Votes: 21 13.6%
  • FZ1

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • FJR1300

Votes: 78 50.6%

• Total voters
S

Skeeter190

Another bike to consider: BMW K series bikes, especially from a few years back, which can be bought for fairly reasonable prices.

Besides my wife's 2007 FZ6, the other bike in the garage is a 1998 K1200RS that I picked up in Dec of last year for $7250, in great shape & with only 3k miles on it. It came with removable hard bags & a few other farkles, though we've since added considerably to the farkles.

My wife & I have swapped back & forth with the bikes & love them both. What's telling though is that my wife, a rider of a mere 6 months & 2k miles on the FZ6, is quite comfortable with the much heavier & more powerful K1200 RS. The weight of our K is 619 lbs dry, which is well more than the twin BMW RT series, slightly more than the 09 FJR or Kaw Concours, but a massive 110 lbs less than the 09 Honda ST1300. More importantly, the older K bikes with their 4 cyl on the left side keeps the CG relatively low compared to the ST1300 who's V-four puts the heads much higher on the bike.

Just today I stopped off at a dealer that had both an 08 FJR & 08 ST1300. Both were nice bikes, but too far towards a touring bike for what I'd want. So at the risk of showing my bike love, the 1998 K1200RS ~ 2004 K1200GT rate up there with me for their sport tour mix. The newest K-series bikes are quite impressive too, but the K1200S went more towards a sport bike & the newest K1200GTs went more towards a touring mount.

You can certainly "tour up" an FZ1 or Bandit, both great bikes BTW, but for the money, a used RS or GT could be an excellent value. New, the latest K bikes are awesome machines, but at $22k or so for a well optioned GT, that's just a ton of cash to spend these days.

Congrats Masta! The FJRs are great bikes from what I've read. Very loyal followings for them, BMW K-bikes & FZ's too.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Skeeter190

HD Roadking...Really an entirely different animal, as is any cruiser tourer.

For an FZ6 rider looking for the next step up, it's hard to beat an engineered sport touring machine.

What's better about them than the Roadking? Handling, acceleration, braking, comfort, & reliability.

Compared to the sport touring options, the cruisers are "better" for image only.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
before I got my FZ6 I thought I wanted an FJR. When I sat on it it was HUGE. I don't know if I can ever grow into that thing.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be interested to read your review of the FJR. I sat on a fully-loaded ABS auto-geared FJR1300 at the dealership, it really blew me away. It even has an electric-tilt windscreen and built-in handwarmers. Too much gadgetry for my taste, but a more basic FJR would be cool. Reminds me of the Triumph sport-touring bikes. Yamaha quality is way, way up there though so always a good choice. Enjoy.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked the FZ1 because it is a sport bike. All three are great bikes but for me the FJR is too much the pig; big, wide and heavy. The FZ1 has a great motor, excellent chassis and a very good riding position. You can track it, or you can throw on saddle bags and tour. The FJR is a great commuter and tourer but that is about it. In my eyes the FZ1 is a great all-arounder. :thumbup:

Or...pimp time...how about a '09 Buell 1125CR with the super bike bar??? I know it's a long shot but what a killer hooligan bike that you could track and tour on. Now the reliability part...don't ask...

Last edited:

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
You are right about the FZ1. I totally imagine myself owning one one day. I've ridden a 2008 model several times, and it's a beast. But it doesn't offer the comfort of a real tourer, and that's what I was looking for. The engine of the FJR is amazing too though :)

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
I really liked the FJR but for commuting it is just too big. As a highway bike it would be great. The FZ1 is a nice bike and would be good to set up for touring but would be squishy for two-up riding. I rode a suzuki bandit 1250 this year that I really liked. It's a little bigger then the FZ's but not as big as the FJR. Think that will be my next bike. I also rode the new Honda F6B this year and it is a huge monster of a bike but when you get it on the highway it feels rather nimble.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I really liked the FJR but for commuting it is just too big. As a highway bike it would be great. The FZ1 is a nice bike and would be good to set up for touring but would be squishy for two-up riding. I rode a suzuki bandit 1250 this year that I really liked. It's a little bigger then the FZ's but not as big as the FJR. Think that will be my next bike. I also rode the new Honda F6B this year and it is a huge monster of a bike but when you get it on the highway it feels rather nimble.

If your just commuting, should you remove the side hard bags, the bike is considerably MORE nimble. I only put the side bags on my old 2004 for long road trips. Without the bags, its a different bike and quite nimble.

It'll power wheelie at 4K RPM's (the 04 and now the '13) in first and second gears, (no clutching it up either) and will easily do 145 MPG two up (don't ask) and still get 42-45 MPG.

For the newly changed Gen III, with true cruise control, many upgrades including the dash, dual-sport/touring mode which allows for faster acceleration or better cruising (mileage, not as aggressive throttle response)its, IMHO, a no brainer what I would own..

It is a bit harder on tires(especially the rear), than the FZ, having much more torque down low (145+ HP at about 8,000 RPM) and the heavier weight.

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new bike - it's a good one.

Little lat but I'll throw my experience out there. Had an FZ6 which I commuted on, took trips on from 150 to 600 miles per day and road the twisties for fun. Did everything with it. Came time for a new bike and it was a tough decision - love the FZ6 power, wasn't looking for much more but wanted better suspension and brakes (FZ6 was not bad though), less weight, less top heavy, etc. Wound up with a 2012 CBR600RR, changed the clip on's for Heili Bars which made the riding position almost perfect, added a Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen and a Sadlemen seat. Ride it every day to work take day trips and ride the twisties - fast and smooth!!! Midrange power is significantly better than the FZ6. Took a 1,200 mile trip in early July - Birmingham to Sarasota and back. Did the return in one day - similar but better than the FZ6. Wish it had better wind protection but not bad in the hot, cold and rain. For me the FJR was too big and I wanted a light nimble bike that was precise and could be ridden long distances.

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
I swapped my FZ6 for an FJR... and I wouldn't go back. Sure, the FJR is heavier, but you don't feel any of it once underway. It's more comfortable, faster, has rock-steady handling and great brakes. A lot of power but it's civilized... grab a bunch of throttle and it doesn't surprise you. It just goes.

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've had my 2007 FZ6 Fazer S2 for a year now, and put almost 9.000 miles on her. Every second has been pure joy :cheer: So no complaints...

However, I don't use her to commute, only for fun, and lately I find myself travelling 80 to 100 miles to reach good twisty roads. That means I often do 300-400 miles per day. And that made me think about upgrading to a more sports-touring kind of bike. Plus those high-revs all the time make the ride a bit too nervous to my taste (yeah I'm getting old ;) )

I have ridden a FZ1 before, and I don't really consider it as an alternative. It's an awesome bike, great power and handling, but won't offer me the comfort I'm looking for. It's more like a bigger FZ6, not really different.

So that made me look at the FJR1300. It's very different, so much bigger, and I'm worried it might be too big for me. I don't know how it handles the twisties, and if I'll still be able to ride small backroads (no off-road though).

So if price was not an object, would you guys consider a FJR1300? Why? Advantages / disadvantages? How does the power compare to that of the FZ6? Or should I stay with the FZ6, or take another look at the FZ1?

Thanks for your input :thumbup:

You can always put some money into your FZ6 to make it comfortable and set up for touring? Alot of us on here have aftermarket seats, handlebars, windshields, suspension, brakes, etc that turn the FZ6 into a great touring bike... I've not ridden either of the other bikes (fz1 or fjr) but I have done every kind of riding possible on my FZ6 and I don't think I could ever part with it. After riding my dads tricked out Super Tenere it would be nice to have a bigger more comfortable bike, but I don't want to have a bike that rides like a car, I like the visceral feel of making my bike do what I want rather than it doing everything for me, if that even makes sense...

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
You should start this poll over but modify the FZ6 to the FZ6R and add the FZ9. I would be curious to see the results.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I know it's some people's cup of tea, but I remember reading a mag on the 6R and thought "just about everything on paper is worse." I know yamaha lacks in the beginner catagory but come on!

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've had my 2007 FZ6 Fazer S2 for a year now, and put almost 9.000 miles on her. Every second has been pure joy :cheer: So no complaints...

However, I don't use her to commute, only for fun, and lately I find myself travelling 80 to 100 miles to reach good twisty roads. That means I often do 300-400 miles per day. And that made me think about upgrading to a more sports-touring kind of bike. Plus those high-revs all the time make the ride a bit too nervous to my taste (yeah I'm getting old ;) )

I have ridden a FZ1 before, and I don't really consider it as an alternative. It's an awesome bike, great power and handling, but won't offer me the comfort I'm looking for. It's more like a bigger FZ6, not really different.

So that made me look at the FJR1300. It's very different, so much bigger, and I'm worried it might be too big for me. I don't know how it handles the twisties, and if I'll still be able to ride small backroads (no off-road though).

So if price was not an object, would you guys consider a FJR1300? Why? Advantages / disadvantages? How does the power compare to that of the FZ6? Or should I stay with the FZ6, or take another look at the FZ1?

Thanks for your input :thumbup:

I have limited input to give (I'm still new to the world of Biking!) however my 2 best buds who ride have the 2 bikes you are discussing, an FZ1 and FJR1300. The FZ1 is indeed akin to an FZ6 just more power (I've ridden his '03 a few times - same stance as the FZ6, with only about a 1/4-1/2" difference in seat height from the ground.) My other bud rides the FJR1300 and commutes daily on it (highway and surface streets). He also has done a great deal of riding in the GA mountains, on the Dragon, Wolf Gap, and all those great places I always hear about. He has a youtube channel that you could check out if you wanted to see him tackling some twisties on the FJR, which he doesn't seem to have any problem doing;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGajdLIz7V4nBTfvQvX9UYg

To me the FJR appears to be pretty big (and I'm a big guy at 6'4"), but I've seen my bud whip it around like it was nothing - he's 5'10" or so iirc.

edit: further reading on my part would be good, I see you already pulled the trigger. :)

Last edited: