headphones or speakers

rakhan

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking for some headphone or speakers so I can listen to music will riding. I don't want to spend much money on this thinking 50 or less. Everything I have seen doesn't seem to be loud enough based on reviews. Any ideas?

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Sound Isolating Earbuds. Can get a decent set at Best Buy for not much money. Less than or equal to 50 or so bucks.

If you want to spend a little more check out the SURE brand of earbuds model SE-115. The link below is a set like I used to have and they were the best earbuds I ever owned. Lasted years, had good bass response, and blocked something like 19dB.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sure+ear&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sure+SE115&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asure+SE115]Amazon.com: sure ear[/ame]

Right now I'm running a set of Altec Lansings attached to my Sena SMH-10

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-UHP106-Headphone-technology/dp/B001GUNJPG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328035924&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Altec Lansing UHP106 Backbeat Series In Ear Headphone with Ulitmate Ears technology: Electronics[/ame]

rakhan

Reaction score
Visit site
haha sounds simple, when i try that it doesnt work so well. When I put on the helmet it rips the earbuds out

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
You're doing it wrong :p

Or you're using some POS earbuds like the ones pictured below which have never worked for me even when not wearing a helmet.

27740.png

Guess I'll do a video when I get home so you can see. I find I have to use the ones that actually insert into your ears like the ones I posted links to. You also have to be sure to keep the cords from getting caught on your gear or hands when putting your helmet on.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried many styles of earphones, but couldn't get them comfortable in my ear or get a good noise seal or stay in when I put my helmet on. The best I found were the M6 series from Mee Electronics.. I did find out that if you put a helmet liner on so that your ears are covered before you put on your helmet that they stay in better.

I finally gave up bought a set of custom earplugs to cut out the noise and then for Christmas She Who Must Be Obeyed bought me a Sena SMH10 and the speakers are great. I can go for hours now without my ear hurting and still listen to music at speeds in excess of what is deemed legal in Texas.

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
It's more than you want to spend but I love my Scala Rider G4, clamps to my helment and I can listen to music VIA Bluetooth from my phone or Local FM Radio.

Sent from my Droid via Tapatalk

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Nolan N103 w/ the bluetooth kit. Problem solved.

I did use earbuds before (SHURE's to be exact) You just have to pull hard in opposite directions when sliding your helmet on.

ChaosCrayons

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually had this problem too. My helmet kept pulling out my earbuds either when I put it on or when I was looking back over my shoulders. I solved this by going to TJmaxx and buying a cheap pare of on ear headphones, similar to: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V150-Studio-Headphones-Black/dp/B00005QBU9"]Amazon.com: Studio Headphones, Black: Electronics[/ame]

Then I took the removable cheek pads out of my helmet and hot glued the speakers over my ears. I did not want to use super glue or anything potentially corrosive as it is my helmet. when the glue dried and set I put the cheek pads back in, it is a snug fit for the cheek pads but everything fits like it is supposed to and I can rock out to my tunes without having to worry about earbuds pulling out or making my ears hurt. I will toss up some pictures as soon as I get home.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I puchased a portable Sony am/fm stereo and modified it to fit my helmet.

Here's the link for the unit:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRF59SILVER-Walkman-Stereo-Radio/dp/B00006JQ06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328060376&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Sony SRF59SILVER AM/FM Walkman Stereo Radio: Electronics[/ame]

The head set I cut apart and used industrial strenth velcro to attach the speakers inside the helmet. If the speakers are too far away from your ear, a double piece of velcro-attached to itself is inserted to move the speakers inwards coser to your ears. The wires were run inbetween the outer and inner shell. The extra wire (antenna) was wound up and tucked in neatly behind the face shield.

To secure the stereo to the face shield, 4 holes were drilled and plastic ties with small pieces of hose) were attached. The stereo just slips over the plastic ties as if it were your belt loop...

Its attached to the left side of the helmet so I can adjust the volume/station with my left (non throttle) hand.

Also, when the helmet is locked to the bike, the stereo is on the "D-ring" side(left side) so its pretty much tucked up out of the site of the public...

Should it begin to rain, the stereo is simply un-plugged, and put up. When out in the boonies (with no radio stations), I hook up my MP3 player into the headset direct.

Total cost, just over $15.00, time to install, an hour or so. I can hear it with my 3/4 helmet on the FZ (with open Scorps) up to about 65-70 MPH. Been using it for literally years...

Last edited:

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to listen to music, drive your car or buy a Goldwing! :rockon:

Try blasting across 500 miles of flat desert west texas with nothing to preoccupy you but the wind noise and your thoughts. Get's boring pretty quick.

On long tours it's nice to be able to listen to some music or a podcast. I like ripping up backroads to a beat also. Just more fun for me.

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M6-BK-Sport-Sound-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1328076674&sr=8-7"]Amazon.com: MEElectronics M6-BK Sport Sound-Isolating In-Ear Headphones (Black): Electronics[/ame]

I am using these and used them all last year. Sound is fantastic, price is fantastic, build quality is fine (they're headphones and I'm not a sound engineer). Really cut down on outside noise, especially wind, but still allow you to hear whats going on around you granted you don't have the volume up all the way. With my iphone on half volume I get a good combination of music and vehicle/road sounds. The best part is they stay in your ears when you put your helmet on. Best 15$ I've ever spent. When I really notice them is when I don't have them in after being on the highway and my ears are ringing from all the wind noise. IMO they are preserving my hearing by cutting down on overall noise while having the nice side effect of being able to listen to music/hear my phone ringers to see if I want to actually pull off and call the person back.

ETA:

My buddy uses them with a raceiver on his stock car with a 400hp motor and open headers. If he can drown that noise out and still hear them, then they will work for you.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Skull Candy-20 bucks at your local bust buy. You get good sound quality, they're cheap, they're the "earplug style" so most wind noise gets blocked, and best yet BASS!!!!!
DO NOT get the more expensive Titanium version, very tinny :confused:
images

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried a couple different pairs of ear buds/phones with my iPhone that were priced under $40 and I didn't like any of them. They all either hurt my ears, wouldn't stay in, or sounded like garbage. So I finally decided I would try a good pair, I was planning on going to best buy but I had to stop by Verizon on my way and while I was in there I asked them if they had any high quality ear buds, the lady recommended a brand called pure gear. Originally they were $80 but is was black Friday weekend so I got them for $20, but they are awesome!!! They drown out ambient noise as good or better than ear plugs, and the sound quality is amazing, they even have some kick arse bass. Plus the number one thing, they fit my ears super comfortably with the helmet on and don't come out. Even with as loud as my exhaust is on my bike I can still hear my music perfectly!! I don't even have to turn it all the way up either