FZ6 water pump repair help needed.

jczlsr

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a new 2009 FZ6 with 300 miles. I have noticed that every time I shut off the bike, the water pump drips 1 or 2 drips of coolant. I called the Yamaha dealer and was told that the water pump mechanical seal could still be wearing in and could completely seal itself with a few more miles. That is what I'm hoping for. But if it does not, I'm thinking of doing the repair myself because I don't want to make the 40 mile drive to my dealer and leave it for a week if it's an easy fix. I know the cost of the mechanical seal is $28 and the gasket is $7 but just how hard is it to replace this seal? I have also ordered the service manual but have not received it yet. Can anyone who has done this repair give some insight?

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
got any pics of exactly where its leaking from? There shouldn't be a problem with a seal wearing in. There is a bolt on the bottom of the pump housing that is the coolant drain, might want to make sure it's tight. Might want to check the other water pump bolts too while you are at it.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I would NOT be turning a wrench on a new bike with a full warranty. Keep your eye on the pump for another 100 miles. If its still leaking, I'd take her in for repairs.

BTW, I've never heard of a water pump needing to "wear in" so it stops leaking.

jczlsr

Reaction score
Visit site
The drips are coming from the shaft on the water pump side. There is a very small space between the water pump and the engine case. It is in this space that the drip is coming from. I hope this makes sense.

I would like to take it to the Yamaha dealer for a warranty repair and I might have to but if the repair is just a matter of opening the water pump to replace a mechanical seal and gasket for $30, I feel I could handle that. I don't like the fact that they will need it for a week just to make a 30 minute repair.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The drips are coming from the shaft on the water pump side. There is a very small space between the water pump and the engine case. It is in this space that the drip is coming from. I hope this makes sense.

I would like to take it to the Yamaha dealer for a warranty repair and I might have to but if the repair is just a matter of opening the water pump to replace a mechanical seal and gasket for $30, I feel I could handle that. I don't like the fact that they will need it for a week just to make a 30 minute repair.

I would ride to the dealership and talk to the service manager..... and the sales person you bought the bike from. Have them look at the issue with you, and tell you what they are going to do to fix it. If they give you any grief at all, contact the regional service manager for Yamaha.

If it involves repair; have them order the parts and schedule the work for when it's convenient for YOU. Make sure that it's documented in Yamaha's data base. Discuss the use of another bike while yours is in the shop, if they cannot make it right immediately.

If someone F'd up one seal, what do you think the odds are, that there might be another? If it's in the service record, it's covered for the life of the bike in your possession...... they don't make it right the first time, you can make them do it again, until it's fixed.

Something you have a warranty on? Don't intentionally 'blow' that advantage....

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree 100% with the previous poster. While it is under warranty you are way better off letting a yamaha dealer wrench on it for you because any problems that may be caused or found will be covered under the warranty. If you wrench on it yourself you could theoretically void the warranty as far as yamaha is concerned for further repairs in that area of the bike. Like the last poster said, You have the upper hand here so don't give away your advantage. Good luck

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've changed out the mechanical seal on my KLR however its set inside the right side case (have to remove the right side of the engine).

The FZ, I believe, has its water pump bolted to the exterior of the block and then splits into two. There's the mechanical seal itself and a disc (I believe its ceramic) that contact each other. The mechanical seal is pressed into the housing (not a lot of pressure). I'm sure there's a special Yamaha tool to R & R it.

It might take 1 hour, taking your time to swap it out. Being its new, something may have been machined improperly or set up correctly (I don't know if the FZ uses shims, my KLR did to set the correct clearance between the seal and disc)

Being its under warranty, I'd have them replace it after making an appointment. You should be able to wait for it as its right in the open and not hard to get to....

jczlsr

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading the above comments, I decided to drive my FZ6 back to the dealer. They saw the leak coming from the area where the water pump bolts onto the engine case but neither the service person or the mechanic could find the weep hole. The dealer agree to replace the mechanical seal in the water pump to see if that takes care of the leak. The mechanic also told me that he has never replace a mechanical seal on a FZ6 so I'm hoping to get the repair done correctly. I also though they would replace the o-ring and gaskets since Yamaha was going to pay for it but was told it would be only the mechanical seal. Will re-using the old items on a new bike be a concern?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
After reading the above comments, I decided to drive my FZ6 back to the dealer. They saw the leak coming from the area where the water pump bolts onto the engine case but neither the service person or the mechanic could find the weep hole. The dealer agree to replace the mechanical seal in the water pump to see if that takes care of the leak. The mechanic also told me that he has never replace a mechanical seal on a FZ6 so I'm hoping to get the repair done correctly. I also though they would replace the o-ring and gaskets since Yamaha was going to pay for it but was told it would be only the mechanical seal. Will re-using the old items on a new bike be a concern?

The seals are only as old as the rest of the bike..... and you'll have the repair documented by Yamaha. If it needs to be looked at again, you're covered. Even if the warranty expires.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
My new 07 did the same thing right after the first ride. It was always after the ride and parked it. Kept an eye on it and it stopped before 1st oil change due. Did not leak much but just a little was visible.

banditandy

Reaction score
Visit site
The water is coming out of a drain hole on the water pump that is between the mechanical water seal and the oil seal.
Mine did the same thing after only 26 miles on the clock, I fitted a new mechanical water seal myself but think the leak could have been stopped by splitting the mechanical water seal (4) and putting some "instant gasket" sealer between the two parts of the seal

Fairport

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I have a 2008 FZ6 with 4000 miles. Took it to the dealer and showed him the leak. He told me is was not covered since these items are only covered for one year.

As luck would have it, there was a brand new 2009 FZ6 sitting on the show room floor. It was leaking coolant from the same place as everyone else has described here. The dealer then said he would contact Yamaha to see if they would pay.

If they don't fix it I will, then sell it for a different brand. Fairly sure Yamaha knows about the problem and checks this site periodically.

jczlsr

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I did what the dealer asked. Drive the bike a while longer to see if the leak stops. It didn't. The dealer ordered the machanical seal and asked that the bike be left for a week. They did the repair and test drove it a few times. The leak stopped for a few hundred miles and is now leaking again. This time, I'm going to fix it myself. I have the parts and the service manual. The repair does not seem difficult but I'm looking for pointers from anyone who has done this repair before before I start. I have read other forums on water pump repair and it seems most mechanical seals can be pressed out using a home made puller or tapped out. Then the mechanical seal can be pressed in with the same puller or tapped in with a socket. Am I on the right track?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, your on the right track.

I've replaced the seal on KLR's in the past but used a correct sized socket and tapped them out.

On the KLR650 forum, they use a threaded rod with the correct sized sockets and literally pulled the seal out (without hammering) and pulling it back in. Just make sure you use the correct socket (to clear the seal when necessary) and to put pressure on the proper area when installing.

The manual doesn't show any shims for adjustment but does have a bearing, check it for smoothness. A little bit of antifreeze on the rubber seal once installed. The manual also mentions putting some Yamabond on the seal (where it sets in the housing). Perhaps the dealer didn't do this.....

If you don't have a manual, PM me I have an 07 manual in PDF...

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
When you replace the seal, check the shaft for damage. If the shaft is scratched, you can change seals until judgement day and it will still leak.

Fred

jczlsr

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't taken out the old seal yet but the new one has some type of blue sealant band around the metal base. Is this a sealant or would I still need the Yamabond? All of what I have read so far does not mention the blue band.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Yamaha manual says to add the yamaha bond stuff. When I did my KLR it also came with sealer already on it, I didn't add any.

A little bit of the yamaha sealer wouldn't hurt, just clean off all the extra once its installed. Maybe the dealer didn't put it on and it is needed. You'll know once you pull it apart...

I have the manual on PDF if you need to look at it for the install...