FZ6 on short list....Perhaps a nudge?

T Bong

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys I am a long time rider (last 20 years on a couple Honda VT1100 Cruisers)

My last "standard" was a Yamaha 750 Special and a Honda CB900 Custom. I know motors have come a long way since.

The F6 is on my short list along with the SV650S, and VFR interceptor.

According to some "reviews" I have read the FZ' weak spot is it's engine. I read it was buzzy at 5k, Very peaky, and has a fuel injection system/throttle response not to be desired.

Now I realize this is an FZ forum and there will be plenty of support for the bike. But I was wondering if you guy found any of this to be true and to what degree.

I also am looking at a black one at the local Honda dealer. What is a good and fair OTD to offer minus tax?

I sat on the bike for 5 minutes and already had a Corbin seat add as a necessity along with a taller screen. What other farkles did you guys find imperative.

I also have not found many accesories for this bike. Where are they hiding?

What is real world fuel economy? The VFR has me reeling with only 35MPG!!! My VT1100 does nearly 50!!

The reason I like the SV650 is the V twin torque. I really do not want to have to constantly shift to stay in a narrow power zone. Does the FZ play nice around town from 35-60 or does it require a couple pulls of the clutch to get some roll on going?

Thanks for your input.

Hi guys I am a long time rider (last 20 years on a couple Honda VT1100 Cruisers)

My last "standard" was a Yamaha 750 Special and a Honda CB900 Custom. I know motors have come a long way since.

According to some "reviews" I have read the FZ' weak spot is it's engine. I read it was buzzy at 5k, Very peaky, and has a fuel injection system/throttle response not to be desired.

Now I realize this is an FZ forum and there will be plenty of support for the bike. But I was wondering if you guy found any of this to be true and to what degree.

I also am looking at a black one at the local Honda dealer. What is a good and fair OTD to offer minus tax?

I sat on the bike for 5 minutes and already had a Corbin seat add as a necessity along with a taller screen. What other farkles did you guys find imperative.

What is real world fuel economy? The VFR has me reeling with only 35MPG!!! My VT1100 does nearly 50!!

The reason I like the SV650 is the V twin torque. I really do not want to have to constantly shift to stay in a narrow power zone. Does the FZ play nice around town from 35-60 or does it require a couple pulls of the clutch to get some roll on going?

Thanks for your input.
Hi Mate,
Welcome to the site. This question has been asked a load of times already. Firstly you will get honest answers.
The bike has a motor that is different to many others. I have never found it wanting for torque or power.
Yes the power comes in really strong and high up the rev range 7000rpm (smiles per hour) 9-10000 (grins per hour). If you dont shift up until 5000rpm then its fine and has enough roll on power.
I really disliked the on off throttle of my 2005 first. I am now used to it and don't even notice it. In terms of power the FZ6 beats the SV hands down. Test ride them both and see which one is you. I am betting that the FZ6 will fit the bill. At the end of the day its your money. Purchase the one you are most happy with.

Nelly

First off the engine is a little buzzy but that is something minor, at least to me. Also be careful of the taller windshield because you might be funneling air to your helmet. I know the wind can seem to push you around with the stock windscreen but wait till all that force is at your helmet versus your chest.

One last thing, trying to compare a sv to the fz is like comparing a dog to a cat, two different things

One last thing, trying to compare a sv to the fz is like comparing a dog to a cat, two different things

Not in as much as they are both motorcycles in the mid range and are compared routinely in magazines and on line shoot outs. I take reviews with a grain of salt.
(BTW the reviews all picked the SV. Honda 599 and FZ6 in that order because of the engine the FZ6 was third. Thats why I come to the source of real world riders to see how much of what the reviewers say is true. I post the same question in the SV forums.

If indeed they should not or cannot be compared what makes the FZ6 incomparable?

If that question was answered I would know the definite differences and make a decision quickly. Unfortunately The dealers here does not allow "test rides". A test ride would instantly anser all my questions about both bikes.

Last edited:
What type of riding do you do? That and ergonomics are the big factors in chosing what type of bike you want.

The VFR is a really nice bike but check service costs, I thought I read where the valve adjustment is big $$ due to the vtec motor.

SV650 good handling bike but down on power and brakes next to the FZ.

Farkles: frame sliders! I like my stock windshield and 2Bros exhaust, after that mostly cosmetic farkles.

Cost: check cycletrader online for what the bike sells for in your area.

You can spend all day in second between 35-60 if you want to have fun.

Great motor and fuel injection is smooth, a bit abrupt only when ridden incorrectly. Smooth throtle inputs make happy riding.

Which ever bike you get take a riding class at a racetrack, best money you can spend!

If indeed they should not or cannot be compared what makes the FZ6 incomparable?

If that question was answered I would know the definite differences and make a decision quickly. Unfortunately The dealers here does not allow "test rides". A test ride would instantly anser all my questions about both bikes.

The motors in general are different. The sv will have good solid low end torque but they still have the vibrations of the v-twin. I chose the fz over the sv because of that reason. They both can handle and they both are comfortable. there is just no substitute for the feel of an inline 4 cylinder.

Thanks for your input.

How's about some real world input from somebody that is truly sick of hearing about the lack of torque, buzzy feelings, tricky throttle, weird clutch, touchy brakes and on and on and on. I have the 2004 model and I use it for everything I can squeeze out of it. In regards to the shifting around town, no I do not have to as I can run in third gear, have plenty of pull and hold it there up to 100mph if needs be but for the most part 50 will do nicely. The FZ6 may not have quite as much torque as the SV650 but it really doesn't matter as the FZ6 will eat that 650 for breakfast in any range if the rider knows what he/she is doing and hasn't short shifted it. As far as gas mileage goes I have been able to pull better than 50 but this does require me to totally change my ride style in an effort to become a throttle miser. As it is I seem to have problems keeping it under 75 on the slab and I have zero problems riding 100+ miles on the stock saddle without stopping.

The FZ6 is a solid mount which requires very little in terms of maintenance. It good on tires, brakes and flat hasn't given me any troubles for over 15,000 miles. Yeah, it does love RPM and it does need to be kept in the zone but then again, you have 14,000rpm to play with too. Bottom line, find me another bike that has as diverse a use as the FZ6 as it can be tracked, toured or just plain putzed around.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW great comments. I did take pause on the one that said the FZ may pale vs my 1100 in terms of what I am used to.......That would be a disappointment for sure. I wisjh I could remember what it felt like on the slab with the CB900 and the XS750 I had. I do remember the thumper 650 Yamaha.

I do like the tractor pull feeling of a big V twin chugging up a hill rolling on in 4th gear though. Its just not nimble and too easy to scrape bike parts when you forget for a moment the lack of clearance especially 2 up.

Well bike week is coming and the big boys will be here with the trailers full of rice to try. I may just buy the FJR and be done with it.....LOL,

How's about some real world input from somebody that is truly sick of hearing about the lack of torque, buzzy feelings, tricky throttle, weird clutch, touchy brakes and on and on and on. I have the 2004 model and I use it for everything I can squeeze out of it. In regards to the shifting around town, no I do not have to as I can run in third gear, have plenty of pull and hold it there up to 100mph if needs be but for the most part 50 will do nicely. The FZ6 may not have quite as much torque as the SV650 but it really doesn't matter as the FZ6 will eat that 650 for breakfast in any range if the rider knows what he/she is doing and hasn't short shifted it. As far as gas mileage goes I have been able to pull better than 50 but this does require me to totally change my ride style in an effort to become a throttle miser. As it is I seem to have problems keeping it under 75 on the slab and I have zero problems riding 100+ miles on the stock saddle without stopping.

The FZ6 is a solid mount which requires very little in terms of maintenance. It good on tires, brakes and flat hasn't given me any troubles for over 15,000 miles. Yeah, it does love RPM and it does need to be kept in the zone but then again, you have 14,000rpm to play with too. Bottom line, find me another bike that has as diverse a use as the FZ6 as it can be tracked, toured or just plain putzed around.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I currently own both an FZ6 and an SV650S (my first bike, which I haven't had the heart to sell yet) Personally, I love the sound and feel of the in-line 4, and the comfort and fun factor of the FZ6 just can't be beat! But of course it all comes down to personal preference in the end.... Happy shopping!

I also considered the SV650 along with the the Ninja 650. I liked the looks of the Ninja 650, but after riding it (they had a used one with very few miles they let me take out) found the parallel twin to be very lacking. I was surprised that it performed as well as it did, it's just not going to compete with either of the other two bikes. The guy at the bike shop was really pushing me towards the SV and offered a killer deal on it. Thing was, it just wasn't comfortable for me. Too much forward lean. I actually looked at the Honda 599 as well. It was just kinda ugly, had no center stand, it was carburated. I was really shocked at the price of the 599. It was just too high especially for not being fuel injected. So, I went with the FZ. The wife and kids gave it to me for Fathers Day last year. I've put over 6K miles on this bike with some day rides exceeding 300 miles. I've owned nearly 30 bikes and had all types of bikes from older standards, to goldwings to sport bikes and cruisers. The last two bikes were a '05 HD Wide Glide and an '05 VT750 Shadow Spirit (wifes bike). I let her ride the FZ, and it was all over. She just kept bugging me to ride my bike. So I knew it was time for another bike. I looked at the FJ1300, and the FZ1 and didn't like them compared to the FZ. My birthday was in April so the wife made it a great one:
P4060002.jpg
This picture sums it up nicely. There's nothing out there today I'd rather own than the FZ so I now own the blue one. It's already got 1500 miles on it. Hope this is helpful

Last edited:
Owning both bikes I can let you know each is a good bike. If you are looking tons of power and torque plus all day comfort for long distance rides get the FJR.

If you want a bike for around town and day rides on those fun back roads the FZ6 or FZ1 would be a better choice. FZ 400 lbs, FJR 650+ lbs.

I ride em' both hard and they each get around 42+mpg. Come to think of it get one of each!

Two months ago, I was also considering the SV650 (naked, as the S is has uncomfortable-looking sport ergos) vs FZ6. Main consideration was comfortable riding position. I read some of those same articles as you about peaky and awkward clutch. None of it ever bothered me. Got lots of good input from this community:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/main-lobby/4174-should-i-choose-fz6.html

I asked a similar question of the SV650 community. Those people liked their bike, but there was distinctly more grumbling about sore wrists, even from the naked owners. Hardly anyone on the FZ6 forum is unhappy with their purchase. I never got a chance to ride an SV650 or even sit on one, but no matter now. I made a good choice, even if somewhat uninformed.

For the last two years I have been riding my father's BMW R1150RT whenever I could. It is a great bike and a twin if not a v-twin. I, like you, did a lot of research on the web and in magazines when I started looking into a new bike. I knew before I ever set eyes on one that the size would fit me (6'4" and 260lbs). I knew it has a nice size tank for a good range and I wanted a naked (semi) bike. I finally saw one and sat on it in the showroom and purchased it. I had never even heard the engine run!

I went and picked it up and spent 8 days getting it home in a very round-about manner. I got to know the bike pretty well in a short time and I was blown away at how good it is. I expected it to be very good and it exceeded all of my expectations.

Specifically, the engine will do as you ask (it will complain if you lug it just like every other motorised vehicle), it is as comfortable for me as the RT, it routinely gets 300km on a tank before I feel the need to fill up, it handles great even with the soft suspension and last, but not least, it is great to simply sit and look at it.

Good luck finding the right bike for you...I spent MONTHS pouring through every site I could find on the web and every magazine I could get my hands on. It was fun but I am so glad it's over!

I couldn't agree more with you, havblue... you will look hard and long to find a bike more diverse... Yes, the motor does throw some sounds at you, but for me it's what an fz6 shall sound like. it's part of the DNA of the bike, you might say.
bottom line: it will probably be the bike buy I will be the most satisfied with as long as I ride.

Last edited:
I believe that the SV is def a bad choice if it's for the town (see comments above for the clipons). Otherwise they are both very very good bikes.

They are just different. The SV offers torque in the low end of the powerband while the FZ doesn't. The FZ offers LOADS of fun after midrange, the SV can't compete here. So, go ride them both and see which suits your needs best. If you can test ride them, don't choose without doing so.

Back