FZ6 H4 Naked Conversion Mod

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, sorry to open a new thread on this topic that has probably been beat to death. However i'm not able to find out exactly what I need in the other threads, only a small mention of it. I am doing the standard non-Yamaha conversion that you would purchase on eBay for about $260, except instead of buying the kit I'm piecing together the parts one by one because of not being able to commit to a single naked conversion in the past like an idiot.

Anyways, so now I have all the pieces except for the actual headlight housing. And I'm thinking ahead to how I want to wire up the headlights, and I'm reading the various threads on this. People saying to wire up blank, and solder that stuff, install relays and blah blah blah. And I find myself thinking that it shouldn't have to be that complicated right? The H4 socket and H7 socket are literally the same thing right? The difference between the H4 and H7 bulb however is that the H7 has two prongs, and the H4 has three. The top being the power for the high beam filament on the H4 bulb that isn't used in the stock configuration. So, what I'm thinking, and what someone mentioned in another thread is that instead of doing all that stuff to utilize both filiments. Why can't I just wire up a socket to the low beam wires. Then run the hot from the high beam harness to the third, top prong, and splice the ground into the low beam ground as well? So bike comes on, low beam does too, flip the high beam switch, high beams come on. No running the high beam switch all the time like some people do for some reason because we didn't use the high beam wires for the main light. Does this sound like a decent solution? obviously this means both filaments on the bulb would be running at once which would cause extensive heat. After prolonged use bulb failure could occur. But at least I would have both low and high beams available. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Here is a awesome paint photo I made to convey what I want to do:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

IanHoots

Reaction score
Visit site
From experience I can say that running both filaments at the same time on a 12V H4 bulb the life expectancy is very short. H4 needs to be switched over, the simplest way would be with the BD43 mod (I think its named after the inventor) how-to listed on here somewhere. I read it the other day and it's quite informative, with pics etc. The FZ6 original loom is designed to switch a dual filament headlight globe over, its just a matter of adding a wire into an existing plug.

If you search for the headlight mod in the how-to section it should all become clear. I may have the name wrong, sorry, can't remember that detail.

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the input. I've looked into the BD43 mod for the stock fairing and lights but didn't know it would work on a single bulb naked setup. I still have a couple questions but I will ask the experts on that thread. Thanks man!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk