FZ6 S2 08 starts in a random basis

papageorge

New Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi! Thanks everybody for this informative forum.

I am pretty new with motorbikes and I need your opinion.
I got an FZ6 S2 08 about 3 weeks ago. Everything was great.
Around one week ago I was stuck in the traffic and the weather was really hot so I took a break to relax. After 30 mins I tried to continue my trip and the bike did not start so as a result I push started it. From other threads, I realized that this is something that could happen.
The problem start here. From then on, I am facing the same problem in a random basis, no matter how the weather is, if I have made a short ride before or anything else....
For example the last incident, I did a 5 mins ride and everything was fine, I tried to start it again after 1 hour and it did not start. I push started again and I tested it twice before reaching home (additional 5 mins ride) and everything was without problem. :confused:
When I turn the key the fuel pump is working, I have gasoline, the gauges are working, the starter works but the engine does not start. If I try some more times to start normally the starter fades out and the only option is to push start the bike (again and again...).
I went to the dealer and he told me that the battery is OK and the starter works.......
Do you have any ideas what's wrong????

Any ideas would be really helpful!!!!!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and having the best year FZ! :welcome:

Your problem is pretty odd. Did you have ANY recent work done to the bike or RAISE THE FUEL TANK?

If the engine is spinning over, its not the red kill switch (a common issue).

Re the fuel tank, there are two hoses that attach underneath the fuel tank, towards the very top. One is an overflow line, the other a vent line. Theu both should exit to the right side of the bike, just behind the brake lever. If you peek in between the frame and the tank (both sides), you can see both hoses. You may want to follow those lines down and make sure their NOT KINKED. You can gently tug on them to straighten them out. If you have a spare key, you can also open the fuel cap and try starting it again (by passing) the vent line altogether.

If that doesn't pan out, its likely something electrical.

Pick up a spare spark plug for the bike, carry it with you. When the bike won't start, pull the #4, (right most, easiest to access) spark plug wire off (by the boot, DON'T TUG ON THE WIRE ITSELF). Plug in your spare spark plug, ground it, then crank the bike over, looking for spark. That will help narrow down if its electrical or something else.

BTW, If you put a little bit of di-lectric grease on the edge of the spark plug boot (where it meets the valve cover) it'll come off and go back on considerably easier..

Being its happening at different temps, it may have something to do with your immobilizer. Checking the spark as noted above should help eliminate it (or not). We don't have it in the states, others more familar with it may chime in...

Re-reading the end of your post, with the battery fading occassionally, have it LOAD TESTED. It could be as as simple as a weak battery not holding a charge. My bike will start with voltage dropping very low to approx 7-8 volts and still spin over. If yours won't do that, that battery doesn't sound healthy. Unless he load tested it and verified it good, listening to the battery turn over ONLY doesn't cut it... The charging system needs to be checked as well once the battery is ruled as good

I think I would find another shop BTW, he's not helping much..

Last edited:

papageorge

New Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the fast replies.
I did not do any work to the bike.
My first suspect was the battery that's why I went to the dealer....
I will try the troubleshooting for the battery (it looks extremely helpful).

papageorge

New Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys!just for the follow up.

The situation became even worse.
I started by checking the hoses from the tank, they are fine. Then I took out the battery and I charged it in a tender and everything was fine.
I left the battery without doing anything to see if it getting discharged and it was still ok but it looked fine.
I put the battery back in place and the motorbike started normally, so I did a ride where I tried two times the starter and everything worked perfectly ( I said the problem is over....unfortunately not....).
The next morning I tried to start the motorbike again but nothing.....Now the starter is fading out directly, again I had to push start. :eek:
My next step was to check the spark plugs but when I was going to the shop to buy some spare and I was waiting to a red light the engine stopped and the power was completely off, the dashboard was dead, everything....:eek: Hopefully the road had a small slope and I just let the motorbike to roll and I jump started again by using the clutch in 2nd gear.
I did not touch anything, no kill switch, no key nothing and the motorbike started really smoothly. After 5 mins the same thing happened again and I started with the same way again. (I was stack in the traffic for 30 mins but I think it does not play any role)
Sorry for this long post but I do not know what to do. I do not have tools to perform any troubleshooting and I a afraid that I will pay too much tomorrow to my service center.
The most important thing...I am not having fun.
Anyway, if someone has an idea...it could be extremely helpful... :confused:

papageorge

New Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Something important I forgot to mention is that after the first loss of power the alarm yellow light started blinking......:mad:

I hope to be able to reach tomorrow the shop...10 mins ride....

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
had something similar happening 2 years ago and it ended up being battery. Bike would start only when it wanted to even on a fully charged batter (old one on the bike) once new battery went in problems went away. I think this might be your cheapest way out and you can replace it yourself

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I suspect the blinking alarm yellow light is the key, something is amiss there, its warning you. The shop should be able to test the immobilizer.

Besides chargng the battery, get it LOAD TESTED. Don't just look at your meter and see, say 13 volts. It doesn't mean anything if it can't carry the amperage. Your loosing, at the worst, all power, intermediatly...

The battery may have an internal short as your loosing all power.

Another member had a bad ignition switch. He would jiggle the key and get power back (very similar issues as yours but I don't re-call he had an immobilizer)

Just in case:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/50068-immobilizer-lost-key-fix.html

papageorge

New Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys.

I load tested the battery....and it was dead.
I replaced it and for 5 days now everything is working fine. Hope that stays like that.

Thanks for the replies and all the info provided in the forum.

Ride safely.:thumbup: