Fz1

javahaxxor

Reaction score
Visit site
Sup guys,
It's been a long time since my last confession .. uh, post. That's because I no longer am a happy member of the FZ6 owners club. I wrecked mine in 2009, and I bought an FZ1, so after two years on the FZ1, I thought I'd give you my 50 cents on how these bikes compare.

I'd rather have the FZ6 back for driving around town. It's so much more fun. You can ride it like you stole it, the fun factor is high, it screams, but the speeds don't exceed the death-threat level. Riding the FZ1 around, revving it to the redline, gets you past 200 km/h in a few seconds. Twisting the throttle just a bit too brutal around 8k, and you're near to flipping it on a powerwheelie (ok, I have a 16T front sprocket, but any sane sports rider will do the -1T mod, on just about any bike)

I almost killed myself on a number of occasions because of the brutal acceleration. A wheelie, with a bit of revving, and you're at 110 km/h in 3-4 seconds. count getting the wheel down, hitting the break, and it's at least 10 meters before you start slowing down (it weighs a bit more too, you know).

If it's cold outside, and you're again a bit over 6k RPM, and nail it, it will spin, and if you have a bit of bad luck it will throw you off in a highsider.

The FZ1 is big, heavy, fast, and super fun - where you can really nail it, and unleash the beast. That's backroads with no traffic, mountain twisties, freeways, etc. If you can't revv it, it's just not as fun as the FZ6 is.

But then, I hated taking the FZ6 on the freeway, I wouldn't have driven from Scandinavia to the Swiss Alps in 2 days with it either.

It's just as two torque wrenches. They cover different needs, and their areas of use overlap a bit. You use the big one when you go to the big backwheel nut, not for tightening the fairing screws.

EDIT: forgot about the FZ6's quicker steering. You have to work hard in the twisties to make the FZ1 turn. It kindof refuzes to turn in first, but then it's very stable. The FZ6 is more like a true sports bike. Turns fast and easy, and it's neutral
I hope this helps. /A

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've only been riding my FZ1 for about a month now (over 1k miles though) and my findings are very similar to yours! FZ6 is more fun in general. I'm doing more hwy riding these days and that's where FZ1 shines for sure.
My gearing is stock and so far I've not gotten myself into trouble due to having all that power, but I'm quite conservative and I definitely respect this new beast!

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
I understand what you mean. That is also the reason why after my fz6 got wrecked I bought another 600cc. I actually don't like a lot of torque on low rpm's. If I need power, I just rev. I like to choose for it. So that means I can ride in the "rev range" dependent on my mood. :)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If all I did was pound the superslab (highways) at high speeds I would probably opt for a liter bike.

The FZ6 has been a joy for me on my backroad commute and I'm 35 minutes from some great mountain roads...If I totalled my FZ6 today, tomorrow I'd be searching for another FZ6. :thumbup:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing more hwy riding these days and that's where FZ1 shines for sure.

That smaller tank and higher fuel consumption would kill the FZ1 for me for sport touring reasons, anyway... But then again, I no longer care for the scenerey whipping by as if in the doppler effect... I now have appreciation for just the relaxing ride and nearly 500km fuel range from my V-strom...;)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
That smaller tank and higher fuel consumption would kill the FZ1 for me for sport touring reasons, anyway... But then again, I no longer care for the scenerey whipping by as if in the doppler effect... I now have appreciation for just the relaxing ride and nearly 500km fuel range from my V-strom...;)

I agree. I love being able to go 230 miles on a tank with the FZ6. How large is the V-strom tank?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Couldn't agree with you more. Definitely not enjoying the aspect of having to fill up every 100 - 120 miles.
But going 75mph with RPMs barely hitting 5k + minimal vibration + having loads of power to speed up without having to downshift has it's rewards too :)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Couldn't agree with you more. Definitely not enjoying the aspect of having to fill up every 100 - 120 miles.
But going 75mph with RPMs barely hitting 5k + minimal vibration + having loads of power to speed up without having to downshift has it's rewards too :)

100 miles is pretty terrible range. I've never seen less than 180 on the FZ6 before the low fuel starts blinking.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
100 miles is pretty terrible range. I've never seen less than 180 on the FZ6 before the low fuel starts blinking.

I know I can do more than 100. Tank is 4.75 gallons (reserve is just shy of 1 gallon). I am consistently getting 35mpg which means I can go ~130 before I get low fuel warning and go another 35 to full empty.
I've just been filling it at around 100 mile mark to not need to worry about running out (and my trips were 50 miles one way.. so it's just been working out that way).
No matter how you slice it though, you ain't gonna get FZ6 range out of FZ1.. UNLESS you carry a 1-gallon gas can (which I will likely do on long trips).

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I know I can do more than 100. Tank is 4.75 gallons (reserve is just shy of 1 gallon). I am consistently getting 35mpg which means I can go ~130 before I get low fuel warning and go another 35 to full empty.
I've just been filling it at around 100 mile mark to not need to worry about running out (and my trips were 50 miles one way.. so it's just been working out that way).
No matter how you slice it though, you ain't gonna get FZ6 range out of FZ1.. UNLESS you carry a 1-gallon gas can (which I will likely do on long trips).

I'm cheap when it comes to fuel consumption. Part of the reason I bought a bike was to be able to go more places and not have to worry about the cost of the fuel to get there.

My 2,500 lb 4 door (5 passenger) Honda Civic gets 39 mpg average and 42-45mpg highway. I would probably ride my bike less if it only got 35 mpg. I've been considering picking up a dropped Ninja 250R to fix up this winter and commute with next season. My last one got over 90 mpg on a day trip.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm cheap when it comes to fuel consumption. Part of the reason I bought a bike was to be able to go more places and not have to worry about the cost of the fuel to get there.

My 2,500 lb 4 door (5 passenger) Honda Civic gets 39 mpg average and 42-45mpg highway. I would probably ride my bike less if it only got 35 mpg. I've been considering picking up a dropped Ninja 250R to fix up this winter and commute with next season. My last one got over 90 mpg on a day trip.

How many years would it take to make up the cost of the 250 with the gas savings you would have lol?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
How many years would it take to make up the cost of the 250 with the gas savings you would have lol?

You should never ask this question to an engineer if you don't want an answer! lol.

*DEEP BREATH*

Assumptions:
1. Lets say I find a 2002 Ninja that has been dropped for $1,000, needs new plastics and a few parts $400....total $1,400

2. Lets assume that gas costs $3.50 US per gallon (savings would increase in parts of the world with higher fuel cost)

3. The FZ6 gets an average of 45 mpg

4. The Ninja 250R gets an average of 85 mpg

5. Lets say you put 10,000 miles on the Ninja annually commuting

FZ6 = 10,000mi/45mpg = 222gal x $3.5/gal = $778

Ninja = 10,000/85mpg = 118gal x $3.50/gal = $412

Savings is therefor $778 - $412 = $366/yr

Cost of bike $1,400 / $366 per year saved = 3.8 years.

which is why I haven't done it before, The FZ6 is much more fun and saves $623 every 10,000 miles over driving the average cage to work...that buys the tires, maintenance, insurance and then some...:thumbup:

Last edited:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
You should never ask this question to an engineer if you don't want an answer! lol.

*DEEP BREATH*

Assumptions:
1. Lets say I find a 2002 Ninja that has been dropped for $1,000, needs new plastics and a few parts $400....total $1,400

2. Lets assume that gas costs $3.50 US per gallon (savings would increase in parts of the world with higher fuel cost)

which is why I haven't done it before, The FZ6 is much more fun and saves $623 every 10,000 miles over driving the average cage to work...that buys the tires, maintenance, insurance and then some...:thumbup:

...oh, oh, oh... do the FZ1, do the FZ1... :BLAA:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

*DEEP BREATH*

Assumptions:

One *issue* though.. how do you quantify the *fun* factor you're giving up. .. and don't tell me you're going to have as much fun on the 250. Yes it's still very fun, but I don't care if you're really good at keeping it in the power band.. it won't exactly pull hard out of corners.

FZ1 is ridiculous when it comes to this.. very very fun, but really unnecessary. FZ6 was just perfect, imo. I wouldn't want less at this point.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site

*DEEP BREATH*

Assumptions:

Lol good answer! I would have just said "Hey it gives me an excuse to buy another bike!"

suter

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been considering picking up a dropped Ninja 250R to fix up this winter and commute with next season. My last one got over 90 mpg on a day trip.

I have both, FZ6 and Ninja 250R. I ride both on regular basis.

First of all, 250R is 2008 and up. You might have had the old one few years ago. I know it's the same engine, but you won't be able to pick the new one for $1k. Even a dropped one.

I ride with my wife every weekend, I on the FZ6 and she on the Ninja. We always fill up at the same time. The tank in Ninja is smaller but we get similar mileage out of the single tank (Ninja might have a little better range but just by little).

She needs to keep the small Ninja high in the revs to keep up with FZ6. I ride very moderately. I rarely pass 6k RPMs when riding with her.

There is no way this Ninja can get 90mpg. Maybe downhill in neutral with back wind. 70, maybe 75 tops. But it's not riding. It's beating you're self and pissing everyone else behind.

I really like the Ninja. It's small, light, nimble and fun. But it's far from FZ6 experience.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is no way this Ninja can get 90mpg. Maybe downhill in neutral with back wind. 70, maybe 75 tops. But it's not riding. It's beating you're self and pissing everyone else behind.

I really like the Ninja. It's small, light, nimble and fun. But it's far from FZ6 experience.

I used to get mid 60's out of my 2007 ex250. Pretty damn good mpg.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I have both, FZ6 and Ninja 250R. I ride both on regular basis.

First of all, 250R is 2008 and up. You might have had the old one few years ago. I know it's the same engine, but you won't be able to pick the new one for $1k. Even a dropped one.

I ride with my wife every weekend, I on the FZ6 and she on the Ninja. We always fill up at the same time. The tank in Ninja is smaller but we get similar mileage out of the single tank (Ninja might have a little better range but just by little).

She needs to keep the small Ninja high in the revs to keep up with FZ6. I ride very moderately. I rarely pass 6k RPMs when riding with her.

Mine was a 2003.

I got 90 mpg on several occasions, all were at low speeds in the mountains or at the lake (<55mph) and no stops. I didn't believe it myself but I was always topping off the fuel tank the same level and the numbers did not lie! Now if you are revving it above 8K, heavy on the throttle and trying to keep up with a 600, yea you will maybe get 60 mpg.