Help looking for tank protector

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all. I'm looking for a PLAIN tank protector decal for my black 08. No graphics, no fancy shapes, basically no cheese. A black or clear rectangle would be ideal. I've done some googling but can't find much. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool. a little pricey though and I really only need a center strip to protect from jacket zippers etc.

Look about their site, they have all different kinds of center tank protectors.

From them, when I inquiried:

"Good Morning Scott!

Thank you for your interest in our product. Our grips are Releasable and can be Re-applied however, air exposure can weaken the adhesive. Being Releasable, they do not leave permanent adhesive on the Tank.

We recommend our Grips because they have the Grip needed to stop more smoothly and hug the turns without using one’s wrists and elbows. Compared to our competitor, our Grips are also give more comfort. The Snake Skin is our Premier material and can be used for the more aggressive rider as well as the everyday casual rider. Our C3 material may be nice for you, as they have a padded comfort feel to them. You can look at our different materials at Welcome To The TechSpec Gripster Tank Grips.

If you would like to customize the Tank Grips, you can let us know what size you would like them and we can alter it for you. In general, this part number does not come in a smaller size.

For this bike, we recommend Center Tank Pro numbers 2, 4, or 6. The direct link to these is Welcome To The TechSpec Gripster Tank Grips.

Please let us know if we can answer any more questions for you. Thank you, again, for your interest and support in our produc.t

--Emily @ TechSpec Customer Service

Phone: 775-783-5110

Fax: 775-783-5112

Check us out on Pinterest

Gripsters Tank Grips (techspecusa) on Pinterest
"

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Look about their site, they have all different kinds of center tank protectors.

For this bike, we recommend Center Tank Pro numbers 2, 4, or 6. The direct link to these is Welcome To The TechSpec Gripster Tank Grips.

Here's a pic of their Tank Protector 2 in High Fusion material.

You can't see it here but there is a small bubble at its center edge due to curvature of the tank. Never could get rid of it. Annoying if you're fussy about things like that.

The TechSpec stuff is also nice that you can peel it off if you need to, store it in a clean zip-lock bag, and put it back on later. No harm done.

Last edited:

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the TankSlapper for a while, but the vinyl tore after about 6 months. I just got a carbon-fiber look from Pro Grip 5008:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Progrip-PG5008CARBON-5008-Series-Carbon/dp/B004I9MD2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364426355&sr=8-1&keywords=pro+grip+5008]Progrip PG5008CARBON '5008 Series' Carbon Tank Pad : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

The "Pro Grip" is white on mine, not red like the picture in the URL (although this is exactly what/where I ordered).

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Have the standard progrip like the pictured above but without the side bits.... It's also carbon fibre schemed. It also comes in plain black. I like the CF but then again it blends pretty well with my bike ;)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DON'T get a clear protector - I did and within a very short time it turned yellow. it wasn't cheap either :(

Try ebay for a genuine carbon fiber one, not a printed CF one

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I went with the tank slapper kit.

FZ6, The Tankslapper

CHEAP insurance

I had the full tankslapper kit on my FJR, prett much no issues (just a little bit on the side bag didn't want to stay on). :thumbup:

Today, I received a "Techspec" tank kit (Snake skin) and individual rear center piece, 3"x 5" (that I wanted short and un-obtrusive).

This Snakeskin product seems to be about the best stuff out there. Looks super sharp, IS super sticky, very flexible and can be trimmed (I trimmed the rear small section down just a little).

The hardest part is finding the tank lines and getting both sides, dead on even. I used masking tape after getting one side on, measured the other side and started transferring those to the other side. I also followed the line of the bottom of the seat so it lined up with the bottom of the pad so it all flows together very nicely (making sure my legs/knees would be in the right place).

They say "patience makes perfect", it does.

The black Snakeskin, ties the looks of the black frame/seat/forks into the tank and looks absolutely factory installed. The bike isn't quite as blue now (and I do like this blue alot). Pic's taken 4-10-13

Last edited: