Grip glue?

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on the grips you have.

I used some grip glue on my grip puppies.

My brother used hair spray.

+1 on the hairspray.

Hairspray rocks; let it "cure" overnight, holds tight, and relatively easy to remove should you need to.

If you can find it, Aquanet is like the JB Weld of hairsprays.... :BLAA:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've not had to use any chemicals on new grips (I can think of at least 4 sets that I've changed in recent years) and they've always stayed in place fine.

I do use an air compressor to remove / install grips though.

D

Dave.TX

Can't remember if the grips came with glue or I purchased it with them. I wound up not using the glue, grips held just fine. S'pose it depends on the grips and the handlebars. Used the same grips on Renthal and Rizoma bars, no slippage.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
another thing about hairspray (and i use it) is that it will not stick to Renthal grips. i used to go through grips almost every other set of tires on my dirtbikes and one thing that i found was that Renthal grips are very picky about what they stick to (obviously Renthal's glue works best)

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
Done.:thumbup:

I put those same grips on last August. How do you like them? I had some cheapo rock hard ones that came with the bike when I bought it 4 years ago, and love the ones I have now.

As for a "glue", I used brake cleaner. It melts the rubber just a little bit, when it evaporates, the grip is pretty much molded to the bar.
Only issue, is that you need to be FAST with this, as it evaporates quick. It was mid August in Ontario, probably 25C out when I did it. I sprayed lots of it inside the grip and on the bar so it helped it slide on, but a couple seconds after I got them slid on, they were solid.

I also had my grips sitting in direct sunlight on the black rubber of my tailgate for a while so they were nice and soft.

I've used Renthal glue so many times now on my MX bike and have had grips come loose on me too many times, so now I glue AND wire the grips and no more slipping on the MX bike.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I was successful in removing the stock grips, adding heaters and reinstalling without glue. They moved at first but 'cured' in place after a few heat cycles.