gas tank and fuel hoses - question

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a fuel hose under the tank that limits moving the tank backwards or up. how do you move the tank to get to the battery. I did so, but it was not easy. Perhaps I did something wrong ?

Second question. Are there any ways to attach leads so I can charge the battery without removing the tank in the first place to access it ? If so does anyone have a pic ?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

(oh yeah, I have a "new" '06 )

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
There is a fuel hose under the tank that limits moving the tank backwards or up. how do you move the tank to get to the battery. I did so, but it was not easy. Perhaps I did something wrong ?

Second question. Are there any ways to attach leads so I can charge the battery without removing the tank in the first place to access it ? If so does anyone have a pic ?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

(oh yeah, I have a "new" '06 )

The fuel breather hoses you are reffering to should 'pull up' with the tank (black tubes). They hang loose under your bike on the right side, down by your rear sets (brake pedal). When I lift my tank up the hoses also pull up with the tank. You just have to pull the tank back gently and slowly and might also have to unplug 2 white electrical connectors on the bottom of the tank. Remember their order. I also clamp off the bottom of the hoses with small clamps or else some fuel may come out them when you lift the tank up (fuel overflow)

There are some great pics and some more instructions here on this post about lifting up the tank.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/736-acuman-digi-gear-easy-mod.html

watermark.php

watermark.php

Depending on the charging system it should come with leads and insrtuctions on where to attach those leads. I haven't hooked up a charing system/leads to my battery but I'm thinking they might want to also wire in an in-line fuse betwwen the battery POSITIVE (+) terminal and the leads This fuse will protect your battery and charger should a short or something happen. I did this inline fuse when I wired up my STEBEL horn to the positive (+) terminal on my battery.

If you just need to attach leads to the battery terminals, you can easily do so with the tank up and out of the way. Simply disconnet the battery leads attached to the terminal screws and attach any new leads you need to the battery terminal then tighten the terminals back up. Make sure to use a Ring type terminal that fits over the battery terminals. Using a ring terminal will ensure it doesn't pull off it the terminal nut becomes loose for any reason.

348107.jpg

Last edited:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Remove the two bolts near the stearing head (top of the tank)... The tank is hinged... so lift up and use a cut broom stick (or simmilar) to support it while you work. Less fuel in the tank the better. 45 - 60 degrees up is good enough. No need to touch any hoses.
I installed a waterproof 12V outlet in the left side panel fairing and connected it to the battery... for Charging or electronics usage....

Last edited:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Remove the two bolts near the stearing head (top of the tank)... The tank is hinged... so lift up and use a cut broom stick (or simmilar) to support it while you work. Less fuel in the tank the better. 45 - 60 degrees up is good enough. No need to touch any hoses.
I installed a waterproof 12V outlet in the left side panel fairing and connected it to the battery... for Charging or electronis usage....

+1 on this athough I put my outlet in the side of the under seat storage tray adjacent to the seat lock.

Camera%2010-13-08%20003.jpg

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all for the info. I realize there are other ways to search, but I'm not real familiar with this site and I thought this was the purpose of the site...to ask, and get help. I'm sure most questions could now be answered without ever being asked...again, via a search. Anyway, thanks all for the help. It is appreciated.