HEL SS Installation Questions

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey All! It's been a while!

I was just able to finish my R6 fork conversion but one of the 2 of the caliper was not coming off (the bolts were siezed). I literally tried everything, in the end, I even tried drilling a hole straight through them, no dice. I ordered a used caliper from ebay and figured since i have to change/drain the brake lines, i'd install the HEL SS. Well i got everything put together, finally, and im bleeding the brakes but they feel superr stiff. I've not ridden in awhile since the bike has been in this process for a few weeks but i don't remember the brakes being this hard. Also, in terms of the front banjo leading from MC to caliper, i have the banjo thats at a slight angle attached to the MC and the line at the caliper attached furthest out from the caliper (i opted for over the mud gaurd style). Anyone else have this issue or feedback? i still need to take my tire back off to grease the axle and am waiting on the pinch bolts to come in. Thanks!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How the lines (order) of the lines are attached makes no difference.

Re the stiffness, no, activating them should feel about the same. The only difference being the handlebar lever will be firmer (as the SS lines don't expand).

Did you check the "new" caliper? Yamaha recommends SEAL REPLACEMENT EVERY TWO YEARS.

The S2 is especially prone to seals sticking as they age. You don't know the condition of the inside of the new caliper and could very well be rusted inside causing binding.

As you've already bleed the system, you've tackled the hard part. With the help of a small air compressor, it's pretty easy to replace the seals (and INSPECT) the innerds of the new caliper. Seals are not terribly expensive.

*Extensive brake drag is a symptom of seals needing replacement.
The below video is my bike (brakes were just squeezed and calipers/pads in the normal position).
(I also have HEL, SS, over the fender (stock looking), one line to the master cylinder set up as yours.)

If your "Free Spin" is less than 1 full rotation, your brakes need attention:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134237@N06/40215609850/in/dateposted/

Last edited:

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Scott! Thanks for your reply, I Haven't gotten around to replacing the seals yet but I did pull the pistons out and you were on the money, super stiff. I cleaned the rust off best I could and put them back in. I bled the brakes (hopefully for the last time) and it seems that it is more spongy now. I think this is a good thing as when they were stiff, it was either engaged or not engaged, no inbetween. I have yet to check the tire drag. I'll do so tonight when i get home. Thanks for the video, my bike definitely did not do that many rotations (not even 1). Now i think i have to do the same with the rear brake, its has a small amount of travel between not engaged and dead stop. Will report back, thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you made progress..

Well, just the old seals will make the piston movement stiff. Clearances inside are really tight and ANY rust, makes it way worse.

Invest in the seals, they do make a big difference. Better performance, mileage (little brake drag) and "feel" as well...

Last time I did mine, they had some crud (not rust) on a piston or two. I used metal cleaner (Like "Mothers", used for the header) on the pistons and they cleaned up as new without taking sandpaper, wire brushes, (anything harsh, etc) to them..

Last edited:

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
I am more than happy to invest in new seals, at the moment i would really love to ride since this project has taken me far too long. I just spun the front and back wheel... not great. The front is dragging for sure and the back is only getting 1-1.5 rotations but i'm hoping that it may be because of the work and fork conversion done and just hasn't settled properly. I am going for a test ride later today, i hope to report back good news!

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so I took it out for a ride yesterday it seems like it’s working well. The forks are awesome, no need to slow way down in corners anymore due to my Old forks bottoming out every dip or corner. The brakes are decent, I’m thinking they may be a bit spongy so I’m gonna try to add some fluid and bleed them, maybe some trapped air in there. I am a little concerned about two things. 1) my front right caliper (I believe) was rattling when I was applying slow pressure, maybe something got on the brake pads/rotors during construction. And 2) I need to do some research about dialing in the forks. Overall, very happy to back on 2 wheels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk