• FZ1

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • FJR1300

Votes: 78 50.6%

• Total voters

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
I love the FZ6 as it is a versitile street bike that allows a more upright seating position, has a sedate, easy powerband for general in town driving, yet can wind it up and GO ! You won't accidentally bring up the front wheel evey time you twist the throttle, yet you can do this with it's great accelleration when you want to. Most of the other sport bikes don't give this "best of both worlds" control. Handling is great. It is fun !

I love my FZ6. Having said that, the FJR 1300 is a nice ride for distance and has many great features and options. It Handles well and has great power. I also think that the Honda ST1300 is similar and has a nice adjustable (height) seat feature built in. Both have adjustable windshields, hard bags, and shaft drive. Both make themselves a fun one up bike, but an easy two up when wanted. If you want a faster version see the Suzuki B King !

If I were to move to another bike in the same style as the FZ6, I might look at Honda's interceptor (800cc?) add a seargent seat and handlebar risers and you have a comparable bike to the FZ6's style, class, weight, with more power. (much better seat)

I personally don't care for the traditional sport bike style as it bends me foreward to much for my aging bones and gives to little wind protection.

I list these three as I've riden them to include long distance rides. Others have experience with different bikes that may do the same thing, but I have not ridden them.

I also have a crusier and a GoldWing. I'm contemplating either the FJR or ST in addition to my Wing (just for me to ride solo on) If were to decide to replace the FZ6, (which I'm not unless it gives me trouble) I would, at this time, get the interceptor. If I replace my current cruiser at this time, I would get the Yamaha Raider.

Keeping the Wing. Period.

Just my opinion. Ride then decide, Good luck.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The FJR seems like a great bike to own. Shaft drive simplifies maintenance a bit, until one has to regrease the splines. Big torquey motor for two up riding. Almost everything is adjustable. The saddle bags can be removed for lane splitting if one needs to. The motorcycle police officers around my area use the ST1300, also a good bike from what I have read. I got pulled over by one of them recently. I have to say, they are hella quiet. Not too sure about the torque reaction from the longitudinal twin though.

bard

Secret Soi Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I would probably go for FZ6 again for the purpose of it, tried the FZ1 and didn't like it, the tank is wide seat crap and it sucks down fuel as no tomorrow. Tried the FJR and it's not a nimble fun twistie bike as the FZ6, that is a tour bike only really, the FZ6 is much more it's a do-it-all.

If I had to upgrade the CC I would probably go for a Truimph Sprint ST, same concept really... sport tourer, a do-it-all bike.

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
You mean the FZ6 is not a Sport Touring Bike? I have been tricked!!!! I told my parents and my wife that the FZ6 is a Sport Touring Bike and not a Crotch Rocket. I think they believe me. FZ6 is my 3rd bike and thus far, I like it the most by far.

I have never ridden a FZ1 or FJR. I was told the FZ6 has plenty of power and didn't need a FZ1 and for all I know, that is true. If money was not an object, I would have a FJR in a New York Second. I have sat on that bike many times in various dealerships. One day, I will own one.

Which bike is the best? Just depends on what kind of riding you want to do and how comfortable you want to be.

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
My next ride will probably be an FZ1. Seems like most FZ6 guys really aren't big fans of it, I know, but to me it still resembles so much of what makes our bikes so great. . . .it's just faster:D My personal taste lies with sportbikes. If I wasn't on a FZ-something it'd be an R1 or CBR.

I'm with you on the ST thing, though. And fact is, 95% of my riding is either commuting of of the ST nature. So, sport bike taste with practical needs equals FZ.

A couple buddies of mine have a Kawi Concourse and a Triumph Sprint ST. They both love their bikes dearly, and they've both proven to be a lot of fun. As a current FZ6 owner, I'll take a guess that something as large as the Kawi is not a consideration. It's a big bike. However, it's not that much bigger than the FJR. And, though I can't personally vouch for it, several magazines have compared the two and found the Kawi to be both more comfortable and more sporty on the backroads and highways where most of us do our ST riding.

The Sprint ST great bike. I'm a big fan of the Triumph triple-cyl engines. They're strong and smooth on either end of the RPM range. They sound pretty cool too. The Sprint is more practical around town than the FJR or the Kawi. From what I've seen, it's more nimble too. If you like safe, ABS is available. If you like power, it's smooth and very controllable but'll power-wheelie easily.

Other things to consider: Honda is rumored to replace the Interceptor soon (next year?). I wouldn't consider they're other ST bike - typical Honda reliability but a little boring. The FZ1 has been around since '06 and I'd guess it'll be replaced or updated soon too.

I've got 10k on my '07 FZ6. I love my bike. But I'm hoping to hear something about a new FZ1 before I decide what my next bike will be. Has anyone heard anything? I wouldn't mike checking out that new Interceptor, too. :thumbup:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

However, I don't use her to commute, only for fun, and lately I find myself travelling 80 to 100 miles to reach good twisty roads. That means I often do 300-400 miles per day. And that made me think about upgrading to a more sports-touring kind of bike. Plus those high-revs all the time make the ride a bit too nervous to my taste (yeah I'm getting old ;) )

I have ridden a FZ1 before, and I don't really consider it as an alternative. It's an awesome bike, great power and handling, but won't offer me the comfort I'm looking for. It's more like a bigger FZ6, not really different.

So that made me look at the FJR1300. It's very different, so much bigger, and I'm worried it might be too big for me. I don't know how it handles the twisties, and if I'll still be able to ride small backroads (no off-road though).

Thanks for your input :thumbup:

Having ridden all sorts of sport-touring bikes, including the new C-14 by Kawasaki, my basic conclusion is they are heavy in city traffic and not much fun for anything less than 200-300 miles per day! The FZ6 with aftermarket shocks handles much better than all three. You might also consider getting a larger sprocket which will drop your RPMS and a Power Commander to smooth out any rough spots on the RPM range. All three bikes, the ST, FJR and RT have much more torque and is more linear in nature. For example, the ST1300 has constant, strong pull all through the RPM band whereas the FZ starts to get fun after 6-7k. You do have more integrated luggage but again, they are heavy...you will feel it when lugging around a parking lots or pulling it out of the garage. Anyway...the Honda

ST1300 - If there's even a touch of GoldWing lust in you, then this is a good choice. Strong, smooth, heavy, comfortable, dead reliable. Big drawbacks are weight again, heat (Honda hasn't yet done a heat-control revision like Yamaha has with the FJR), and the infamous weave which only happens N of 110 mph or so, but it depends on a number of factors such as pre-load, windscreen height etc.

Honda_ST1300_Pan_European_2008_rouge_stpz.jpg

FJR: The value choice. Refined in 2006 to cure almost all the small problems with the original. Fast, fairly sporty, and with good handling up to 7/10ths, but after this, let down by el-cheapo suspension and cornering clearance problems (both fixable with a healthy infusion of money in the aftermarket)- it's a low-slung beast. Just a big, friendly, let's-cross-a-few states bike. This is the fastest of the three sport-touring bikes and can reach speeds up to 150 MPH.

black+yamaha+fjr+1300.jpg

RT: The oddball. If you like BMW twins, you want this bike, but they're an acquired taste if you haven't developed it yet. Engaging/charismatic engine, but down on power and much more vibes, although many prefer low-freq twin vibes to buzzy inline-four vibes, even when they're a lot more of them. Best suspension and the telelever, so probably the best handling bike, especially in the bumps, but you have to get used to the different feel and trust the front end which feels vague initially. Lots of weather protection and lots of gizmos. Expensive to purchase and own and a notch down in reliability compared to Japanese bikes, but a bike you could own for a long time and not tire of or feel it is obsolete.

automania-3-bmw-rt-1200.jpg

I hope this helps.

Fred

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Spot on!

I had a ST1100, the heat was unbearable. Had a 2006 FJR, the handling was scary, and had several small issues that have since been addressed in the 2008 model. Had an RT1100, great bike until things started breaking and I couldn't afford to fix them.

If I were to buy today, it would be between the C14 and FJR.

Last edited:
S

somedayrider

fjr ive ridden on the back of it (to young to drive) very powerful reached my personal highest speed ever on it *whistling* but besides that fjr very comfy powerful and great manuveribility i feel safe and sturdy on that bike

Got-boost?

Reaction score
Visit site
You forgot both in there, I now have a 07 FZ6 the Wifes and my new FZ1 I just picked up 5 hrs ago.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FJR for me.
At the recent bike show at Jacob Javitz in NYC, I had the chance to sit on all three sport tourers, Honda ST1300, Kawasaki Concourse and my beloved FJR. They say you know the bike is for you when you sit on it and it feels just right, well that's what the FJR did for me. The other two bikes were much bigger than the FJR, heavier too. Although I haven't ridden on any of these bikes, something about the Yamaha felt all too right. The body fairing also extends outward to provide slightly more wind protection if needed. Although the Honda appears more updated in styling over the FJR and scored well in my book, but not much more. The Concourse has some pretty good reviews (so I was told), but it's to bulky for me. Maybe when I'm ready I'll go for the old man's sport bike. My only concern is gas consumption of the FJR versus the FZ6 and maybe the insurance, its it less mileage and more insurance????

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
FJR for me.
At the recent bike show at Jacob Javitz in NYC, I had the chance to sit on all three sport tourers, Honda ST1300, Kawasaki Concourse and my beloved FJR. They say you know the bike is for you when you sit on it and it feels just right, well that's what the FJR did for me. The other two bikes were much bigger than the FJR, heavier too. Although I haven't ridden on any of these bikes, something about the Yamaha felt all too right. The body fairing also extends outward to provide slightly more wind protection if needed. Although the Honda appears more updated in styling over the FJR and scored well in my book, but not much more. The Concourse has some pretty good reviews (so I was told), but it's to bulky for me. Maybe when I'm ready I'll go for the old man's sport bike. My only concern is gas consumption of the FJR versus the FZ6 and maybe the insurance, its it less mileage and more insurance????

I could get low to mid 40's with my FJR if I was careful. Cold weather, short trips dropped it to mid to high 30's. Insurance was not too bad, but I am old and a certified safety instructor.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
A couple buddies of mine have a Kawi Concourse and a Triumph Sprint ST. They both love their bikes dearly, and they've both proven to be a lot of fun. As a current FZ6 owner, I'll take a guess that something as large as the Kawi is not a consideration. It's a big bike. However, it's not that much bigger than the FJR. And, though I can't personally vouch for it, several magazines have compared the two and found the Kawi to be both more comfortable and more sporty on the backroads and highways where most of us do our ST riding.

That's not what I have read. I found this review recently for example:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/539/Motorcycle-Article/2008-Super-Sport-Touring-Comparo.aspx

It's the FJR vs. Honda ST1300 vs. Kawi Concours 14 vs. BMW K1200GT

Final score:

4: Honda ST1300
3: BMW K1200GT
2: Kawa Concours 14
1: Yamaha FJR1300 :cheer:

The C14 is a noble first-year effort from Kawasaki, but it's monster motor doesn't make up some of its deficiencies. The Kaw felt less spry than its competition in the handling department, and with its greedy motor demanding constant open-throttle application, the 5.8-gallon tank was always the first to need filling. Sub-200-mile range does not befit a "touring" bike.

And more...

In the end it's an emotional choice. Either it "clicks" with a certain bike or it doesn't. You sit on it, and everything feels right, or it doens't. And I'm a Yammie kind of guy :rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments guys, really appreciate it!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
FJR's rock!
Did a little 575 mile ride on mine yesterday. Averaged 43-50 mpg and somehow the max speed on my GPS reads 148mph:innocent:............ not too shabby for a bike with 54K miles.

One more thing on the Connie, you will need a loan to replace any body work. Kawi is real proud of those parts. Besides Kawi doen not have the fit and finish quality of a Yamaha.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
A first generation FZ1 could also be a consideration. More comfortable for long distances than the FZ6 or a second gen FZ1, but lighter than the FJR. They usually go fairly cheap too. May be able to setup the FZ1 for touring and keep the FZ6 for shorter stuff.

Great choice!

FZ1 - First Generation

131482405-M.jpg

or a Suzuki Bandit

5662280120_large.jpg

Perhaps a Honda VFR with integrated luggage?

002.jpg

Fred

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Not a Yammy but what about a VFR800 - it's heavier than the FZ, more setup as a sport tourer, more wind protection from the full fairing and more integrated luggage but not a big as the FJR. I agree the FZ does get a little high-strung feeling after many hours on the highway - an hour here and there doesn't really bother me though if it's interspersed with some moderate speed roads with more twisties.

The VFR also has the variable valves in it and is a completely different beast when you get over 8K revs. I tried one before I bought the Fazer - and it was probably my other option - but at the time I thought an 800 would be a bit much. I'd be happy with one now though.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
My local Yamaha dealership had some FJR's in their garage, I went to check them out, test rode one, and couldn't resist any longer.

I have sold my trusty FZ6 and bought a 2007 FJR1300 with 14.000 miles on it. I'm picking her up tonight. Super stoked!!!

I'll make another thread about it soon, when I have some experience on the FJR so I can compare both bikes :) :)

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
My local Yamaha dealership had some FJR's in their garage, I went to check them out, test rode one, and couldn't resist any longer.

I have sold my trusty FZ6 and bought a 2007 FJR1300 with 14.000 miles on it. I'm picking her up tonight. Super stoked!!!

I'll make another thread about it soon, when I have some experience on the FJR so I can compare both bikes :) :)

congratulations on the new (to you) bike! I am a little jealous (a lot jealous) as I know my 2,000 mile trip in 3 weeks would be much nicer on a FeeJuR

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the Feejer world. You are going to have a grin for years to come. Now you can pratice trying to keep it at the speed limit :)
Post a few pics once you get it farkled up!