gearing for freeway?

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Have any of you guys actually geared your bikes for higher speed? While traveling on the freeway today where the speedlimit is 70, my bike had to be around 6k rpm to keep at a speed where i didnt have people on my tail the whole time. I was thinking of changing out sprockets to keep the rpms lower for an 80 mph avg. What would you guys recommend? I was thinking of 42t on the rear since I cant find a 17t front sprocket.

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
The 17 tooth front has been done, I don't remember by who but I remember several that have done it and liked it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you serious? The Fz6 is not a car. Your bike redlines around 13,000, 6000 isn't even halfway. The FZ doesn't even come alive until 8000rpms.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with VEASRIDER and Red_Wazp, I think the stock gearing is OK. But if you do a lot of freeway commuting then, you can find a 17T here. This should bring down the revs a bit.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know. At 6k my engine is barely touching it's power and I still have to shift down at least once if not twice to make a quick pass. I'm pretty happy where it is.

For those looking for lower freeway RPMs what RPMs do you turn on the street? I keep mine between 4-6k for street riding too and let it scream every now and then on a straights, tight curvy roads, or when I'm bored. I almost feel bad that I don't take it up to 10k more often. :don'tknow:

Edit to add: My bike isn't bad vibration wise but the 5-6k range is where my vibs are the worst. Not sure I'd want to sit in that vibration sweet spot on the highway.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My concern is going 85 for an hour at 7.1k rpm. I would like it to be 6.5 or lower at 85 since thats my avg cruise speed.

I do quite a bit of touring with "sport" gearing of 14/47, and my bike sits at about 8-8.5k rpm for hours on end....there seems no sign of stress, i just change the oil every 4000km's to keep things running clean.

After 30000km's, the engine still runs very quietly.

I dont see any concern with the bike running at a constant 7k rpm.

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Now with all this "its fine at high revs" talk im not so worried but I wouldnt mind it a little lower. I wish I could just install a 7th gear...