?helmet?

kustom17

Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of helmets are you guys riding with?

i'm thinking about getting the GMAX GM68S in flat black

GMAX GM68S Helmet - webBikeWorld

wBikeWorld gave it their #1 motorcycle helmet of 07... and they reviewed it in Dec.

anyway thought it was a really cool lid and for a 100 bucks can't go wrong

(please refrain from the "i don't trust a helmet for 100 dollars" reply because it's DOT cert.)

anyway just curious what helmets you guys are riding with and which ones you didn't like.

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The wife and I both use the Scorpion EXO 400 tribal.

The wife wears this one V on her red '07
exo400_tribal_red.jpg

And I wear this one V on my blue '07
exo400_tribal_blue.jpg

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My girlfriend and I have the GMAX 68S. I have flat black and she has red/white. Great helmet for the money. I'd reccomend them. This helmet is actually quieter, with my earplugs, than my HJC CL-SP with earplugs on the highway. For something you're supposed to replace every 3 years, you can't go wrong with the GMAX. I haven't worn anything more expensive than my CL-SP which was around $190 when I got it, but I am completely satisfied with the GMAX.

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm buying the GM68S tonight. My only complaint (not having ridden with it) is the mostly-non-washable innards.

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 3 helmets:

Shark RSI - Matt black, nice helmet, very light, quiet at speed. Shame it has no sun visor. Use this one the most.
Viper RSV121 - matt black again, has stereo bluetooth (phone and music audio), and has a sun visor. I got this to use to ride to work with, my boss decided that I was out of contact on the bike otherwise!. It's quite noisey at speed, wind noise, but at low/medium speed it's not bad and the phone works. Flip up helmet.
Takachi TK-170N - Multi-coloured/white. Got this because it's better in the dark for people seeing me. Good all round helmet.

Had I known the Viper was so noisey, high pitched whistles from air leaks, I wouldn't have bothered.

Cheers

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gmax is an alright helmet it is in line with the AFX and Z1R basically decent helmet with a cheap price, I guess it all depends on how much your head is worth to you, I personally Ride with a Nolan N102 $419 dollar helmet, very comfortable, removable liner... etc My head is worth more to me than $100 over 450 you are paying for the name! We sell Gmax and z1r and afx, however I would never wear one. Thats all there is to it. basically same idea as spending $7000 for your bike and going with basic liabilty and buying the cheapest tires you can find, doesnt make a whole lot of sense, however its up to you and by the way Many helmets are DOT That doesnt mean its not gonna crack open that means its not gonna crack open if you fall over, The best helmets are DOT and SNELL approved! Just becuase DOT Says its legal doesnt mean anything basically DOT says its legal to be on the road, most MX helmets are DOT legal..... Many half helmets are DOT also so keep that in mind just becuase its DOT doesnt mean its necesarily adequate!

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gmax is an alright helmet it is in line with the AFX and Z1R basically decent helmet with a cheap price, I guess it all depends on how much your head is worth to you, I personally Ride with a Nolan N102 $419 dollar helmet, very comfortable, removable liner... etc My head is worth more to me than $100 over 450 you are paying for the name! We sell Gmax and z1r and afx, however I would never wear one. Thats all there is to it. basically same idea as spending $7000 for your bike and going with basic liabilty and buying the cheapest tires you can find, doesnt make a whole lot of sense, however its up to you and by the way Many helmets are DOT That doesnt mean its not gonna crack open that means its not gonna crack open if you fall over, The best helmets are DOT and SNELL approved! Just becuase DOT Says its legal doesnt mean anything basically DOT says its legal to be on the road, most MX helmets are DOT legal..... Many half helmets are DOT also so keep that in mind just becuase its DOT doesnt mean its necesarily adequate!

The GMAX is very comfortable, removable liner, excellent face sheild (very clear and non distorting), many air vents, AND has steady/flashing safety LED's on the back of it.

You can spend whatever you want on a helmet. Just because you spend more on it doesn't mean it's better. It might just mean you got ripped off. I wouldn't wear a SNELL rated helmet on the street because the helmet is basically required to have a harder shell to pass the tests they put it through which means it transfers more G-forces into your head when you crash. The DOT rating isn't just handed out. DOT vs. SNELL etc. can be debated all day so that's all I am going to say.

What's wrong with MX helmets? Do you think beacuse they are for off-road they aren't up to snuff with on-road style helmets? They have the SAME basic shell and padding. The main difference is in the mouth/chin gaurd shape and they have a visor and are designed to be worn with goggles instead of an included face shield.

If you're going to crash in a way that your DOT approved helmet fails, you've got bigger things to worry about than whether or not you should have had a helmet that was 4 times more expensive and if that would have made a bit of a difference anyways.

No hard feelings :Sport:

W

wrightme43

Well man, not knocking you, I just disagree.

Price is not in anyway a expectation of how well a helmet will perform in a impact.
I wear a Suomy Spec 1R exteme. Stupid expensive, but it will not protect my brain anymore than the Gmax helmet above. It will look better, it will be lighter, it will have neat features. It is not Snell rated. I picked it because it is not Snell rated. It is BSI rated and subject to batch testing. One of the few that batch test.

Please read this article. Snell is changing thier testing methods.

Motorcycle Helmet Design, Helmet Standards and Head Protection - Gear Box - Motorcyclist Online

In testing the cheapest helmet the DOT Z1r helmet put an avg of 152 Gs into the brain.
The best Snell tested put 181 Gs avg into the brain.

BSI is harder than DOT but not by much and it is the one that requires batch testing. I wanted to know that a helmet run on the same batch as mine passed. I have that knowledge.

ECE is a good standard too.

Snell is just to hard in the smaller sizes. If they had a gradient of headforms/ wieghts it would be great standard. I wear a medium, so I fall into the my head wieghs less camp. A snell helmet will be to stiff for my head in a bad crash that can make the difference between black out and dead.

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I also have Scorpion helmets. They fit great and have excellent customer service if anything happens to go wrong. My wife lost her rubber nose breathe piece, I emailed Scorpion helmets on a Monday night, recieved a responce early Tuesday morning asking for our address, recieved part Friday morning with an apology on the $0.00 dollar incoice.

Customer service goes along ways with me!