FZ6 Headlight Mod

NRKC

Reaction score
Visit site

Hi everybody,

I am a new owner of a 2007 FZ6! I'm loving it so far, but I am looking for some advice on headlight mods.
My FZ6 currently has the full front healight w/fairing (comes stock) as shown in the attached pic. I am looking to do a simple headlight mod with the newer FZ8 (streetfighter look) headlight as shown in the 2nd pic.

I have found a location to by the headlight itself, but do I need the bracket/housing for the headlight? If so, where could I find one?

Also, does going with a streetfighter look really increase how hard the wind hits you while highway driving?

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
First of all, welcome to our community! I think you will find the members here to be very helpful and our boards filled with tons of useful information. Always remember to use the search feature before making a post as there is a long history of Q and A on here.

There are many directions you could go as far as a naked conversion, all of which have been detailed on the boards here. One of the most popular and simpler options is to go with a VS-02 or VS-01 kit which you can buy directly from one of our members, dev_usc. Myself as well as many others use this bolt on kit which utilizes a headlight similar to the one on the FZ8 off of a Yamaha FZ16, a bike only offered overseas. His kit comes with everything you need to do the converrsion and is very affordable. Vishnu (dev_usc) is also a pleasure to work with and offers great customer service. PM him if you are interested in learning more.

Additionally, another member, Motogiro, offers a BD43 relay which when wired in, allows you to seamlessly switch between the low and high beam filiments of the H4 bulb providing you with the option to run a higher wattage bulb and not encounter overheating issues. I definitely recommend this mod in conjunction with any single headlight kit.

Good luck, and keep us posted of your decided route!

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ +1

The official FZ6, FZ8 or FZ1 naked headlights each need their own appropriate headlight stay.
Any of these original headlights will cost you a LOT of money though!! :eek:

The VS-01 and VS-02 kit are also original Yamaha parts, used on the FZ16 as mentioned by Jess (ebster). (The FZ16 is a 160cc motorcycle, sold only in India).
This kit is however much more affordable, and has all the hard work done for you (everything is measured/modded to give you a direct fit).
The FZ8/FZ1 headlight will need some extra fiddling to get it to mount to your FZ6.

You could also look around the net and search for other (imitation) headlights from other makes/models you like :)
Everything is possible :D (and it doesn't need to be as expensive as the original Yamaha parts :Flash:)

Grtz,

Degake

p.s. :welcome: to the family!! :D

NRKC

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to ebster1085 and degake for the reply, I really appreciate it!

Good info/advice.
I am going to pm dev_usc to inquire about the VS-02 kit and motogiro about the BD43 relay.

Does the BD43 relay just enhance the VS-02 kit bulb (and less overheat) or does it only become useful if you replace the standard light in the VS-02 kit with a higher powered light?

Also, do you know of any members who sell bellypans for an 07' FZ6?
I have looked for them online, but usual asking price is around $400 canadian. Wow, expensive!

Ps. Glad to be a part of the forum and FZ family. A nice welcome and helpful replies right from the start. Thanks!

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
The way in which the OEM FZ is wired means that when you convert to a single dual filament H4 headlight setup, both the high and low beam filaments will be illuminated in the high beam setting. To these ends, Vishnu includes a 35 watt H4 bulb with the kit which will not overheat and prematurely and burn out.

If you want to upgrade to a brighter 55/65 watt H4 bulb, you will find that on the high beam setting you will quickly burn through bulbs due to excess heat. With the BD43 relay, you are able to seamlessly switch between high and low beam filaments in the proper manner. When low beam is on, only the low beam filament will be illuminated. When you switch to high beam, the low beam filament will go off, and just the high beam will be triggered.

As far as belly pans, I also found during my search that many are expensive. Personally, I really like the Yamaha pan best, but was turned off by the price. Since my bike is black, I decided to go with the PowerBronze belly pan off eBay. It only cost me $138 shipped, comes in gloss black, and I simply painted the somewhat awkward silver mesh screens black to tie it all together. Check out my profile pic for a better idea of how it looks.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The way in which the OEM FZ is wired means that when you convert to a single dual filament H4 headlight setup, both the high and low beam filaments will be illuminated in the high beam setting. To these ends, Vishnu includes a 35 watt H4 bulb with the kit which will not overheat and prematurely and burn out.

If you want to upgrade to a brighter 55/65 watt H4 bulb, you will find that on the high beam setting you will quickly burn through bulbs due to excess heat. With the BD43 relay, you are able to seamlessly switch between high and low beam filaments in the proper manner. When low beam is on, only the low beam filament will be illuminated. When you switch to high beam, the low beam filament will go off, and just the high beam will be triggered.

As far as belly pans, I also found during my search that many are expensive. Personally, I really like the Yamaha pan best, but was turned off by the price. Since my bike is black, I decided to go with the PowerBronze belly pan off eBay. It only cost me $138 shipped, comes in gloss black, and I simply painted the somewhat awkward silver mesh screens black to tie it all together. Check out my profile pic for a better idea of how it looks.

Eb, are you mixing stuff up?
BD's mod is straight go to, which adds a lead to the OEM harness under the air box. At that point, there is a low 2nd low beam power tap free for the taking if you wish to plug into it.

Moto's mod is less invasive as far as "taking things apart is concerned" but employs an added relay IIRC.

Having said that, I'm a little confused. . .

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Eb, are you mixing stuff up?
BD's mod is straight go to, which adds a lead to the OEM harness under the air box. At that point, there is a low 2nd low beam power tap free for the taking if you wish to plug into it.

Moto's mod is less invasive as far as "taking things apart is concerned" but employs an added relay IIRC.

Having said that, I'm a little confused. . .

No, dont believe I am mixing stuff up. I use Moto's relay mod (maybe I am referring to it with the wrong name?) which allows me to correctly switch between low and high beam settings on my single H4 bulb headlight.

Is Cliff's relay not referred to as a BD43 relay?