Handlebar Replacement

WestleyB

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently had an accident on my 2007 FZ6 but i was able to get the bike started and even rode it around a few hours later. Beside lots of cosmetic damage, the handlebar is pretty bent on the right hand side (bike fell on the right side) as the tank landed on to of it. Ive ordered a new set of handlebars already but just wanted to know if anyone knows how difficult this will be or has any tips from experience or anything for me.

Thanks

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your spill. Hope you were geared up and kept all of your skin. :eek:

Handlebars are EASY to replace. I changed out my stock ones for the FZ6R bars this past winter.

You'll need 5 & 6 mm hex wrenches, sockets for 8 & 10 mm, and a Phillips head screwdriver.

The only challenging part is to remove the left bar grip. Easiest way is to use a small diameter rod. A brazing rod or straightened coat hanger wire will do, remove any burs. Make a solution of water & dish detergent - e.g. Dawn. Apply the solution then start to insert the rod. Squirt the solution at the gap that opens and roll the rod so that it goes around the circumference of the bar. Keep going around and pushing in farther till the grip is loose on the bar. Before reassembly, wash all of the soap from the grip. Install it on the new bar while it's wet. Rotate the grip a bit to displace most of the water. The grip might be a bit moveable for days till it dries completely, but not too bad.

Good luck!

WestleyB

Reaction score
Visit site
I got super lucky and thrown into a roadside swamp pond thing :D

but thanks for the advice...hopefully i can get all this going next week and not screw anything up. probably alot cheaper than going to a dealer...
Thank you!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

Make sure you invest in good gear. I know it's hot in Fla. but it's even hotter without skin. :eek: The incident should have you inspired to get some decent gear if you haven't already and then replace your bars.

Good thing the gators didn't get you! Lol! :rolleyes:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got super lucky and thrown into a roadside swamp pond thing :D

SPLASHDOWN!!! :thumbup:

+1 to Cliff's push for gear. It's RATHER unusual to find a soft - nonabrasive landing spot.

Definitely cheaper to DIY and a good confidence builder. Just make sure everything is torqued correctly. DO NOT overtighten the screws for the plastic mountings to the throttle and the turn signal selector.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitly a do it your selfer project.

If you have an air compressor, you can often point it inside the edge of the grip and "expand the grip" for easier removal. It'd likely be much easier once the bar is OFF the bike and nothings in the way.

Lots of towels on the tank too.

Maybe another hand to hold the front brake master cylinder upright so it doesn't spill brake fluid.. (pull that least and replace first once the new bars are on).

BTW, the rt side electrical switch, there 3 screws holding it on. Of course their 3 different lenths so pay attention to that. As it went down on the right side, check the inside plastic throttle tube for damage(should be ok) and for any dirt inside the tube. Clean and very light coating of oil helps.

And lastly, when doing the throttle assembly, as a short cut, you should be able to loosen up the assembly, slide the old bars off to the left(off the throttle, and slip the new bar into the throttle then bolt down to the upper triple)

It'll save you pulling those three screws out, loosening up throttle cables, etc..

BTW, the handle bar weights, the outer hex head is what you'll be using to R&R them ..

Have fun and post how it goes!

Last edited:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site

^ scott pretty much covered it all, but this function should help with your quest
Couple good how to's on the forum with pictures and detail.