Headlight Mod question

fz6alain

Reaction score
Visit site
I was reading up on biker_dude43 headlight mod instructions and I'm a bit confused . Now here's a few options that I think can happen:

1. switch on low beam -> both lights low beam
switch on high beam -> both lights on high beam

2. switch on low beam -> one light low and one light high
switch on high beam -> one light low and one light high

3. switch on low beam -> both lights low beam
switch on high beam -> one light low and one light high

I looked at my light connectors and they both only have 2 wires going to them. So if you have done the mod and can help me I'd appreciate it.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The right hand headlight has the high beam. It also has a low beam that is not used. All you have to do, is run the same wire(splice into it however you see fit) that goes to the low beam on the left hand light to the empty pin on the right hand light. Hope that helps!:Flash: (this is for a 2008 model - I'm assuming it's the same for the 2006)

Last edited:

fz6alain

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok but does the left side only use low beam, because it only has 2 wires going to the connector?

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
As your sitting on the bike the left side is just a low beam. The right side is just a high beam, but has the capability to be both. It also has only 3 wires going to the bulb, but you can add another to make a low beam out of it. Option 3 above is what you will end up with.

fz6alain

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so I should be able to get Option 1 if I run a extra wire to both? Or will that overload the system and blow a fuse? Because I'd like to have both lights on high beam if I can.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so I should be able to get Option 1 if I run a extra wire to both? Or will that overload the system and blow a fuse? Because I'd like to have both lights on high beam if I can.

Let me see if I can clarify:

Left Headlight = H7 bulb
This bulb has only one filament, that is used for low beam only. It is NOT possible to make this one run as low AND high unless you convert the fixture to an H4 bulb (see below).

Right Headlight = H4 bulb
This bulb has two filaments, one for low and one for high beam. In our bikes, the low beam is not hooked up from the factory, but you can hook it up using the DIY guides on this forum.

In summary, if you do the dual headlight mod correctly:
low switch: both on low beam
high switch: left is low beam, right is high beam

RedX7

Invincible, almost
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't mind me piggy-backing, I have a question for you guys about headlights too. I just received my demon fairing today, and each headlight has three wires going to it. I know two are hot and one is ground. Is it safe to assume one wire low, one high, and the other ground? Thanks for the help.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

No, you can't in it's stock form. The right and left bulbs are not the same. The right bulb is a dual filament bulb(allowing both low and high beams), and the left bulb is a single filament bulb that isn't able to do high beams. You will need to alot more modding to get true dual high/low setup.

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry for the bad news but i'm pretty positive that a H4 bulb doesn't fit in a H7 socket. :( correct me if i'm wrong fella's

D

D-Rock

that was easy! I went out in the shop and it took me 5 minutes to mod my headlights.. awsome. I just rode home in the dark and was thinking it would be great to have the other low beam working. Now I need to go buy a better H4.