Helmet communications

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Nolan helmet a few weeks ago and bit the bullet to purchase the in helmet com system.

Thanks to learning on this forum, I always ride with earplugs. Will I still be able to hear my music, GPS prompts, and even a phone call with my earplugs in? Anyone have the Nolan N-COM B4 Communication System or something like it to chime in?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On my old Goldwing, it had the built in communication/ plug in to the stereo, etc set up. I bought a really good set of wired speakers with clamp on mic's (this is 10 years ago). Forgot the brand name but they were top of the line at the time)

The speakers had a pretty large padded area tha was very comfy. With those speakers, if yours is the same/similar, you shouldn't need ear plugs. I know mine, especially with the stereo, the performance was amazing, 80 MPH on the open road, stereo clear as if your in your car if not better..

Common sense says putting speakers near your ears(helmet), then putting in ear plugs is going to comprimise what your actually going to hear. There's usually adjustments for volumne, etc as well..

You can experiment, but I don't think you'll need plugs anymore..

DaveTheCanuck

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Sena SMH10 and also ride with ear plugs all the time. From my experience, there is plenty of volume adjustment to compensate for the ear plugs. I actually find the audio clearer *with* the ear plugs, as the wind noise is eliminated.

I cannot ride without ear plugs, and would never advise anyone to do so. Mandatory gear for me. I still want my hearing when I'm 80.... then again, maybe I'll reconsider once I'm married.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ear plugs are part of my ATGATT. I use SMH10 and I won't lie to you, at highway speeds, GPS promps are occasionally hard to make out.

But largely because I have a touring screen which directs the air to my helmet, instead of my chest, making for the noisiest ride possible.

Anything under 65, the sound is very clear. At 75, I occasionally tuck down, so I can hear the prompts better.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ear plugs are part of my ATGATT. I use SMH10 and I won't lie to you, at highway speeds, GPS promps are occasionally hard to make out.

But largely because I have a touring screen which directs the air to my helmet, instead of my chest, making for the noisiest ride possible.

Anything under 65, the sound is very clear. At 75, I occasionally tuck down, so I can hear the prompts better.

Ok, makes sense in those circumstances.. Tks :thumbup:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Can I shamelessly thread jack??

I'm considering picking up a pair of comms for the lady and I, We ride seperate bikes.

Considering the Sena SMH10r or the Cardo Scala Q3. Both come in a pair set, and are around $300 for the pair.

Which one should I go for??

Or Maybe something totally different??

DaveTheCanuck

Reaction score
Visit site
Can I shamelessly thread jack??

I'm considering picking up a pair of comms for the lady and I, We ride seperate bikes.

Considering the Sena SMH10r or the Cardo Scala Q3. Both come in a pair set, and are around $300 for the pair.

Which one should I go for??

Or Maybe something totally different??

I had the Scala Q9 before switching to the Sena SMH10. I much prefer the usability of the control knob on the SMH10. Range, audio quality, etc. are pretty much identical between the two. The only advantage the Scala has over the Sena is FM radio (which I personally don't use).

And with that said... I strongly suggest the original SMH10 model, and not the smaller R model. You'll love the controls on it (and you'd hate trying to fiddle with low profile buttons while wearing motorcycle gloves).

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the Scala Q9 before switching to the Sena SMH10. I much prefer the usability of the control knob on the SMH10. Range, audio quality, etc. are pretty much identical between the two. The only advantage the Scala has over the Sena is FM radio (which I personally don't use).

And with that said... I strongly suggest the original SMH10 model, and not the smaller R model. You'll love the controls on it (and you'd hate trying to fiddle with low profile buttons while wearing motorcycle gloves).

No experience with Scala, but quite happy with the SMH10 (the bigger one).
The only issue: when used a lot in all conditions, there will occasionally be poor contact and one of the speakers may go out. The fix is usually unclipping and re-clipping the unit back in.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a set of modified ear plugs that block high db sound but allow a little more sound than the foam type ear plugs. Ear plugs are a must for most of my riding. Riding local around my immediate area is when I don't use them. Most of our riding is out in the desert and mountains where I get a lot of wind noise at speed. I agree with Dave on the glove friendlier SMH10 vs the SMH10R. I rarely need heavy winter gloves so the SMH10R is fine for me. If you want really compact the SMH10R is great. :) The volume is also very sufficient.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Sena SMH10 and also ride with ear plugs all the time. From my experience, there is plenty of volume adjustment to compensate for the ear plugs. I actually find the audio clearer *with* the ear plugs, as the wind noise is eliminated.

I cannot ride without ear plugs, and would never advise anyone to do so. Mandatory gear for me. I still want my hearing when I'm 80.... then again, maybe I'll reconsider once I'm married.

I ride with plugs a large majority of the time too. I was wondering how well the comms would work with ear plugs!

Thanks!