Gear shift - smooth method advice pls

Thomas

Thomas
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,:welcome:
I need some help and short explanation about gears shift in my FZ6.
I would be grateful if somebody give me some advice how to smooth shift gear from 1st in to 2nd - after 2nd , no problem but 1st to 2nd always big, noisy "knock".
Is that the feature this Fazer gear box so noisy "knock" or maybe I do something wrong?
I am trying to slightly reduce spins before shift and change the gear quick with cluth working only in 50-70 % but especially during fast reduction when start from the signals always noisy clap from 1st to 2nd gear.
I am afraid that I am doing something wrong or maybe this is only feature this gear box?.:confused::confused::confused:
Please advice if have any solution.

Cheers
Tom

S

Shamus McFeeley

The 1-2 shift is the longest because you are passing neutral. You can make it smooth(er) by "preloading" the clutch lever. This means squeeze the clutch lever just past the zone where it disengages. At the same time flick your foot up and make the shift. As you get better with your technique you can apply (very) slight pressure upward on the shift lever as you are making the squeeze. It takes some very precise timing with your hand and foot, but when performed correctly, it will make for a very smooth shift. If you "short" shift and don't raise the shift lever high enough, you will either get stuck in neutral, or the bike will seem to hang up in 2nd gear. Whats happening here is the shift drum is stuck just before the notch for the next gear. If you're having problems controlling the clutch lever you can practice getting a feel for it by sitting on the bike in 1st gear and letting the clutch out slowly until the bike moves forward then pulling the clutch back in again. Once you have got this motion down you should be able to time your shifts better. There are other varying techniques, this is just one that I use, I'm sure I've forgotten something here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with above. This might be the reason that the Fazer is aka "the clunker" in some circles? Smooth shifting of this bike through the lower gears does require precision with the clutch and the rpms.

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
Pre-load works well, I also let the clutch out a little slow going into 2nd, especially in traffic. It gets less clunky when warmed up.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What is your bike's mileage? Mine was clunky when new but now it has 42,000 plus km on and the 1-2 is pretty smooth. That could be due to a combination of wear and tear and experience :)

Nefilim

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand what's so special about preload shifting.

You just squeeze the clutch in and shift once you leave the friction zone and let it back out, right? That's how I've always done my shifting.

Do you mean that you shift while the clutch is still barely engaged in the friction zone to make the chain snap to the next gear?

As for smooth shifts, I just shift at 6k from first gear.

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe with preloading the shifter you start to apply a little bit of upward pressure on the shift lever a fraction of a second before you start to pull in the clutch lever. As you pull in the clutch you increase the pressure on the shift lever. Done right it should be very smooth.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Also if yours is as clunky as mine on the 2-1 downshift - I find that going from 2 into neutral momentarily before shifting into 1 makes it almost silent. My old bike was the same way so it's become an unbreakable habit at this point