will stretch you out a bit, but most importantly will provide a more comfortable / natural wrist position.

Here (fz1 vs fz6)

28344d1275218941-joined-fz1-bar-club-compare.jpg

Last edited:

jspansel

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ8 Bars.

Couple measurements... Not sure how much those will help so here are some pictures at different angles so you can see how they sit.

From bar end to bar end straight across is 30 1/2". Edit, subtract maybe that half inch since I have a bar end mirror in there.

In the risers, the flat part before the bars start their bend up is about 7 1/4".

Pics:

100mediaimag0269.jpg

100mediaimag0268.jpg

100mediaimag0267.jpg

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I disagree. The height will be the same, but FZ8 or FZ6R handlebar will have much less rearward bend. This will stretch you out a bit, but most importantly will provide a more comfortable / natural wrist position.

Here (fz1 vs fz6)

28344d1275218941-joined-fz1-bar-club-compare.jpg

There we go, the angle don't look like much of a difference but it's huge on long rides!!!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site

not to start an argument here but if you would have read my original post you would see that i said this is a possibility for counting out risers. a couple of people were asking about FZ1 bars+risers so, this setup which seems the be equivalent of that, would me a simpler and possibly cheaper mod.

If I'm not mistaken, it's nearly identical to the FZ6R bar. Few people here have swapped to that one.

they are exactly the same as the FZ6R bar. i just thought that FZ8 would be less confusing than the other way. Maybe yamaha figured that might have been a problem and changed it for the 6R

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
they are exactly the same as the FZ6R bar

Thought so! And you're absolutely right.. FZ8 bar would be roughly the equivalent of FZ1 bar + risers (at a lower cost with cleaner look). I know some people on here have used the FZ1+riser combo, but I think they did this before FZ6R became available.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ8 Bars.

Couple measurements... Not sure how much those will help so here are some pictures at different angles so you can see how they sit.

From bar end to bar end straight across is 30 1/2". Edit, subtract maybe that half inch since I have a bar end mirror in there.

In the risers, the flat part before the bars start their bend up is about 7 1/4".

Pics:

100mediaimag0269.jpg

100mediaimag0268.jpg

100mediaimag0267.jpg

off topic but that looks like a air scoop on the last pic, is it functional?