Help make decision fz6 vs 650r

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden both bikes and I like the fizzer a lot more. Even the fizzer is a fine starter bike. If you keep the revs below 7K you'll be fine, but when you're ready to go faster there are another 7K of excitement waiting to be unleashed. Plus it is a lot faster than the ninja.

Oh, here ya go: FZ6 has fuel and temp gauges, the ninja doesn't. At least the '07s didn't.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't worry about the clutch issue. If people bitch about it, they really have no clue what they are talking about.
I haven't stalled my FZ yet and I've done about 500 km over the last 2 days, alot of it in town and heavy traffic riding.
Just let the clutch out till you feel it start to grab, then you give er some gas, let clutch out in a controlled way and you have no issues!
I love this bike, its my first street bike. Nice and calm at lower revs, starts to pick up at about 5000, and after about 7 or 8 she's screamin and really pulls hard. I was out with my step dad today, he's got a 1200 sportster and this bike absolutely kills his.
Great bike, comfortable, stable, forgiving and it looks good (but so does that ninja)

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My little brother got the 650r and he when he came over with it, I liked the looks and all that plastic but when we bolth washed our bikes pre-ride, I was done a lot sooner! hahaha I did get to ride his and while it is a nice bike I liked the FZ better. It might be because I am used to my bike more and I know what it will do (EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING!!!!!) To each his own, he likes his better than mine, but thats cool. The FZ is my third street bike and if they would have been around when I was first looking for a first ride, I would have got it back then too! Have fun choosing. I think you would enjoy the FZ6, but I am biased.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Current Ninja 650 got a new instrument panel which is more comprehensive than before and includes a fuel gauage. Minor point...

bard

Secret Soi Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I worked through the same ideas, mainly due to where I live they make the Kwacker Ninja 250R, Er6-n and f (650R) plus some more machines for Kawa, the price is way lower than the Japanese made Fizzer. I did however go for the Fizzer and I have never regretted that.

Here is my summary;

FZ6 - excellent sport tourer which I can ride in any rpm, so don't understand probs there. I have ridden it on highways in speeds the Kawa can only dream about, on cury roads it is an easy fun bike, in heavy traffic it is smooth enough, light enough and narrow enough to whiteline through it. Then on race track it is very fun as well, done knee down with it in high speed. Just all together a fun great bike.

Kawa plus is for me price, way cheaper where I live, it is a easy to handle bike with no big surprises really. Highway prepare to get passed by any other 600, however curvy roads and traffic great, race track nope any other bike including 250 2 strokes will fly by you. Another minus is the lawnmover sound, it is also a lot heavier than the Fizzer, gulps down more fuel as well and has almost 30 hp less. So for me I broke the bank and got the FZ6 and I ride with guys on Kawa and they all are envious of the Fizzer.

Have a vid from a recent trip where we did 6000 km or roughly 4000 miles in 14 days of fun (did heavy Bangkok traffic, curvy roads, fast highway and race track), on the trip there were 2 Fizzers, 1 XJR 1300, 2 Kawa ER6n and 1 CBR 400 RR. At the end of the trip there were only 2 Fizzers left all others had given up on the way. Anyway as you can see in the vid where I have my cam tank mounted I coast along in low revs most of the time on the country roads with no problem. [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0xY8Knknqc[/nomedia]

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you are looking for the following:)

So last year I bought 2 bikes: 2008 Fz6 and 2009 650R Ninja. Both brand new.

First, I love both of them. They have their little charms but before talking numbers and quality, they are made for 2 different types of people. Tall people or petite women :) I am 6.1 at 210 pounds. 650R is small and not as comfortable. My GF is 5.4 and the 650R fit is perfect for her while the FZ6 is way to big and completely inaccessible.

Quality: 650R is good and has the looks as well. But consider the FZ6 frame that compared t 650R is one piece cast aluminum and no hundreds of welding points between every tube possible that makes the 650R frame. Just that already shows that FZ6 is in a different category and you get a lot more for your money.

Power: Yes, the twin is a no drama all around. And the sound is actually very nice and deep, it really sounds like a beast. That twin you don't have to rev it up to get going. Actually, I never checked the RPM meter to see where I am on that respect. Just a very nice linear power for everyday use. Nonetheless, the FZ6 is actually very OK at low speeds, but yes you do have to rev it up more. Is that a problem? NO! At the end, you drive a bike and it is just a different style, no better or worse. It is not for nothing you have 12k RPM on 650R and 16K RPM on FZ6.

At the end I suggest to go with the one that fits your body first. Style of riding? Both are the same 99% of the time as 99% of that time you are around town going about your life. The rest of 1% doing bad stupid stuff on the highway :BLAA::spank::D like see the MAX you bike can do in a straight line and stuff... well, if you have the 650R then you would wish you had the FZ6 :rolleyes:

FZ6 has a plus on built quality (frame and the known qualit of YAM)
650R has a plus on looks (2009 has integrate lights all arround and already comes all in white lenses that set you up $200 of mods to do the same on FZ6 and still will not get the same slick result as on the 650R)

Last edited:

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are my observations on the 2 bikes

FZ6
Pros:
98hp screaming R6 motor
gentle low end for nervous newbies
FAST!
Looks awesome with a few mods
You dont see them around too often
Beefy 180 rear with tons of tire options

Cons:
Engine buzz at 5k rpm
low end is tame :)

Ninja 650
Pros:
Good looking bike with Typical Ninja Styling
Good starter bike due to the tame engine
comes in pretty colors :)

Cons:
Boring engine
Tiny 160 rear tire
All analog guages

I love both bikes but when it comes down to it the FZ6 is the better buy

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the same discussion with myself but threw in the Suzuke 650 just to complicate matters. FZ fell into my lap at the right price. Had some similar concerns, all of which disappeared less than a mile down the highway.

If you've ridden moto, then the clutch and lower torque shouldn't be a prob at all. I don't find any complaints with low rpms when commuting to work. And above about 7500 spins, you'll be grinning wide. Have put 2,000 miles on my FZ in the last year and like it better all the time. Just a great comfy, flexible bike. Can do most anything you ask of it.

Just a personal thing here...Kawis are more pedestrian, so to speak (reliable but boring) and Yamaha tends to be more for the enthusiast. Spoken by someone whose garage is filled with both. Go with the one that gives you the "warm,fuzzy feeling" and best suits your budget. Good luck.