Hello, My winter mod plans

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to this forum, came from the SBN where they don't host pictures anymore.

Well here is the list of wanted MOD's. If anyone is interested i'll post pic's and info when I get a mod done.

Seat : Dont have a lot of money so I'm doing it my self Again... DONE

Mirrors: Buying ones with turn signals in them. Last summer was scary with people turning left.

Braided brake lines: Found a full set for $90...

Bar ends: I want less vibration from the handle bar.

Grip puppies: Everyone says they are awesome. DONE

Tank bag: For my trips I have planed next summer. DONE Ill have pictures up when it comes in.

Camera mount: Can't wait to use it when I get to Deal's Gap.

HID headlights: They look good and work great.

All New Gear: Already have the helmet on the way. (scorpion 400)

New stiffer spring for the rear shock: Im Built as a big guy and need more support back there for two up.

Front fork oil and springs: I want to go stiffer.

Powder coat handle bar: I want it flat black. (This will have to wait. Cost is about 125 and its not high on my list.)

Well that is it for now. I hope to get all of this done in the next 4 months. I'm thinking I can do it on a tight budget. About the rear shock I contacted s shop in CA they say its possible to redo the whole shock for 300. So i might go that route. PICS SOON....... The seat is almost done as well so ill show you all when its done.

Alright I just got the seat done and my new helmet came in. Here are some PICTURES!!!!

The first picture is of my old mod I did a year ago. It working out great for 3 hr rides. This year I have a lot of 10hr+ rides to go on. The items I use is just temperpidic pillow. This time i bought one with the holes in it. Not sure if it will work better or not. I assume so.
View attachment 24044

The second picture you can tell I cut all the way down staying with in the same area as the first mod.
View attachment 24045

Third pic you can tell I made the area wider. This was to account for the pressure points I was getting after 3 hrs of ride time, I solved it by make the cuts more wider. Notice I put old normal foam back down for the sturdier part of the support.
View attachment 24046

Fourth pic. This is the new foam cut out and ready to be covered. Notice I did not cut down anymore then what you see there. SO I packed a lot of foam in there.
View attachment 24047

5th pic. Not a very good shot but camera was low on battery so I just kept this one. Makes it look really really lumpy but trust me its not really that bad. On the bike and sitting WOW WOW WOW this should work very very well. It cost me $10 to do and about 1 hour of time and research. The back seat was a bonus since i had left over foam.
View attachment 24048
I know not the best looking but really its not to bad on the bike. It don't really stand out my friend didn't even notice till he sat on the bike yesterday so that makes me feel little better about it. Let me know what you all think.

Here is a pic of my new helmet. Which so far I like very much.
View attachment 24049

Last edited:

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you are now going to be comfy! That is a great mod for starts. Stock seat was making me consider a different bike. I have the Scorpion brand helmet, too. I have heard that Scorpion is joining Arai and Shoei in meeting the new Snell iso standard that requires multiple different outer shell sizes. :thumbup:

bergj1986

Helmet Hair
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm really interested in the seat modification, where did you find out how do accomplish this? I'm finding the stock seat painful after about an hour of riding, adding this foam would certainly help!

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
re: Mirrors: Buying ones with turn signals in them. Last summer was scary with people turning left.

I'm really interested in this one. I always loved the signals on the mirrors. I saw some universal fit ones on fleabay and wonder if it's easy to carry the existing wires (maybe with extension) up from the lower front turn signals to the mirrors. Also, I wonder if the new mirrors will be a little closer to the bike but still give the great view the OEM mirrors do. Also, hoping the new mirrors will be running lights too.

At this point, maybe I can ditch those front turn signals without compromising visibility.

Good mod list,

Dennis

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
re: Mirrors: Buying ones with turn signals in them. Last summer was scary with people turning left.

I'm really interested in this one. I always loved the signals on the mirrors. I saw some universal fit ones on fleabay and wonder if it's easy to carry the existing wires (maybe with extension) up from the lower front turn signals to the mirrors. Also, I wonder if the new mirrors will be a little closer to the bike but still give the great view the OEM mirrors do. Also, hoping the new mirrors will be running lights too.

At this point, maybe I can ditch those front turn signals without compromising visibility.

Good mod list,

Dennis

Check this out first before you buy new mirrors.
https://www.kisantech.com/view_product.php?product=VL-20

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
The seat was a do on my own project really. I did it for the first time last winter for this past summer and all summer long i did like 3hr rides. It was great for that but on my 4 to 6 hour rides my ass hurt. So this winter i put more in and took care of the pressure points. I have not rode with it on due to winter but sitting there is so nice. I cannot wait to try it out.

The mirrors I will be buying are the ebay ones. Ill take the dive and see what happens. On the side not here is a link to my first mirror mod. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaSn3t8HqCY]YouTube - Home made Mirror LED[/ame]

The didn't last to long because I ended up scrubbing to hard and made them peal off. I had some great ideas but its impossible to remove the mirror. I broke two of them trying. I heated them up in oven and everything. So this winter ill buy prebuilt and try it out. Yes i ran the lights off of the lower front as well. I have since then replaced the flasher unit so its back to normal.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
No need to remove anything to do the pod lights. Kinda easy I drilled a hole for 10mm LED and that is all i have in there. Those mirrors you linked are the ones im talking about using. The guys check out is all messed up so i have to let them go till the next ones i buy..

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
No need to remove anything to do the pod lights. Kinda easy I drilled a hole for 10mm LED and that is all i have in there. Those mirrors you linked are the ones im talking about using. The guys check out is all messed up so i have to let them go till the next ones i buy..

Thanks for the info. I might give that pod light mod a whirl sometime.

Anyway, I read about some mirrors like that on ebay on another forum (not sure if they're the same) and the guy really hated them saying the mounts were crap. I wish I could find some reviews on it. I'm spooked about them so I won't bite unless I get some good data.

Dennis

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm now that you mention that can you give me a link. I would like to view them and talk with the guy see what the big deal is.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. I was looking at these:

INTEGRATED MIRRORS YAMAHA YZF R1 R6 R6S FZ1 FZ6 600R:eBay Motors (item 290373758405 end time Dec-23-09 23:51:41 PST)

I just noticed they're chrome. Step one would be to paint them black once I confirm they will fit and work.

Maybe those pod lights would be a nice mod too. BTW, on the pod lights, did you have to remove the headlight lenses or were you able to fit them in from the back?

Thanks,

Dennis
Yeah these ones suck. I had them on my GPZ500S. There are pics etc in my site link. The best solution was to file them down a bit and use the stock mount, but they were still really vibey. The stock mirrors on the FZ6 are very solid and don't vibrate too much considering how vibey the engine is. The ebay ones are just light plastic and won't last well.

We need some nice strong mirrors that are already integrated like some of the GSXR ones or a kit that can be be fitted securely to the mirrors. I'm thinking about using self-tapping screws to attach something to the mirrors that should be stronger than glue/tape.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Do the GSXR ones fir teh FZ6?? If so what year?
I don't know if they will fit or not, but they're the same style and will be much higher quality than most after-market ones and have built-in indicators. They are 2006+ I think:-
2006-suzuki-gsxr600-a1.jpg

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I added anouther item to the winter project list. I want better bar ends. I really don't know where to start besides Ebay. Anyone have any bar ends they would recommend? I want less vibration from the handle bar. Also added braided brake lines to the list.

pedge1

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm really interested in the seat modification, where did you find out how do accomplish this? I'm finding the stock seat painful after about an hour of riding, adding this foam would certainly help!

Page 1 I used this guy's seat service, he does an awesome job and the Suprucore material is the best seating option out there. $115.00 mod including the shipping. Do as he suggests and and Alaska Butt Pad and all day rides are a piece of cake.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I added anouther item to the winter project list. I want better bar ends. I really don't know where to start besides Ebay. Anyone have any bar ends they would recommend? I want less vibration from the handle bar. Also added braided brake lines to the list.

I saw these on ebay: Blue Bar Ends FZ1 FZ6 Fazer FZ1N FZ6N S2 05-09 07 08:eBay Motors (item 280403266534 end time Dec-27-09 22:47:26 PST)

I kind of want the gold color for some bling :D as gold/black just looks sharp.

I emailed the seller and asked if they were same weight as OEM and he said:

"Hi Friend,

The weight of our item is similar OEM one.
Please take note.

Thanks!
Jay"

I think that means yes. But "similar" could mean Chinese quality and therefore not as heavy. I'm really hesitant to order from Hong Kong; shipping times and return procedures are not trivial.

I'm tempted to paint the OEM bar ends gold with clear coat.

Regarding less vibrations, I read here about folks putting lead weights into the bars and it helped a lot. But that means more weight and not sure the affect on the front suspension responsiveness -- perhaps very small.

Dennis