Givi hard cases on order...

hoser183

Member Minimus
Reaction score
www.reflectiveessence.com
Hey everyone, about two weeks ago I ordered a complete set of hard-sided Givi bags for my 2008 FZ6 (in clear coat glossy black to match my "FASTER than BLUE" :eek: black FZ6). Of course this time of year they are back-ordered and they are telling me it will still be two weeks until they arrive. I am anxiously waiting them as I want to go touring before winter sets in here and I have to park the bike.
Does anyone have pics of all three Givi cases (two on the side and the top mount) installed on their FZ6? I have seen some of just the side cases and lots of just the top mount case, but not one with all three cases. Anyone have any installation suggestions for these as well (or horror stories)? I will be installing them myself once they arrive.
Thanks!
Jason

A

Aggietaco

You can check out the product pages on Twisted Throttle. They usually show some setups on FZ6s or similar bikes.

pointbreak

Reaction score
Visit site
I fitted a mono rack (351FZ) and M5 plate tonight. Bought the V35 panniers and no top box but had to buy 351FZ because the 'KIT' was not available from anywhere and the Italians are still on holiday. Was told by local Yamaha dealer that using the 351FZ instead of the PLX360KIT provided a stronger structure for supporting the panniers. They had an FZ1 which had panniers using the PLX360KIT and was shown why the 351FZ was a better solution. I didn't want a top case bracket but now it's installed it looks good.
The first task is to remove the side cowling (if that's what it's called). There is an allen key bolt (looking from above) and a screw (looking from underneath) to undo. The left and right of each side cowling is pushed into rubber grommets. I found it easier to use the flat head of a screw driver and place it on the plastic pin and push the pin out from behind the grommet rather than just pulling on the nicely painted cowling waiting for it to 'pop' out.
Then you remove the rear grab rail assembly which is easy. As I removed it (standing at the back of the bike) twisting the whole assembly over to the left of the bike seemed to work (the cable for the rear light is attached to the left cowling so it has to go that side anyway). The tail light holder requires a twist and a pull to come out.
Then remove the silver exhaust covers. After you have undone the two screws (requires quite an initial twist), stand at the rear of the bike and pull the whole plastic assembly towards you (I couldn't figure at first how it was connected and whether it lifted up or what).
The first Givi fixings are inserted into the tubular frame. Note that the cone-shaped fixing goes into the tubular frame fat end first. Also inside the tubular frame there is a weld line and the slots cut into the long barrel shaped Givi fixing are intended to accommodate this line. I didn't see this at first and wondered why the fixing was difficult to push into the tube.
The next steps in the instructions are straight forward. (the instructions are very good by the way)
I cut the adhesive foam strip in half before applying it to each of the two brackets. It is intended solely to protect the silver exhaust covers from the brackets.Trying to secure these 'C' shaped brackets around the silver exhaust cover proved to be very difficult. It is very difficult to get the allen key to the bolt that is required under the exhaust cover. I had to force the allen key under the cover to tighten the bolt which resulted in marking the underside of the exhaust (not seen by anyone but I didn't like doing it). Then getting the bolt into the tubular frame required some force on the 'C' shaped bracket to line up the holes.
I thought everything was well thought out by Givi except for the fitting of these 'C' brackets around the exhaust cover. Maybe it was my bike and I hope no-one else has this difficulty.
Fully assembled, I am very happy with the quality and look of the mono rack and plate.
Tomorrow I will be fitting the PLX360 tubular side brackets for the V35 panniers which look easy apart from modifying the indicator arms with the supplied extenders.

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just put the top and side rack on mine. Start to finish, about 8 hours of work. I am not a mechanic and made a couple of mistakes which resulted in backtracking. The main problem was that with the turn signal relocator the stock wires were too short. And make sure when you install the brackets it is to the inside (narrower) as opposed to the outside (wider). Also the fender has to be modified for the cross bar to fit. (I know, I know, FE kit)

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
Does anyone have pics of all three Givi cases (two on the side and the top mount) installed on their FZ6?
Thanks!
Jason

Here you are, Jason! I have the V35 side cases and V46 top case.
sideview.jpg

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
Anyone have any installation suggestions for these as well (or horror stories)? I will be installing them myself once they arrive.
Thanks!
Jason

Jason, I tried to install the top-case rack myself, but the deeper I got into it, the more I realized I was getting in over my head. The brackets mount to the frame of the bike, and getting to the frame requires removing the side panels, the tail-light assembly, and the exhaust heat shields. At that point, I called it quits, bundled everything up and took it to the Yamaha dealer and had them do it. YMMV

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Removing the rear parts of the bike isn't too hard...I had to do it to paint my exhaust covers...take your time, make sure you know which bolts go where, and follow the service manual or schematics on how it all goes together. You can do it.

hoser183

Member Minimus
Reaction score
Thanks agmom!
I received the top-mount case today, unfortunately not the side cases even though they were *supposed* to be shipped all together.
I love the top-case though, I paid the extra for the "clear-coat" black so it matches the glossy black of my FZ6. Should look good once I get all the bits and can install them.
I appreciate everyones tips!
Jason

5272red.jpg

5273red.jpg

Last edited:

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
How much is the mounting kit and the top box? I want to get that setup, but am somewhat deterred by the price. I have a set of CoreTech soft tail/saddlebags that does the job, but size is limited, and it's not secure. I'd like to be able to throw helment and full riding gear in the topbox and lock it. When I get close to really buying it, I'll have to do the research to figure out what size top box I need.

hoser183

Member Minimus
Reaction score
I seem to have misplaced my receipt for this. :spank:

However I do know for all three cases and required mounts I spent +/- $1100 (here in Canada).:canada:
Not cheap given the whole bike was $7300 brand new here. But what great looking bags! The quality of the top box I do have is excellent! And I also bought the Admore lighting LED kit for the top box.

Not sure what you might be able to get it for in CA. Yamaha also makes a nice top-mount box, but not hard side cases so you'd need to go with soft panniers.

J

pointbreak

Reaction score
Visit site
V35 cases do not sit symmetrically

Hi. Having installed the Givi items (see previous post in this thread), looking at the front of the bike, I see that the left case's front edge sticks out further from the bike than the right case. It's not possible to put the V35 brackets on the wrong side so it can't be this.
I have determined that the pillion's right foot rest bolt is positioned further away from the centre of the bike than the pillion's left foot rest bolt. The V35 brackets each side are fitted on to this bolt. So I either have badly positioned pillion footrests or Givi have not taken this into account when making the brackets. These cases are promoted as sitting more closely to the bike. The right case does (looking at the font of the bike) but I am not happy with the left case. Has anyone else noticed this? I took some time to install this kit and am pretty confident the installation is correct.

hoser183

Member Minimus
Reaction score
Finally got my cases on... it took me about 6 hours, but I bet I could do a second set in about an hour now that I have it figured out! The hardest part is figuring out the moving and re-wiring of the rear signal lights. Givi includes essentially no instructions on how to do this part! I did find a previous post from someone that said you did not need to lengthen the stock wiring if you drilled two small holes for the wiring between the rear reflector and the licence plate light. This user was right! They fit then! But just barely. Anyway, its done and I am happy with it. Although with the racks on it the cool "naked" look is disrupted even when you take the cases off. Oh well. Compromise.
:rockon:

A

Aggietaco

Do you think you would have gone with the SW motech's removeable mounts looking back? I fought with the same decision, but the Givi's are much cheaper.

I

inkrediboy

Quick question -
Sorry for the stupid question but standard tail bags are not an option for you guys on the FZ series? Do you guys have removal rear seats compartments?

Was asking because I got these on order, and will be receiving them today :rockon:

Kriega US-20

Wasn't sure if modular, interchangable and quick removalable tailbags were options for you guys on the FZ's.

Thanks,
RA

A

Aggietaco

They are, but then again they aren't what those of us who have hard bags are looking for. I don't leave anything on my bike that can be easily removed when I park it, and I have no desire to carry around a tail bag when I'm running errands.