FZ6 Cluster and Starting issues

AA888

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have 04 FZ6N, it is a brilliant bike. However, few days ago it doesn't want to start. The instrument cluster went blank and the bike only cranks and doesn't want to start.

The problem begin when I tried to wire an aftermarket tachometer. I tried to get the wiring for the new tachometer ( I may plug it to the wrong cable). Based on the wiring diagram, I managed to find power, N light, indicator, highbeam, and ground. After that, the bike starts fine and I did warm it up for 10-15 mins.

Then, I need to use the bike so I installed the original tachometer as I haven't finished wiring the aftermarket tach. I plugged in using the original wiring, install it, and turn on the ignition. The moment I turn the ignition the tach just went blank with backlight and Neutral light are on but it doesn't do the normal start-up check. When I try to start the engine, it's only cranks and not starting at all.

I can't even get the original tach to go into diagnose mode. It stay blank at all time.

So far I have checked:
- Battery is good (12.7v with 10.8-11.2v when cranking)
- Plugs are sparking
- 2 main fuses are good
- All of the fuses on the side of bike are good
- Reset ECU by removing the battery for a night and install it again.
- Tried to push start it and won't start either

Anyone had this problem before or know what is going on with the bike? My final suspicion is the immobilizer system, but unsure how is the tach wiring affect it (I also use exact same key) and also I don't know how to bypass it to eliminate this suspicion.

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Was the original tachometer(instrument cluster meant to read the data line coming from the ECU? If you can't confirm the connections/compatibility from an aftermarket product you can damage components or modules on the bike. If there was even a small short on a wire path you can damage a module. You say you have starter and spark. It sounds like you have no fuel along with no readout. Recheck all fuses with an ohmmeter. There is a module on the bike that stops the fuel to the fuel pump and fuel injection but remember I don't have a schematic for a bike with an immobilizer so I have a disadvantage....

Last edited:

AA888

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=6038]fazil[/MENTION]
I watched those 2 videos. The first one is a bit hard as I have no mates own fz6. Second one is what I am doing at the moment, but so far wiring cables look fine.
[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]
Yes, the original tachometer read data from the ECU. What do you mean by modules? Is it the ECU itself?

I have checked the fuse (by eyes) and they are still connected. I will check it again tonight with multimeter then.

I will check the fuel connection tonight. However, I can smell fuel when I crank it and fuel pump fuse looks fine (again, by eyes)

Thanks guys for your reply. Much appreciated

AA888

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply guys. Much appreciated

[MENTION=6038]fazil[/MENTION]
1st video is unlikely to happen as I know no one with fz6 in here. 2nd video is what I am trying to find at the moment, but so far it looks okay.

I believe it carries data from the ECU as I could not find any cable for my rpm. The modules you are talking about, is that the ECU? or any other module you are talking about?

I can smell fuel when I crank it up, but I haven't check the connection between the fuel system. Based on my eyes, all of the fuses are okay, but I will check the resistor later to confirm.

If I damage the module, what do I need to do to fix it other than replace it?

Thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You say you have spark and you smell fuel. When you turn the key to on position, do you hear the fuel pump prime? At this point we really need confirmation you haven't popped a fuse. The module I've refered to is called a starter cut off relay assembly. It's part of the safety sensor logic circuit on the bike. Before we consider that module let's see about the fuses first.

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Last edited:

AA888

Reaction score
Visit site

Fuses are all fine. I checked it with the multimeter for resistance and continuity. One thing though, I have manual for FZ6SS Fazer (I think they are very similar), the wiring said it has fuse for fuel system but I cannot find it in the fuse box or anywhere. I am unsure whether it is hidden somewhere or it is an add-ons for that specific model.

That cut off relay, is that the main relay that is normally connected to ignition an battery?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a fuse specific to the fuel pump and fuel injection circuit. It is a 10 amp fuse but I don't know where exactly it's location is. It is likely in the fuse bay where you've checked the fuses.

Read this: https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/51907-starter-cut-off-relay.html#post571704

The relay you referenced on top of the battery is the actual starter relay and not the relay assembly I'm talking about. Again there are too many chances your immobilizer is trying to protect the bike. I don't have a schematic that shows an immobilizer and its relationship to interrupting operation of the motor.