FZ6 dual headlight low beam

opfpqgoon

Reaction score
Visit site
So I bought my 08 FZ6 a few days ago from a dealership and they knew the previous owner pretty well and explained all of the mods that they knew he did to it. One of the mods was not a dual headlight install. So for the first few days when I'd start the bike I would notice that there was only the left headlight on, which is normal.

Here comes my question. After a nice hour or so ride I parked in the driveway, got off the bike to admire her :) and noticed that both headlights were on. "well I guess i was riding with the high beams on." Only to find out that my high beams were not on. So I stopped the engine, waited a few minutes and started her back up only to see one headlight on. I started to play around with the light controls to see if I could recreate the situation and about 15-30 seconds after the engine started, at the same moment that I engaged the left turn signal, the right lowbeam head light came on. Has anyone else experienced this?? I am completely baffled.

I have not checked any wiring and I am out of town for a few days but when I get back the first thing I will do is check for some sort of aftermarket wiring.

Thanks for any and all help.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure Cliff (motogiro) will chime in here in a minute with some electrical genius to help ya out!

That definitely seems like an odd situation and sounds like something is wired wrong. As far as I know the headlight and the turn signals are two different circuits.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
are there any other electrical add ons that the previous owner instaled on the front end?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is kind of strange. :confused: On the right lamp you should have a black with yellow tracer wire on one side(right)of the plug and a black wire on the other(left). There should be no wire on the top center pin of the plug. On the left headlamp plug you should have a black with green tracer (right) and a black wire(left) on the plug. again, there should be no wire on the top center pin of the plug. Is this how it's set up? It could be wired on and the filament could be failing.

Last edited:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
What about a bad switch? The turn signal and dimmer switch are in the same body, maybe the problem is there causing a short to B+ in the high beam ckt.

opfpqgoon

Reaction score
Visit site
So i checked it out this weekend and the previous owner wired the right headlight to come on but it had a loose wire that allowed it to sometimes be on and sometimes be off. Thanks for the help.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So i checked it out this weekend and the previous owner wired the right headlight to come on but it had a loose wire that allowed it to sometimes be on and sometimes be off. Thanks for the help.

When you put your hi beam on does the low beam turn off in that lamp?

opfpqgoon

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh damn....I remember wondering the same thing, but now I can't remember if they do or not. I am leaning towards yes, they do turn off when the high beams come on. If they didn't turn off would there be potential for overheating/current draw problems?

opfpqgoon

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay so I finally got to see my baby again and her headlights are set up just fine. High beam cancels low beam on the right light. Thanks to all for the very helpful tips and info.