FZ6 slower with premium fuel?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The most common problem as has been stated is bad gas. A lot of stations have water problems, or the gas they got was bad to begin with. Isoheet should fix any water problems.

As far as which octane to go with, it's kind of like the oil debates. Everybody has their own preferences.

For a stock vehicle, motorcycle or otherwise, 87 is fine. However if power is your goal and you have aftermarket exhaust, air filter, and a power commander map to make use of it, 91 or 93 will make a little difference. To each his own!

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Belgium we don't even have lower than 95... Here you can choose between 95 or 98. I always drive with 95 and after 4 tanks I put in an 98. My manual says: "Your yamaha engine is built for the use of fuel with at least an octane rate of 91..."

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Belgium we don't even have lower than 95... Here you can choose between 95 or 98. I always drive with 95 and after 4 tanks I put in an 98. My manual says: "Your yamaha engine is built for the use of fuel with at least an octane rate of 91..."

The ratings in europe and america are different.

In the US, they use "Research Octane Number (RON) + Motor Octane Number (MON) divided by 2", also known as "Anti-Knock Index (AKI)".
In most other places, they just use "Research Octane Number (RON)" ratings.

So the numbers may be different, but the ratings are the same.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
40 cents less a tank means nothing to me ..........I would pay $40.00 more a tank for 93 octane because I love my Fz6....and I would NEVER let it burn 87 octane fuel...

Haven't we been through this several times already? As long as pre-ignition does not occur there is zero, repeat...zero, advantage to using higher octane gas. You are not doing your FZ6 any favors. The only favors are to those selling the stuff.

Tim

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't we been through this several times already? As long as pre-ignition does not occur there is zero, repeat...zero, advantage to using higher octane gas. You are not doing your FZ6 any favors. The only favors are to those selling the stuff.

Tim
Yea, your right we've beat this horse to death....I was drunk last night,otherwise I would not have even responded...Well i'm going to go pay my $2.56 a gallon for the 93octane when I could be paying $2.43 a gallon for the 87octane.... I probably need 3 gallons..so I guess i'm going to just throw away .39 cents....That's allmost enough money to buy a postage stamp!! but somebody has to pay for the oil company's C.E.O. bonus check might as well be me... :D

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Now, if the discussion were about "proofs" in liquor, I say---if you don't mind catching a buzz---go for the higher number. Remember when they ALL used to be 86 proof instead of 80 proof?

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
All of the technical research that I have done leads me to believe that an internal combustion will run best on the lowest octane fuel that does not cause detonation. Our FZ6s are factory rated to run 87 octane (USA style) and that is what I run in mine.

Based on what I understand, I believe it may be possible to lose power by running too high of an octane, does to the lowered volatility of the fuel. (Maybe that's not the correct description or choice of words....) I have no idea how Japanese engineers make such high compression engines run on low octane, but thanks!

My 95 Trans-Am requires premium and it will knock/ping if you run less than 92 octane. Boy you can feel the power loss on that car when the PCM retards the timing.

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 doesn't require premium fuel. Here in Cal it's 87 octane. Anything else just cost more and the bike doesn't need it in stock form.

Don't waste your money. 87 works well and is the cheapest gas here in Cal. Anything above and beyond that is a waste of money period. This is just another plus that the FZ6 has.