Unable to shift into 1st gear

Cm1113

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Total new guy here when it comes to motorcycle repair so ask away and I'll do my best to answer any relative questions.

2006 Yamaha FZ6, ~35000 miles

So a couple of weeks ago I noticed my bike shifting into first gear in a rather weird way. All of the other gears, shifting up and down seemed fine it was only first gear. Instead of a clean smooth shift it felt like there was resistance when shifting down into first gear, like I was shifting through something mushy. After riding a couple weeks I started having trouble shifting into first, it would get stuck between first and neutral or not shift all the way into first and shoot back to neutral.Then just a couple days ago I lost first gear altogether. Whether I'm riding or at a standstill 1st gear is completely inaccessible.

I'm hoping someone may have some experience with this or have some ideas, good or bad news is welcome I just need to know what to do next, what steps to take, or how to go about diagnosing my issue. I took it to a shop and the guy said he had never seen this issue before, it would require him to take apart the entire motorcycle and he wanted to charge me 1500 in labor alone and that was just to figure out the issue. I'm new to San Diego and struggling to find a full -time job as it is and don't have access to that kind of money. I have a friend who most likely has all of the necessary tools and a ton of experience with cars but little with bikes, we're willing to tackle this job ourselves if we can get the proper guidance.

Hoping to get some advice from you experienced guys out there.

Thanks!

*Update*

I tinkered with the clutch cable adjustment near the clutch handle once I talked to a friend of mine and was able to reach first gear for the first time in a few days. It still doesn't feel totally natural but maybe there is more than 1 adjustment on the cable that I can access? He thought 35k miles was a little early to suspect a burnt out clutch but it is in the realm of possibilities.

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Going to throw it out there before others are able to help you:

Does it change if the bike is on or off?
Hot or cold?
Did you do anything abnormal prior to this problem happening?
Have you tried rocking the bike back and forth a bit while trying to drop it into gear?
Clutch freeplay? (sort of redundant, I know)

Last edited:

Cm1113

Reaction score
Visit site
Same if the bike is on or off, hot or cold.
When I took it to the shop to have the sprockets and chain replaced they adjusted my clutch cable. (I recently just updated the post, possibly simultaneously as you posted with some new info)
I have tried the rocking method
I only needed to pull the clutch about a half inch before it was fully engaged. This is not how I had it before I took it to the shop.
After adjusting the clutch to require a greater pull I was able to hit first gear, although not as easily as I should be able to, I have to use a bit of extra force to reach 1st.

Also bike is due for an oil change. Filter already ordered.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The issue is NOT un-common and usually a simple fix.

The issue started after the clutch cable adjustment. There is a mid section adjustment but if the flee play is correct, your fine there.
The cable likes to be lubed regularly or will hang up (very likely). With the miles on the cable, I would simply replace it (lube it BEFORE
INSTALLATION). That alone will make a world of difference...

Other maintenance points that'd help:
On the left / shifter side of the bike, when you move the shifter lever, you'll see a long arm moving (forward and back slightly).
On each end is a joint inside a rubber boot. Spray the snot out of it with Liquid wrench (or similar-NOT WD40). Crud builds up in there
and hampers shifting.

Other things that'll help:
There's also one bolt that holds the shifter lever on. Remove that, clean and re-grease.

Make sure the cable is adjusted correctly and that the cable does have free play at the perch.
You can play with the adjuster and see what helps.

Probably not an issue but worth mentioning. Make sure your chain is clean, well lubed
AND ADJUSTED correctly.. On the CC, there should be about 2" TOTAL up and down
at the tightest point (measured on the bottom at about the end of the plastic guard).

The FZ has a very loose setting for the chain (more so than most bikes) and many
mechanics tighten it too much causing other issues.

If you need the owners manual, to check your basic adjustments, PM me with an e-mail
address and I'll send it to you..

Worth mentioning but probably not your issue (as it was fine before), make sure the shifter itself is
NOT HITTING ANYTHING PHYSICALLY when shifting down to first. If the lever is adjusted too
low, it CAN hit the frame and prevent FULL MOVEMENT,,

**Also, RUN from THAT MECHANIC. Find someone that knows what their doing, (or isn't looking to screw you).
He should have at least lubed that cable, takes maybe 15 minutes..

Last edited:

Cm1113

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh wow, Thank you so much for all that info!
I'll take some time when I can to knock out those suggestions. I'll purchase some liquid wrench and it looks like a new clutch cable if necessary.
Is replacing the clutch cable something that a layperson could do?
There is no physical blockage near the shifter, I did make sure to check that originally, and the sprockets and chain are brand new and lubed so I'm good there.
I still can't believe that the mechanic didn't even think to mess with clutch settings for a shifting issue. He immediately went to the, "let's take your engine apart" route.
10 points for the FZ6 community!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have some basic tools and are somewhat mechanically inclined, yes you can change out the clutch cable.

There is ONE plastic zip tie that holds the cable to the inside of the left frame. If you can reach in there and remove
it, (it's hard to reach but do able) you can change out the cable W/O lifting the tank.( I cut mine of at least 5 years ago
and have pulled the cable to adjust the mid section adjuster as the cable stretches over time).

By the book, you need to raise the tank, remove the entire air filter assembly (not hard, some hoses but you need a long
allan key tool to reach all 4 clamps) Once that's off, you can see / access the cable and swap it. A little more involved but again do-able...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh wow, Thank you so much for all that info!
I'll take some time when I can to knock out those suggestions. I'll purchase some liquid wrench and it looks like a new clutch cable if necessary.
Is replacing the clutch cable something that a layperson could do?
There is no physical blockage near the shifter, I did make sure to check that originally, and the sprockets and chain are brand new and lubed so I'm good there.
I still can't believe that the mechanic didn't even think to mess with clutch settings for a shifting issue. He immediately went to the, "let's take your engine apart" route.
10 points for the FZ6 community!

Although the sprockets and chain have been replaced and lubed make sure there is proper slack in the chain! :) Where in SD are you?