Gearbox grumbles

smist

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys (and Gals),

I have recently noticed a whining sound from my gearbox - a bit like a diff that is on its way out. The whine comes in at around 50Mph, 4000 revs, 5th gear and goes away when I increase speed / change gear.

Because the weather has been a bit warm lately, I have been riding with the visor on my helmet slightly open, so the noise may have always been there.

The noise can also be provoked at most speeds by giving the clutch lever a squeeze and letting the bike coast.

I have read some other posts on this forum to do with this whine, but mine seems to be a bit different to those described.

I have checked the chain tension and it is ok, but did notice that if I engage 1st gear (with engine off and bike on centrestand) and attempt to move the back wheel, it moves about 2 inches from side to side before I feel the resistance from the gearbox / engine - is this normal?

My bike is an '08 silver fazer with 5000 miles on the clock. Only had it 12 months now and it has just recently been serviced - and oh yes - I don't thrash it!

Can anyone tell me if the 'play' on the back wheel / final drive is normal?

Thanks.

...when I said I checked the chain tension, that was partially true; did it about 1 1/2 months ago - did not expect it to have changed.

My bike had a service about 3 weeks ago and the dealer must have removed my back wheel as part of the service / checks.

When I measured my chain tension before the service it had around 50mm slack (manual says 45 - 55). I always place marks on the threads of critical fixings such as those holding wheels on, so that I can visually check if any of them have vibrated loose.

Just checked my rear axle thread this evening and the marks were missing. When I checked the chain tension, it was 30mm! Damn, that thing was like a guitar string.

Re-adjusted my chain and torqued everything back up and took the bike out for a long ride - wow, no noise! Even gear shifts were much slicker. Can't believe the dealer would have over-tensioned the chain.

I hope I haven't caused any permanent damage while riding the bike for the last 3 weeks.

I would still be interested if anyone has an answer to the question of the 'play' on the final drive of the gearbox.

Back